1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's on your Daily Viewing List?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, May 11, 2013.

1. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    Loro - a film about the (s)exploits of a certain Italian Prime Minister. Typical eccentric film by Paolo Sorrentino (The Great Beauty, Youth).

Phantom Thread - fairly enjoyable drama about a dressmaker in the 1950s. Lovely cinematography but not sure i would watch it again. I hadn't got round to buying it on disc and noticed it was on Netflix!

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I want to add some more constructive comments about QT's latest. I can see what people like about the movie, but there was so much that was constantly taking me out of the experience. He can sometimes turn into what I interpret as an overgrown kid showing off all the toys he has to play with. My thoughts were steadily going to the nuts and bolts of the movie, rather than the movie itself.

This is an example of my thought process as I watched OUATIH. "Oh, there's that cool rear-seat-of-the-car pov. And there it is again, and there it is again, and there it is again, and there it is again. Wow, that guy really looks like Steve McQueen! Who is that? I can't quite come up with his name. Huh! They put Leo into a McQueen part. Is that Clifton Collins? Was he really in the movie for 5 seconds? There's Mama Cass. There's Bruce Lee..." etc.

I never managed to get "into" the movie. All I could see was the process behind the movie. Maybe a second viewing will allow me to enjoy it more, but it's just so distracting.

3. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Today I watched Penelope, the Warner Archive Blu-ray disc. I enjoyed it although there were several moments that required a laugh-out-loud one-liner and several other moments that needed the director to remind the cast that surprise is one of the basic building blocks of comedy. It helped - me, at least - that Natalie Wood played the lead. If someone I don't much like had played the lead, the film wouldn't have worked for me.

My next film will be Background To Danger which I haven't seen for a very long time.

4. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    My wife and I started watching episode 1 of Season 2 of Sex Education (Netflix 4K HDR) and then watched Ep. 2 and were suckered in and watched all 8 episodes. It's a droll, realistic and moving view of teens grappling with sex and parental relationships. Starring Asa Butterfield (Hugo) and Gillian Anderson.

5. DFurr

DFurr Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Don
    Tonight is Hound of the Baskervilles, 1959. I'm still partial to the 1939 version.

hound.

6. Toronto Argonauts

Toronto Argonauts Stunt Coordinator

Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
    David Thompson
    [​IMG]

Dave Moritz likes this.
  7. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Watched the delightful AARP Awards for Movies for Grown Ups on PBS. It's good to see awards given to people over 50 and movies created for the adult crowd.
    Then went back to Oscar bait and watched:
    In the Absence (You Tube HD) A short doc about the sinking of a South Korean ferry and the governmental ineptitude that led to the terrible toll of lost lives and the subsequent cover up. The president of Korea was impeached and removed.
    The Cave (Fandango HD) A full-length doc about an underground hospital managed by a female doctor in a suburb of Damascus targeted by our favorite Syrian dictator, aided by our favorite "never lies to me" friend, Vlad. What these people have to live through on a daily basis compared to our lives!
    Walk Run Cha-Cha (on-line HD) Delightful love story about an elderly (younger than I) Vietnamese couple who spend their evenings learning to dance. This short climaxes with a beautiful choreographed number of the couple dancing to We've Only Just Begun.

8. HawksFord

HawksFord Stunt Coordinator

Maurice
    The Hidden Fortress (1958) - A cold, snowy Saturday afternoon gave us a good excuse to stay inside and watch this Criterion blu-ray. We've watched some Kurosawa over the years but for some reason never got around to this one before. What a terrific movie! Kurosawa makes great use of the wide screen, and the influence of John Ford is clear. Great sets, great cinematography, a solid cast, and a compelling story, I don't know what more you could ask for in a film.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  9. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    upload_2020-1-20_15-30-8. upload_2020-1-20_15-30-35. upload_2020-1-20_15-31-13. upload_2020-1-20_15-32-9.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] upload_2020-1-20_15-36-52. [​IMG] upload_2020-1-20_15-38-15. upload_2020-1-20_15-39-14.

a very busy day, and now a break, so i don't sound like Leo Gorcey when i talk to my wife! Natch!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  10. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I hadn't planned on watching it, but I tripped over That's Entertainment III on the TCM app and juts watched it. Always an enjoyable couple of hours.

Jeff Flugel and dana martin like this.
  11. Message #6811 of 7003 Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    [​IMG]

Comes a Horseman
    (1978)
    Very good movie, beautifully shot. The Twilight Time disc comes with a warning about imperfect video quality, but I thought the film looked just fine projected on my 120" screen, not reference quality but very nice. Glad they went ahead and released this fine modern (WWII era) western anyway.

12. JohnRice

John
    I'm sure we're all on the edge of our seats wondering what movie it is.

13. Message #6813 of 7003 Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    It's there on the poster, John, in two different places: Comes a Horseman (1978).

*Edited to add*
    - Oops! It was on the poster...but apparently the image no longer is showing up. Mea culpa. This was the movie poster that I tried to link to in my previous post. Sometimes Google Images doesn't like to cooperate.

[​IMG]

14. JohnRice

John
    What poster? I don’t see an image. Probably access to it is limited.

15. JohnRice

John
    Ready or Not (2019): It was fun enough. A couple cringe worthy moments and some decent bits of warped nastiness. Not quite as amusing as it might have been, but completely worth a watch. The punch line was really good.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  16. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    January 21st, 2020 Tuesday

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
    1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K
    5.1 Uncompressed PCM upmixed to 7.1 Auro 2D

20200121_193903a. 20190120_182554a.

Would love to see this saga on 4K UHD Blu-ray in Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos! Well one of them is on 4K with Atmos & HDR.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  17. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    [​IMG]

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)
    OK, the movie is overlong, the plot ridiculous, and the dysfunctional family elements of the story all kinds of dumb... but, man, did the monster action in this puppy deliver! Worth a rental for kaiju fans, anyway.

Dave Moritz likes this.
  18. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    TV is kind of hot and heavy right now with lots of shows having new episodes, so I haven't had time to watch any of the movies I've bought either on disc or streaming. I have FOUR shows from last night I'll have to get to today, and then maybe I can stream Royal Wedding which I bought on HD from iTunes over the weekend.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  19. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    mix "The Outer Limits" with kaiju and great miniature work, throw in some obscure fantasy of an unbalanced "Nature"; mix well with 2 pilots and 1 female reporter, and do it all in Japanese
    upload_2020-1-22_10-35-33.
    the rubber suits are not always perfect, but man is this a fun series, knocked out the first two disc, props to Millcreek, they have put some effort in this releases, look forward to finishing the first series then jumping back to the Bowery

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  20. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Since I posted here my wife and I watched the balance of the season of:
    Sanditon (PBS Passport HD) A pleasant retread of many of Jane Austen's themes.
    Black Jack (Criterion Channel) 1979. An unusual film for director Ken Loach. A picaresque, yet serious, adventure of a teenage boy trying to save a girl from a lunatic asylum. A motley crew of supporting characters, good, venal, evil.
    Les misérables (DCP) 2019. France's nominated film for the International Oscar. Different, violent, not for the faint of heart.
    Nothing but a Man (TCM) 1964. A multiple award winner at the Venice Film Festival and an inductee into the National Film Registry. This is an important film about the African-American experience in the early '60s in Alabama. The story is told in an almost neo-realist style and it packs a punch as our main character just wants to be treated like a man, not a boy; with dignity, and be able to provide for his wife, his son and their future. Powerful stuff and nary a false note.
    The Ultimate Warrior (Criterion Channel) 1975. Post-apocalyptic NYC. Yul Brynner helps a commune led by Max von Sydow and threatened by William Smith and his gang. Lots of action and mayhem and people behaving badly under pressure.

Jeff Flugel likes this.