1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's on your Daily Viewing List?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, May 11, 2013.

1. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    The Professionals (again) this afternoon. White House Down this evening.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    January 26th, 2020 Sunday

Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker
    4K DCP
    Dolby

After this movie hits video and I purchase the 4K Skywalker set I may not re-run all the movies in storyline order since I did this just a month ago. But I will watch the trilogy in order from 4K UHD Blu-ray. There where a few things here and there I did not agree with but overall a good movie and entertaining. So moving foward if there are actually anymore Star Wars movies I would love to know how they proceed forward or do the go back to an earlier time?

Rise Of Skywalker.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

My mother-in-law is in town another evening. So, she, Peg and I watched one of my favorite all-time films:

[​IMG]

I wish this film had won more awards. The writing is sublime. The cast (and their performances) is excellent (and I am not a huge Meryl Streep fan--but she knocks it out of the park here). And the cinematography is sublime. For the life of me I don't understand how Roger Deakins wasn't honored for his role in helping set the tone of this film.

It is probably my favorite dramatic film ever.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  4. Message #6844 of 6950 Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    [​IMG]

The Best of Cinerama (1963) Great, extras-laden Blu-Ray from Flicker Alley. As with all the Cinerama travelogues, there are some dry spots here and there in the film, but also lots of impressive stuff as well...and you can feel the love and care lavished on restoring this piece of cinema history from Dave Strohmaier and his associates.

[​IMG]

Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood
    Loved it even more on a second viewing. Easily at or near the top of the list of my all-time favorite Tarantino movies. I can see how it might not work for everyone, but as a fan of the TV shows, films, music and fashion from this time period, it hits the sweet spot for me.

5. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Nice display, Dave!

Dave Moritz likes this.
  6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Thank you Jeff

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  7. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Well, you can say that about a dozen times. That Academy's lack of recognition of Deakins is one of the greatest shames of their entire history.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  8. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Full disclosure: I stopped caring about popular music circa 1972, so Freddie Mercury's and Elton John's lives and music mean nothing to me. With that in mind, I watched:
    Rocketman (UHD HDR iTunes) I liked this much more than Bohemian Rhapsody, which I found mediocre at best, including Malek's performance. Whether either film was factual or not, I don't care. This was a much better film (if you regard it as a fantasia on a theme) and better performed.
    Thunder Bay (Kino BD) 1953. Good transfer most of the time. Above average yarn for Mann/Stewart fans.
    Christmas in July (Kino BD) 1940. Charming Preston Sturges opus; a precursor of bigger and better things to come. Game Dick Powell on his out of juvenile roles. Very good transfer.
    Tall in the Saddle (iTunes HD) 1944. Very good John Wayne western co-starring green-eyed Ella Raines. Most enjoyable.

It's been a busy cultural weekend. I visited a Renoir exhibit in Fort Worth and attended a recital by soprano Angel Blue. Both were excellent. Not everything is about movies.

Jeff Flugel and Robert Crawford like this.
  9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Tall in the Saddle is among my five favorite John Wayne movies. God, I love that movie! Ella Raines should have been a bigger movie star with her looks and acting ability.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  10. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I have several music friends, and we generally believe that the peak of Pop, Rock, so on came at about 1967-1977. So, you're missing half of it.

11. John Sparks

John Sparks Producer

John Sparks
    This movie had my wife jump and holler, and me a few times, more than she has ever done during any movie while in our home theater. IMHO, this movie was excellent. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Dave Moritz and Jeff Flugel like this.
  12. Toronto Argonauts

Toronto Argonauts Stunt Coordinator

Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
    David Thompson
    [​IMG]

Dave Moritz and Jeff Flugel like this.
  13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Not even a nomination for Doubt.

14. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I watched Between Heaven And Hell yesterday. I bought the DVD four years ago and had never watched it! It's the only time I've ever done that and I can't explain it because Between Heaven And Hell is a good war film from one of my favorite directors, Richard Fleischer. The DVD is good but I think I'll upgrade to Blu-ray.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  15. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby
    Boyhood today (although it might run into tomorrow).

16. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    [​IMG]

fun series, finish the back two disc, Monday morning,

[​IMG]
    Monday night, had a few moments of the old magic, and a few laughs

[​IMG]

Tuesday night, pure joy, tomorrow back to the Bowery......

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  17. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby
    Concert for George -great band and occasion to celebrate the wonderful music of the quiet one.

dana martin likes this.
  18. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    upload_2020-1-29_10-54-8. upload_2020-1-29_10-54-54. upload_2020-1-29_10-54-8. upload_2020-1-29_10-54-8.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

this mornings showings :emoji_coffee:

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  19. Message #6859 of 6950 Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Monday:
    Rambo: Last Blood (Lionsgate 4K UHD Dolby Vision) Oh, I hope so. I watched this because a friend gave it to me, my wife wouldn't watch it, I had nothing else to do. It did look very nice on my OLED. Rambo takes on the whole Aztec empire single handed.
    4 starring Burt Lancaster on the Criterion Channel, films I hadn't seen in many years:
    Come Back, Little Sheba 1952. Great Shirley Booth performance. Lancaster underplays until his frightening drunk scene when all hell breaks loose. Powerful drama shot by James Wong Howe. The transfer is quite serviceable, needing just a little bit of cleanup.
    The Rose Tattoo 1955. The volcanic Anna Magnani. Lancaster plays a simpleton, good-natured man (somewhat over the top). The print is an old transfer. I remember the James Wong Howe's Oscar-winning cinematography as sharp and luminous in the 35mm print that I saw. This one really needs some work.
    Sorry, Wrong Number 1948. The film belongs to Stanwyck. Early Lancaster, who acquits himself well. The print is quite good.
    The Rainmaker 1956. I also saw this in a great 35mm Technicolor print. The streaming print was quite decent. This film has Hepburn at her most moving and ingratiating. Lancaster is on his way to his Elmer Gantry persona. He is very good. The supporting cast is excellent. I really like the story and how it develops.
    Tuesday:
    Three Smart Girls (TCM app) 1936. Revisiting the film that made Deanna Durbin a superstar, and deservedly so. Warm comedy with hissable villainesses. And what a voice Durbin had!
    Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon (iTunes HD) 1970. I avoided this one when it came out. Not as bad as the critics wrote. The story of 3 misfits living together has many affecting moments. The transfer was quite good.
    The Desert Fox: The Story of Rommel (TCM app) 1951. Another revisit. Very good transfer of an interesting film highlighting an excellent James Mason performance as Rommel. Did Mason ever give a bad performance? Was Rommel this broodingly handsome?
    And now for something new and completely different:
    Straight to Hell (Kino BD) This is the Director's Cut of a film originally shot and released in 1987. Alex Cox's surreal tribute to spaghetti Westerns, punk, and god knows what else. Funny, weird, bizarre.
    Obsession (Scream BD) 1976. Paul Schader scripted, Szigmond was the DP, Herrmann scored, De Palma directed (not my favorite). And it has the radiant Bujold. Many pluses in its favor. And yet, too many echoes of the Master. It's still watchable even with the convenient plot holes.
    Psyche 59 (TCM app) 1964. Patricia Neal delivers as usual in this psycho-sexual drama. Walter Lassally's stark B&W cinematography is a standout. Neal's co-stars are also standouts. It may be flawed, but it's still interesting, and the transfer is quite good.
    Whew!

Jeff Flugel and Dave Moritz like this.
  20. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    You had a busy day! :)