1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's on your Daily Viewing List?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, May 11, 2013.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    That's correct, they released both films in the same DVD release on 11-28-17. Both movies are on one disc as combined their running time is 155 minutes.

Matt Hough likes this.
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I watched the following two movies using the TCM app. My thoughts of both movies can be found here.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. HawksFord

HawksFord Stunt Coordinator

Maurice
    Shakespeare in Love (1998) - We recently saw a community theater production of the play based on the movie, which inspired us to dig out an old DVD of Shakespeare in Love. It's a fun film with beautiful sets and costumes, excellent performances, and a marvelous story. I keep finding new things to enjoy in the snappy lines filled with Shakespearean references.

Mysto likes this.
  4. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    35 Shots of Rum (Criterion Channel) 2008. Claire Denis' homage to Ozu. A beautifully observed chamber piece of a father/daughter relationship and the eventual moment of separation when she marries. Denis offers information obliquely and one has to pick up the shards carefully. But it is so subtly, so finely done, that it doesn't cease to amaze me. Another great film from this director.
    Behind the White Glasses (Criterion Channel) 2015. An interesting documentary on the life and work of the iconoclastic Italian film director Lina Wertmuller.

5. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    Detective Dee: Mystery of the Phantom Flame. A perfect, reference quality blu ray, amongst the very best i have seen. The image looks like 4k with HDR on my OLED.

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    February 25th, 2020 Tuesday

Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    1080p HD Blu-ray upconverted to 4K
    5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

Raiders.

Mysto likes this.
  7. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Three Identical Strangers (2018): I was sitting there late last night, looking around for something to watch. I have no idea why I chose to give this documentary a try. It was too late to start a movie, but I did anyway. What I found was something more convoluted than an Agatha Christie novel. I mean that in a good way. This film doesn't have one simple theme. There's a lot to think about here. My first viewing went past midnight, so I had to go back and watch the second half again this morning, to catch so much of what I'd missed the first time around. One of my takeaways is that this is one of the reasons I've become so misanthropic in recent years. I kept thinking "Bring on the Matrix, because humanity just sucks." There's an element to this which I find to be absolutely horrific. There's just no horror like reality. Others probably won't have quite the same reaction. I think the documentary is very well done, about something that's probably worth knowing, even if you'd rather not know it.

bujaki likes this.
  8. Montytc

Montytc Second Unit

Tim Montavon
    Once Upon A Time In the West - 1968
    My very favorite western in a restored version on Blu-Ray. It looks great and is still fun to watch. Long on style and probably to slow moving for a young audience, it is well worth the time invested. A great cast is led by Henry Fonda playing the bad guy for a change.

9. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Portrait of a Lady on Fire (DCP) 2019. Exquisite French film. A variation on the Orpheus/Eurydice myth but with women at its center. The final shot, a long-held close-up of the titular young woman whose face conveys so many different emotions while the unseen orchestra at the opera house plays the overture to Gluck's Orpheus and Eurydice, is a masterstroke. Highly recommended.
    The Skeleton of Mrs. Morales (VCI BD Zone Free) 1960. A stinging satire of all things precious to Mexican society: genteel bourgeoisie, religion, sexual repression, machismo, etc. The B&W cinematography is outstanding and all the widescreen compositions are dynamic. Nothing is flat. The ending is a macabre twist that the Production Code would have loved, but that works well within the context of the story. I had never seen this film, but what a charming black humor surprise this turned out to be!
    An American Dream (TCM app) 1966. Woof! Eleanor Parker is in this can't believe I'm still watching this mess. Paging The Oscar!
    B.F.'s Daughter (TCM app) 1948. Stanwyck, Heflin, Charles Coburn, Margarey Lindsay. Four favorites. What's to lose?
    King Creole (iTunes 4K stream) 1958. Elvis and Michael Curtiz. A combo that produced one of Presley's best films, aided by a strong story, strong visuals, and a strong cast of supporting characters. First time viewing.

10. JohnRice

John
    The Matrix (1999): Since last night's movie had me thinking about The Matrix and I recently got the trilogy in 4K on sale on iTunes for $15(!) I figured it was time. I probably haven't seen this movie in ten years. I forgot how freakin' awesome it is. Really, just a blast and a half. I forgot about the little bits of twisted humor in it too. The 4K looks spectacular, except a few isolated shots that were completely screwed up. I don't know if it's a flaw in my TV, but I've streamed a lot of DV material, and I've never seen this before. In certain shots, it's like the blacks were dark grey and the rest of the image was solarized. It's impossible to miss, and it often alternated repeatedly between shots, where one looked fine and the other was completely screwed up.

Mysto and Dave Moritz like this.
  11. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    February 26th, 2020 Wednesday

Angel Has Fallen
    4K Digital / Dolby Vision / 4K Apple TV
    Dolby Atmos 7.1.4

Angel Has Fallen.

The Lost Boys
    1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K
    5.1 Dolby True HD

The Lost Boys.

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
    4K Digital / Dolby Vision
    Dolby

Harry-Potter-and-the-Prisoner-of-Azkaban-movie-poster.

Coming March 6th, 2020 to Moritz Theater
    The Hunt For Red October on 4K UHD Blu-ray and Midway on 4K UHD Blu-ray!

Coming end of March or beginning of April to Moritz Theater
    Star Wars: Skywalker Saga on 4K UHD Blu-ray !

12. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Putting The Matrix in next Mondays or Wednesdays rotation. I have all three movies on 4K UHD Blu-ray.

Movies for next week:

The Matrix (4K UHD Blu-ray)
    Friday The 13th Pt2 (HD Digital)
    How The West Was Won
    Misery

13. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Over the last couple of days:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. JohnRice

John
    Before I Fall (2017): Can a movie be better than it is? The truth is, I'll usually take a flawed movie with a lot of heart over a finely crafted one that's cold and distant. This is the third time I've watched Before I Fall, and I remember the first time. "OK, vapid teenage girl in a 'Groundhog Day' loop. Pretty standard stuff." But somewhere along the line I started being moved by the process of watching her... finally... decide to change things for the better. By changing her behavior and her relationships. Watching the same interactions play out differently is quite enjoyable for me. It's a little on the nose, and if not for the charm of Zoey Deutch in the lead role, it would probably fail. The final scene has never quite worked for me, but by then I really don't care. In the end, there's a reason I've watched this movie three times in as many years.

15. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby
    War Dogs (4k disc), great film, great soundtrack.

16. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Zombieland: Double Tap (VUDU 4K HDR) 2019. Fun flick. No AR change in the digital stream.
    The Traitor (DCP) 2019. Marco Bellocchio's latest. Engrossing film about the unraveling of the Cosa Nostra beginning with the testimony of Tommaso Buscetta.

17. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby
    Pillow Talk - Doris Day's last great film (and my favourite), and one of the very best of the decade. Then the 1960s came along and things were never the same again. Timeless classic.

Mysto likes this.
  18. Message #7018 of 7285 Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    JohnRice

John
    The Biggest Little Farm (2018): Simply...Outstanding. That is all.

19. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Joan the Maid: The Prisons (Cohen BD) 1994. Rivette's conclusion of his two-part traversal of Joan of Arc's life. This chapter runs close to 3 hours and covers the final 2 years of Joan's life. Rivette follows the same unadorned, methodical style of the first part. No spectacle, no theatrics.
    Primrose Path (TCM app) 1940. Revisited this La Cava production which still had enough bite left after Production Code tampering. Ginger Rogers tries to break the chain of generational prostitution. Will Joel McCrea help? Marjorie Rambeau is very good, as is little Joan Carroll playing a "chippie off the old block."
    Friday evening:
    Le double amour (Double Love) (Potemkine DVD ALL) 1925. Jean Epstein directed this story of lovers separated due to man's gambling vice. Woman gives birth to child who follows in father's footsteps. Gambling threatens their lives. Will everything work out for this triangle of erotic and motherly love? Well directed with striking sets that stretch into heaven. The location work is quite effective, mirroring the characters' inner turmoil.
    The Psychopath (Kino BD) 1966. Freddie Francis directed this giallo with plenty of visual style and some creepy moments. The source for this transfer was very rough, particularly the first 2 reels.
    The Front Page (Kino BD) 1974. Wilder's take on the 1928 play is criminally underrated. See for yourself.

20. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I watched Good News from the TCM app. I never tire of watching this wonderful, feel-good musical.