What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (4 Viewers)

Toronto Argonauts

Supporting Actor
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson
This is an all time favourite in my household. In my opinion Alastair Sim was the best Scrooge.

7162Fs0UjJL._AC_SL1252_.jpg

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I watch the "3 Godfathers" every Christmas Eve or Christmas Day for the last 25 years or so. It's one of my favorite films of all-time. It became a favorite of mine when I first watched it as a kid on "The Late, Late Show" on Channel 2 (NYC CBS affiliate) back in the late 60's. Talk about a movie that I would pay a hefty price to finally have on Blu-ray. Anyhow, I, at least have it on HD Digital and DVD.
I've seen Wyler's version of The 3 Godfathers in both silent and sound versions in 35mm prints at MoMA, which also showed 35mm prints of the '36 and the Ford versions of the story. All are wonderful films, but the Technicolor and Ford's direction lift the final one.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A Love Song for Bobby Long (2004): I watched this when it came out on video, but never revisited. I'm a little surprised, since this story of finding a surrogate family is pretty much up my alley. ScarJo is fine in this, but it's really John Travolta who makes the movie. This needs an HD release, even if it's just digital.

Downton Abbey, Season 1 (2010): I'd never watched a single frame of this series, and finally gave it a shot. Well written and extremely well acted. I particularly enjoy the spars and competition between Violet Crawley (Maggie Smith) and Isobel Crawley (Penelope Wilton). It's particularly interesting to see history unfolding, such as the Titanic and the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, knowing before the characters do, exactly how profoundly influential those events will be.

At Close Range (1986): A simple, well done bio-pic based on Bruce Johnston Jr. and his father, Bruce Johnston Sr., the leader of a brutal crime family in SE Pennsylvania in the '60s and '70s. This is a low key but well done movie, from top to bottom, with Sean and Chris Penn playing brothers and Christopher Walken playing their father and crime boss. This movie is also buoyed by a thoroughly excellent cast. R. D. Call, in particular, has always been one of my favorite "heavies". He also appeared with Sean Penn in the even better State of Grace, which is one of my all-time favorite gangster movies. FWIW, the best I have been able to discern, this movie seems to be extraordinarily accurate. The Twilight Time BR looks good, as usual.

I was motivated to watch At Close Range during my Nicholas Sparks marathon last month. I always believed quite strongly that in The Best of Me, the character of Tommy Cole (Sean Bridgers), Dawson's (James Marsden) father was inspired by Bruce Johnston Sr. There are just too many similarities. I only bring it up, because a major complaint about The Best of Me is that Tommy Cole is far too sadistic be be believable. In fact, the real Johnston Sr. was every bit as vicious and sadistic, and actually much worse. He's a fascinating study in exactly how evil a human being can be.

HERE'S an interesting editorial from last year, with some first-person observations and recollections.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Taste of Fear (Powerhouse Indicator BD) 1961. Excellent transfer of another Hammer suspense film with twists here and there that my wife foretold from the beginning of the film. However, it's beautifully shot in B&W by Douglas Slocombe and it's still worth your time.
The Indian Tomb (Film Movement BD) 1959. Part Two of Fritz Lang's Indian Epic. This one has Debra Paget's notorious Snake Dance, unseen in the condensed version shown in the USA. It's unbelievable! Vibrant colors, Paget, Paget, Paget. To think that I saw this uncut, uncensored when I was 9!
The Mad Adventures of "Rabbi" Jacob (Film Movement BD) 1973. French farce that is actually funny. Very good transfer.
Marquise (Film Movement BD) 1997. The story of a dancer/prostitute who rises to become one of the great tragediennes of the age of Louis XIV. Fascinating story which for me held great interest. Another very good transfer.
Vice Squad (Kino BD) 1959. Mamie Van Doren as a B-girl who eventually helps smash a prostitution ring. A B-movie that is not all bad, shot by Stanley Cortez.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Downton Abbey, Season 1 (2010): I'd never watched a single frame of this series, and finally gave it a shot. Well written and extremely well acted. I particularly enjoy the spars and competition between Violet Crawley (Maggie Smith) and Isobel Crawley (Penelope Wilton). It's particularly interesting to see history unfolding, such as the Titanic and the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, knowing before the characters do, exactly how profoundly influential those events will be.
Just so you know: Maggie and Penelope keep up their marvelous sparring through all five remaining seasons and the movie I just posted the review of today. Highlights of every season to be sure.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Having just watched Diabolically Yours which involves a man who has lost his memory, I watched another amnesia based film yesterday, Mirage. The DVD is worse than I had remembered so I'll have to check out that new Blu-ray disc.

Now, Voyager has arrived so that's my main dish tonight. I haven't seen this one for a long time so I'm looking forward to this. Max Steiner's lovely melody is already going through my head.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Golden Arrow (Warner Archive BD) 1962. My childhood heartthrob, Rosanna Podesta, with whom I fell in love in '56 when she played Helen of Troy, paired with Tab Hunter, whose trousers grew increasingly tight as the film progressed. Strictly popcorn fare, but fun, and the transfer is fine.
The Burning Bush (Criterion Channel) 2013. No Moses and no W. Directed by Agnieszka Holland, the story of the events after a Czech student, Jan Palach, self-immolated in the winter of 1969 to protest the invasion of his country by the Soviets. A 3-part TV film which is so engrossing that I decided to watch it in one sitting (3 hours 51 minutes). Excellent film.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I dusted off my DVD of one of the classic Hallmark Hall of Fame special (when a Hallmark movie was really something special).

cora.jpg

Hume Cronin and Jessica Tandy were both in their usual fine form in this 1993 film. And they were supported by a fine cast which included a young Christine Baranski as their daughter. If you like films like Driving Miss Daisy or Trip to Bountiful (or maybe, even, the recent films A Dog's Purpose an A Dog's Journey), you should try to look up a copy of this special little film.

This disc has held a special place in my collection for a very long time. It had been too long since it was spun up.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
John Wick 3: Parabellum (VUDU UHD) 2019. Popcorn flick, but it's so exhausting! And more to come...it's so fatiguing.
Victoria & Abdul (VUDU UHD) 2017. For a welcome change of pace. Superbly acted and so refreshing.
Berlin Express (TCM app) 1946. No, not a noir, unless you count the night scenes in Frankfurt. Revisiting this old one for the first time in decades. Print could be better.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
John Wick 3: Parabellum (VUDU UHD) 2019. Popcorn flick, but it's so exhausting! And more to come...it's so fatiguing.
I decided to make a blind buy of all three, since people seem to like the "Universe." Now I'm afraid I'll find them monotonous.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I decided to make a blind buy of all three, since people seem to like the "Universe." Now I'm afraid I'll find them monotonous.

I love that series to be honest! I really enjoy Keanu Reeves as John Wick and the story is well done! I can not wait for the fourth installment to come out.

John Wick Collection.jpg

December 10th, 2019 Tuesday

I have already watched The Phantom Menace, The Attack Of The Clones and Revenge Of The Sith. The goal is to watch all movies leading into the release of The Rise Of Skywalker this month.

Solo
4K UHD Blu-ray
7.1.4 Dolby Atmos

Star Wars_f.jpg

Next year going to frame the original laser disc trilogy in a single frame so I can display them!

Tomorrow I will be watching Rouge One, Star Wars IV and hopefully Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Tonight I chose some light comedy. :P

Never Let Me Go (2010): First, I suggest to anyone who's interested in this movie, don't read anything about it. There's a plot development that nobody seems to be able not to reveal anytime they say anything about the story. It's not like they're giving away Keyser Söze, but it's clear the story is intended for the audience not to know that detail for the first 20 minutes.

An alternate reality story (which is briefly explained before the movie even starts) of three friends (Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield & Keira Knightley) who grow up in an unusual British boarding school. Never Let Me Go is a quiet, philosophical drama, but also Science Fiction of the best kind.
“It had never occurred to me that our lives, which had been so closely interwoven, could unravel with such speed. If I’d known, maybe I’d have kept tighter hold of them, and not let unseen tides pull us apart.”
I have to enjoy that kind of language in a movie, which is a credit to it being based on a great novel. This is a simple story with enormous ideas, like the best of Sci-Fi. It's definitely not to everyone's taste, but I think it's probably my favorite movie of the noughties decade.

Atonement (2007): Joe Wright's follow-up to Pride and Prejudice is also based on a popular novel, but this definitely is not Jane Austen. This is an unusual and surprisingly racy movie about grief, remorse and the consequences of sticking your nose into things you don't understand. While it's masterfully made in the classic sense, sometimes it almost seems like it's going to collapse under its own ambition. It's visually remarkable. I can only imagine what wide color gamut and HDR can do with it, considering how spectacular the Blu-Ray looks. Unlike most modern films, it's not made to look realistic, having a constant fantasy appearance that reminds the audience "this is a movie". The soundtrack is also one of the most inventive I've ever heard, as it blends ambient sounds into the music, and back. I can't help but appreciate the obvious love of film Wright has put on display here. There are several times my jaw simply drops, even after five or six viewings, at the epic scale of some parts of this film. How on Earth did he pull this off?

Still, it is an unusual movie that is probably going to put off a lot of viewers. You simply have to get on board and let it take you where its going. Especially when... well... you'll just have to see. I'm still surprised by how much of an impact the resolution of the story has on me, even after a handful of viewings. I already said it, but this is such a masterfully and lovingly made film, I'm willing to grant everything it asks of me and more. This is truly one of the best examples of why I love film.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Tonight I chose some light comedy. :P

Never Let Me Go (2010): First, I suggest to anyone who's interested in this movie, don't read anything about it. There's a plot development that nobody seems to be able not to reveal anytime they say anything about the story. It's not like they're giving away Keyser Söze, but it's clear the story is intended for the audience not to know that detail for the first 20 minutes.

An alternate reality story (which is briefly explained before the movie even starts) of three friends (Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield & Keira Knightley) who grow up in an unusual British boarding school. Never Let Me Go is a quiet, philosophical drama, but also Science Fiction of the best kind.

I have to enjoy that kind of language in a movie, which is a credit to it being based on a great novel. This is a simple story with enormous ideas, like the best of Sci-Fi. It's definitely not to everyone's taste, but I think it's probably my favorite movie of the noughties decade.

Atonement (2007): Joe Wright's follow-up to Pride and Prejudice is also based on a popular novel, but this definitely is not Jane Austen. This is an unusual and surprisingly racy movie about grief, remorse and the consequences of sticking your nose into things you don't understand. While it's masterfully made in the classic sense, sometimes it almost seems like it's going to collapse under its own ambition. It's visually remarkable. I can only imagine what wide color gamut and HDR can do with it, considering how spectacular the Blu-Ray looks. Unlike most modern films, it's not made to look realistic, having a constant fantasy appearance that reminds the audience "this is a movie". The soundtrack is also one of the most inventive I've ever heard, as it blends ambient sounds into the music, and back. I can't help but appreciate the obvious love of film Wright has put on display here. There are several times my jaw simply drops, even after five or six viewings, at the epic scale of some parts of this film. How on Earth did he pull this off?

Still, it is an unusual movie that is probably going to put off a lot of viewers. You simply have to get on board and let it take you where its going. Especially when... well... you'll just have to see. I'm still surprised by how much of an impact the resolution of the story has on me, even after a handful of viewings. I already said it, but this is such a masterfully and lovingly made film, I'm willing to grant everything it asks of me and more. This is truly one of the best examples of why I love film.
Love both films. Had to read Atonement after watching the film. Should read Never Let Me Go as well. Time constraints.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Damned (Powerhouse Indicator) 1962. Director Joseph Losey's uneven mixture of Teddy Boys and science fiction with an icky romance involving Macdonald Carey and Shirley Anne Field. This is the third (?) time I've watched this fascinating film. The first time was the cut version (35mm); the second time was the complete version (35mm at MoMA). I remember the inky blacks, not quite so black in this transfer. It's good, but it could have been better.
Gang War in Milan (Raro Video) 1973. Now for a disagreeable viewing experience, try this disc. Electronic grain management all over the place. Good story of gang warfare, nicely directed by Umberto Lenzi, but hard to watch.
The Eagle (Kino BD) 1925. Directed by the great Clarence Brown and starring Valentino. I wish the sources had been sweeter, but the final result is somewhat ragged. I recall having seen a better source, but my memory is foggy. Brown shoots a banquet scene with a sweeping overhead tracking shot that he later used in 1935's Anna Karenina.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A couple of weeks ago I bought the digital HD version of The File on Thelma Jordan, and I watched it tonight. The movie is good, of course, but the digital transfer is just okay with a fair amount of dirt and dust and a good deal of hiss on the soundtrack.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
December 11th, 2019 Wednesday

Well fellow Home Theater Forum members the year is almost over and soon it will be 2020! Where we will be enjoying our favorite movies and where we will watch more new movies slated to hit the theaters that will make it to our personal home theaters. May we all have a happy 2020 and are able to continue to enjoy the hobby we all love so much.

Movies in the Star Wars saga that have been viewed so far:
Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars II: The Attack Of The Clones
Star Wars III: Revenge Of The Sith
Solo

Star Wars: Rogue One
1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K
7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio to Auro 2D 7.1

rogueonefanposter1.png

Star Wars
1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K
6.1 DTS-HD Master Audio to 7.1 Auro 2D

87723825202a459e866do.jpeg

The movie that started it all!

tom_jung15.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks