What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (3 Viewers)

Toronto Argonauts

Supporting Actor
Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
Real Name
David Thompson
I dusted off this gem from my DVD library. The PQ was excellent on my 4K display.

517E7BVQG5L._AC_SY445_.jpg

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
Miracle on 34th Street (1947) - Once the calendar turns to December, we start watching holiday movies. I'll be recording appropriate films from TCM, but for the first of the month we started with the blu-ray of Miracle on 34th Street. It's one of our all-time favorite Christmas movies and one that holds up year after year.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Miracle on 34th Street (1947) - Once the calendar turns to December, we start watching holiday movies. I'll be recording appropriate films from TCM, but for the first of the month we started with the blu-ray of Miracle on 34th Street. It's one of our all-time favorite Christmas movies and one that holds up year after year.
. . . and my favorite John Payne performance. In that early scene in the apartment with Maureen O'Hara and Natalie Wood he is so effortlessly charming. I wish he had played more Cary Grant type roles!

Today four new goodies have arrived: Great Day In The Morning, The Bad And The Beautiful, Green For Danger and Phantom Lady. I'll probably watch two tonight and two tomorrow.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
. . . and my favorite John Payne performance. In that early scene in the apartment with Maureen O'Hara and Natalie Wood he is so effortlessly charming. I wish he had played more Cary Grant type roles!

Agreed. There are a number of excellent performances in that film, and Payne is excellent.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This afternoon I watched The Smart Set from the TCM app (forgot to set the DVR to record it at midnight last night). It's a 1928 silent comedy starring William Haines that I had never seen before. Well, I hadn't seen this particular film, but the Haines formula (brash young man too full of himself turns off girl until he can do something noble to win her back) used in so many of his silent movies is on full display. No surprises here, and that's obviously not Billy playing polo in the various games during the movie, but it passed the time agreeably.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Journey Together (Amazon Prime) 1945. Obscure but quite interesting British film directed by John Boulting. It's about a group of RAF and CRAF men who undergo training in the USA and Canada to later go on flying missions over Germany. Edward G. Robinson is one of the instructors, and the one civilian, along with Bessie Love. It holds up quite well. I was pleasantly surprised, and the print is not bad at all. A curio today, but a good one.
Oh, and all the actors, and you'll recognize a lot of them, look so very young...
Edit:
Rogue Male (Amazon Prime) 1976. Old and tired transfer of this version of Geoffrey Household's fine novel filmed once before by Fritz Lang as Man Hunt. Peter O'Toole stars. Closer to the book than the 1941 film.

Last edited:

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
Holiday Affair (1949) and The Bishop's Wife (1947) - We rarely have time to watch two movies on a weeknight, but the winter storm led to cancellations here. With some unexpected free time and no compelling reason to leave the house, we watched these two films recorded from TCM. Holiday Affair is a favorite of mine; I like the complicated relationships among the adults which feel very real. Janet Leigh, Wendell Corey, and Robert Mitchum are all excellent here. My wife preferred The Bishop's Wife where Cary Grant plays an angel who finds it easy to perform miracles but struggles with his growing attraction to Loretta Young's character, the wife of the bishop played by David Niven. Both are very enjoyable holiday films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Today four new goodies have arrived: Great Day In The Morning, The Bad And The Beautiful, Green For Danger and Phantom Lady. I'll probably watch two tonight and two tomorrow.
Let me know what you think of "Green For Danger"? I'm talking about the video presentation as I thought it was mediocre at best.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Summer and Smoke (Olive BD) 1961. Geraldine Page and Una Merkel give affecting (and Oscar-nominated performances) in this fine adaptation of Tennessee Williams's stage play. Laurence Harvey sports the same hair cut that he used in all his movies.
I just came back from a screening of:
Knives Out (DCP) 2019. Enjoyable romp. Flawless projection.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I forgot how long it's been since I was posting here regularly. I did the October Challenge, which I didn't double post here, then I embarked on a journey to watch all 11 Nicholas Sparks movies, in order of release, and I didn't want to hear about my decision to do that, so I kept my impressions to myself. BTW, I think they, at least the stories, are a lot better than they get credit for. Yeah, I said it and I'm not taking it back. After it was implied that I'm more into electronic equipment than movies, I've been contemplating doing capsule reviews again here.

I've actually taken a bit of a break from movies, after kind of overloading for a few months.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I forgot how long it's been since I was posting here regularly. I did the October Challenge, which I didn't double post here, then I embarked on a journey to watch all 11 Nicholas Sparks movies, in order of release, and I didn't want to hear about my decision to do that, so I kept my impressions to myself. BTW, I think they, at least the stories, are a lot better than they get credit for. Yeah, I said it and I'm not taking it back. After it was implied that I'm more into electronic equipment than movies, I've been contemplating doing capsule reviews again here.

I've actually taken a bit of a break from movies, after kind of overloading for a few months.
Give me a break John! No such implication was made about you not being into movies. I did state you're an audiophile and I am not one. Furthermore, audiophiles are known to love movies too as we have plenty of them here on this forum that posts their views about all kinds of movies. That's it!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Couldn't agree more! But her waist is one of the absolute great marvels of the modern world.

Cinema5200002.png

Huge fan of Vera Ellen (her films with Astaire are still missing on blu ray) and White Christmas is my wife's and my favourite Christmas film. We will be watching it with friends on 23 December this year.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I placed an order at the 4 for $44 WA sale, but they haven't come yet. If they don't arrive today, I'll dig around and find something else in my stack of unwatched discs to watch today.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Let me know what you think of "Green For Danger"? I'm talking about the video presentation as I thought it was mediocre at best.
I watched this yesterday and I think your phrase "mediocre at best" is exactly right. At it's best this transfer is mediocre. For much of the time it's a lot less than that. The images are like low grade standard definition and, particularly at the beginning, there are innumerable scratches, marks etc. I don't understand how, once the scan has been done and further work will be in the digital domain, no attempt was made to reduce the damage with digital tools.

I also watched Arrow's Blu-ray disc of Phantom Lady and while this has a superb transfer with sharp focus and an excellent range of greys and black, there are tramlines running down the image in a couple of places. Why were they not removed?

Today I'll be watching Criterion's disc of Detour and the French Blu-ray of Messalina.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Girl in Black Stockings (Kino BD) 1957. Anne Bancroft before her voice dropped a few notes on the scale. A rather good whodunnit, very well photographed in a noir style.
The Bells of St. Mary's (Olive Signature BD) 1945. I hadn't seen this film since a 35mm screening in my home town theater during my childhood in the '50s. I never forgot "Dial O for O'Malley," which meant nothing to me, since we didn't have rotary phones; and I didn't forget the most radiant nun ever: Ingrid Bergman. By the end of the decade I had been introduced to the 3 most beautiful nuns ever to grace the screen: Bergman, Kerr (Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison), and Hepburn (The Nun's Story). I hadn't yet seen Black Narcissus and I don't like Loretta Young (Come to the Stable). I prefer Celeste Holm in that movie. Anyway, coming back to St. Mary's, the movie is deftly directed by McCarey, and the transfer is very good.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Inside Man (2006 Blu-Ray) I don't upgrade every DVD I own, but when I found this one for $4.99 I couldn't resist. I consider it an above average thriller, with a strong cast and solid work by director Spike Lee. This is not edgy like a lot of Spike Lee work but there are good twists and turns that blur the lines between the good guys and bad guys. The Blu-Ray looks fine, but this is not a movie that really shows it off with a lot of dark scenes and outdoor shots that don't have great detail.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Braveheart (1995): I haven't seen this in longer than I can remember, and only on DVD, and probably on my old RPTV. This is the 4K disc, which is freaking stunning looking, even on my old 1080 plasma. And the Atmos soundtrack impresses from the first seconds. The movie is what it is. Big, dramatic, beautiful to look at, and a little bit too sappy for my tastes, at times. A ready-made Best Picture winner if there ever was one. It did encourage me to learn more about William Wallace back when it was released. The movie is a mix is surprisingly accurate and almost absurdly fabricated. For instance, there's a very good chance that Edward III wasn't Edward II's biological son, but there is no way in Hell he was Wallace's son, as was implied in the movie. Edward II is probably the most accurate depiction in the entire film. He was a complete toad. He also suffered a death so horrific, it makes Wallace's look like a walk in the park. Of course, the movie doesn't go into details of the real Wallace, such as how he flayed a tax collector, then wore strips of his skin as a belt. For a three hour movie, it passes relatively quickly. I both like and don't like this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks