What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (5 Viewers)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Loro - a film about the (s)exploits of a certain Italian Prime Minister. Typical eccentric film by Paolo Sorrentino (The Great Beauty, Youth).

Phantom Thread - fairly enjoyable drama about a dressmaker in the 1950s. Lovely cinematography but not sure i would watch it again. I hadn't got round to buying it on disc and noticed it was on Netflix!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I want to add some more constructive comments about QT's latest. I can see what people like about the movie, but there was so much that was constantly taking me out of the experience. He can sometimes turn into what I interpret as an overgrown kid showing off all the toys he has to play with. My thoughts were steadily going to the nuts and bolts of the movie, rather than the movie itself.

This is an example of my thought process as I watched OUATIH. "Oh, there's that cool rear-seat-of-the-car pov. And there it is again, and there it is again, and there it is again, and there it is again. Wow, that guy really looks like Steve McQueen! Who is that? I can't quite come up with his name. Huh! They put Leo into a McQueen part. Is that Clifton Collins? Was he really in the movie for 5 seconds? There's Mama Cass. There's Bruce Lee..." etc.

I never managed to get "into" the movie. All I could see was the process behind the movie. Maybe a second viewing will allow me to enjoy it more, but it's just so distracting.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched Penelope, the Warner Archive Blu-ray disc. I enjoyed it although there were several moments that required a laugh-out-loud one-liner and several other moments that needed the director to remind the cast that surprise is one of the basic building blocks of comedy. It helped - me, at least - that Natalie Wood played the lead. If someone I don't much like had played the lead, the film wouldn't have worked for me.

My next film will be Background To Danger which I haven't seen for a very long time.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
My wife and I started watching episode 1 of Season 2 of Sex Education (Netflix 4K HDR) and then watched Ep. 2 and were suckered in and watched all 8 episodes. It's a droll, realistic and moving view of teens grappling with sex and parental relationships. Starring Asa Butterfield (Hugo) and Gillian Anderson.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Tonight is Hound of the Baskervilles, 1959. I'm still partial to the 1939 version.

hound.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Watched the delightful AARP Awards for Movies for Grown Ups on PBS. It's good to see awards given to people over 50 and movies created for the adult crowd.
Then went back to Oscar bait and watched:
In the Absence (You Tube HD) A short doc about the sinking of a South Korean ferry and the governmental ineptitude that led to the terrible toll of lost lives and the subsequent cover up. The president of Korea was impeached and removed.
The Cave (Fandango HD) A full-length doc about an underground hospital managed by a female doctor in a suburb of Damascus targeted by our favorite Syrian dictator, aided by our favorite "never lies to me" friend, Vlad. What these people have to live through on a daily basis compared to our lives!
Walk Run Cha-Cha (on-line HD) Delightful love story about an elderly (younger than I) Vietnamese couple who spend their evenings learning to dance. This short climaxes with a beautiful choreographed number of the couple dancing to We've Only Just Begun.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
The Hidden Fortress (1958) - A cold, snowy Saturday afternoon gave us a good excuse to stay inside and watch this Criterion blu-ray. We've watched some Kurosawa over the years but for some reason never got around to this one before. What a terrific movie! Kurosawa makes great use of the wide screen, and the influence of John Ford is clear. Great sets, great cinematography, a solid cast, and a compelling story, I don't know what more you could ask for in a film.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
horseman-e1512991603374.png

Comes a Horseman
(1978)
Very good movie, beautifully shot. The Twilight Time disc comes with a warning about imperfect video quality, but I thought the film looked just fine projected on my 120" screen, not reference quality but very nice. Glad they went ahead and released this fine modern (WWII era) western anyway.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
comes-horseman-subway-poster-78-art_375_7d65c94d5261597cfc42f664f62c35d0.jpg

Very good movie, beautifully shot. The Twilight Time disc comes with a warning about imperfect video quality, but I thought the film looked just fine projected on my 120" screen, not reference quality but very nice. Glad they went ahead and released this fine modern (WWII era) western anyway.
I'm sure we're all on the edge of our seats wondering what movie it is.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I'm sure we're all on the edge of our seats wondering what movie it is.

It's there on the poster, John, in two different places: Comes a Horseman (1978).

*Edited to add*
- Oops! It was on the poster...but apparently the image no longer is showing up. Mea culpa. This was the movie poster that I tried to link to in my previous post. Sometimes Google Images doesn't like to cooperate.

Comes-A-Horseman-Original-Movie-Poster-1978.jpg

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ready or Not (2019): It was fun enough. A couple cringe worthy moments and some decent bits of warped nastiness. Not quite as amusing as it might have been, but completely worth a watch. The punch line was really good.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
January 21st, 2020 Tuesday

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K
5.1 Uncompressed PCM upmixed to 7.1 Auro 2D

20200121_193903a.jpg
20190120_182554a.jpg

Would love to see this saga on 4K UHD Blu-ray in Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos! Well one of them is on 4K with Atmos & HDR.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
EDO9rEjU8AEq_Cd.jpg

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)
OK, the movie is overlong, the plot ridiculous, and the dysfunctional family elements of the story all kinds of dumb... but, man, did the monster action in this puppy deliver! Worth a rental for kaiju fans, anyway.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
TV is kind of hot and heavy right now with lots of shows having new episodes, so I haven't had time to watch any of the movies I've bought either on disc or streaming. I have FOUR shows from last night I'll have to get to today, and then maybe I can stream Royal Wedding which I bought on HD from iTunes over the weekend.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
mix "The Outer Limits" with kaiju and great miniature work, throw in some obscure fantasy of an unbalanced "Nature"; mix well with 2 pilots and 1 female reporter, and do it all in Japanese
upload_2020-1-22_10-35-33.png
the rubber suits are not always perfect, but man is this a fun series, knocked out the first two disc, props to Millcreek, they have put some effort in this releases, look forward to finishing the first series then jumping back to the Bowery

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Since I posted here my wife and I watched the balance of the season of:
Sanditon (PBS Passport HD) A pleasant retread of many of Jane Austen's themes.
Black Jack (Criterion Channel) 1979. An unusual film for director Ken Loach. A picaresque, yet serious, adventure of a teenage boy trying to save a girl from a lunatic asylum. A motley crew of supporting characters, good, venal, evil.
Les misérables (DCP) 2019. France's nominated film for the International Oscar. Different, violent, not for the faint of heart.
Nothing but a Man (TCM) 1964. A multiple award winner at the Venice Film Festival and an inductee into the National Film Registry. This is an important film about the African-American experience in the early '60s in Alabama. The story is told in an almost neo-realist style and it packs a punch as our main character just wants to be treated like a man, not a boy; with dignity, and be able to provide for his wife, his son and their future. Powerful stuff and nary a false note.
The Ultimate Warrior (Criterion Channel) 1975. Post-apocalyptic NYC. Yul Brynner helps a commune led by Max von Sydow and threatened by William Smith and his gang. Lots of action and mayhem and people behaving badly under pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks