1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's on your Daily Viewing List?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, May 11, 2013.

1. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    John Wick (2014)
    John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017)

- Squish - Rinse - Repeat -

...and repeat, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat...

OK, the world of these movies is kind of fun. The story makes me want to watch Payback. A little monotonous.

Dave Moritz likes this.
  2. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles (Shout BD) 2018. Extraordinary Spanish animated feature about the genesis of the director's third feature film: Las Hurdes, or Land without Bread. Includes a feature-length documentary: Bunuel's Prisoners.
    Murders in the Rue Morgue (Scream BD) 1932. Quite good encoding of the Universal classic starring Lugosi.
    The Cotton Club Encore How do I describe this one? I bought the Lionsgate BD, redeemed the digital code via iTunes and watched the 4K stream. It looked fabulous. I enjoyed it very much. The musical numbers are great. I have a few quibbles about the recreation of the era, but it's still very much on target.
    To the Devil...a Daughter (Scream BD) 1972. Quite good, except for the lame ending. Beautiful transfer.
    I do like to mix them up, don't I?

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG]

4. JohnRice

John
    This'll be FUN!

11081-1.

Jeff Flugel and Dave Moritz like this.
  5. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    The Landlord (Kino BD) 1970. Gordon Willis shot it; Bill Gunn wrote it; Norman Jewison produced it; Hal Ashby directed it (his first film); Lee Grant received an AA nomination as Best Supporting Actress; Pearl Bailey is glorious; Beau Bridges is earnest; Diana Sands is wonderful; this is a great film that I did not appreciate when I saw it in 1970. I lived in a different country, with a different set of values. I moved to the USA the following year. I've learned a lot since then.
    White Vertigo: Cortina d'Ampezzo 1956 Winter Olympic Games (Criterion BD) I decided to revisit this BD because I gave it short shrift the first time around. This disc is absolutely stunning! The color cinematography and the narration are poetic. There's a shot of Sophia Loren and another of Raf Vallone. The editing is breathtaking. I must have been dozing the first time around. This is a masterful documentary.
    Zatoichi in Desperation (Criterion BD) 1972. Penultimate entry in the series. Wildly experimental in imagery and editing, sometimes resembling something out of A Page of Madness, and New Wave techniques. The color is wild and sometimes filtered. Blood, violence, semen, snot. And the story is bleak, bleak, bleak. It ends on a note of total despair.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  6. JohnRice

John
    Dredd (2012): Snarky and gloriously buckets-of-bloody, Dredd is a seriously under-rated graphic novel adaptation. I guess it was doomed from the start. It's a retry of an awful first attempt that starred Sylvester Stallone, and it had all sorts of production problems, with the credited director being booted from the project and the screenwriter essentially directing the film. The upside is, that screenwriter was the eminently talented Alex Garland, who also wrote Never Let Me Go(!) and wrote and directed Ex-Machina and Annihilation. Dredd stars Karl Urban as the title character, Olivia Thirlby as his judge trainee Anderson, and Lena Headey as Madeline Madrigal, aka: "Ma-Ma", a gang leader who makes her Cersei Lannister look like Mother Theresa. I don't know why Thirlby isn't a bigger star. She's very good here, and she's played a lot of roles, but nothing else I've seen. This is how you do bloody, over-the-top action. It was a welcome antidote to a couple recent flicks. Sorry, but that's just how I feel.

Jeff Flugel, bujaki and Matt Hough like this.
  7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Dredd is very fun to watch in 3D, too. I rewatch it once or twice a year in that format.

Jeff Flugel and bujaki like this.
  8. JohnRice

John
    No 3D capability for me, but they clearly took an aggressive approach to the idea.

9. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Too bad. I agree with Matt: it's very good in 3D. Still good in 2D.

10. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    The Mandalorian: Episode 6 (Disney+) Baby Yoda rules!
    Case for a Rookie Hangman (Amazon Prime HD) 1970. Only film by Czech director Pavel Juracek. Banned from exhibition in his country and from making subsequent films. Surreal and dreamlike, beautifully shot in B&W. Satirical jabs at the bureaucracy of silence surrounding the current government ca. 1969.
    Intolerance (Cohen BD) 1916. Last seen at MoMA in their big screen where this movie should be seen to appreciate its grandeur. And yet, even in a 65" screen, its magnificence comes through. This film is the greatest achievement in motion pictures until Gance's Napoleon. There is NOTHING quite like it. Its only problem is that it doesn't face the problem of the intolerance of racism; and that the world will be wonderful when it is Christian and White. Some of the acting is powerful (Robert Harron and Miriam Cooper), and Mae Marsh when she's not overdoing the coyness. The film's running time flies quickly and the editing and cinematography is simply astounding. This is a movie that any movie lover must see...or else.
    So what after one of the greatest movie ever made
    Man-made Monster (Shout/Scream BD) 1941. Quite good Universal Sci-fi with an affecting performance from Lon Chaney, Jr., and a mad doctor one from Lionel Atwill. Very nice lighting and a short running time makes this a very effective little movie. Good looking transfer.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  11. JohnRice

John
    I have active enough of an imagination that I can mentally visualize the 3D scenes in 3D.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    On Blu-ray from Shout, with terrific video and audio presentations of one of the best film noir's ever made. A personal favorite of mine since seeing it for the first time with my old man about 50 years.

[​IMG]

Montytc likes this.
  13. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I watched Out of The Blue yesterday, an amusing comedy but not laugh-out-loud funny. It needs a few surprise one-liners. The cast all play well including the male leads whom I normally have little time for. Virginia Mayo is top billed but Ann Dvorak has most screen time. The picture and sound quality of ClassicFlix's new disc is pretty good.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

A Christmas double feature yesterday as Peg and I engaged in a wrap-a-thon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeff Flugel and Dave Moritz like this.
  15. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    A night of silents for me, all re-acquaintances of films viewed many, many decades ago in 35mm prints:
    The Fall of Babylon (Cohen BD) 1919. Griffith's re-edit from the Babylon segment of Intolerance. Different shots and ending. Not quite as spectacular as when viewed in the context of Intolerance. The print is somewhat ragged.
    The Mother and the Law (Cohen BD) 1919. Griffith's re-edit of the Modern Story from Intolerance. Fleshes out the story and gives some of the actors more opportunity to shine. It's a powerful indictment of "false" charities and capitalism against labor. The print is somewhat ragged as well.
    Battling Butler and Seven Chances (Cohen BD) 1926 and 1925, respectively. Both directed by Buster Keaton, both comic jewels. The man was an absolutely incredible athlete. Gorgeous prints. Stories marred by then acceptable racial humor.
    The Freshman (Criterion BD) 1925. Harold Lloyd goes to college, where no one studies and all males play football. What an enjoyable romp! Beautiful transfer.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  16. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I haven't gotten the Kino Blu-ray of The Queen of Spades yet, but tonight I pulled out my DVD of this well-known British thriller and watched it again, the first time in many, many years. The quality is good for a DVD, but I'll bet the Blu-ray looks super.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Peg and I took a flyer on this film tonight. It had some nice moments...but had way too much stupid animated action for our tastes. In other words, we felt too many unnecessary perilous chase scenes and (literal) cliff-hangers overwhelmed the beautiful story that was otherwise being told. It's too bad, because it really could have been a classic fairy tale of the donkey who went on to carry Mary to the manger...but they went for garbage instead.

[​IMG]

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  18. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    The Last Hangover (2018) and The First Temptation of Christ (2019). Netflix HD. Stay clear of these Brazilian shorts about 45 minutes long if you're sensitive about religious subjects. I found them raucously funny. YMMV.
    Diamantino (Criterion Channel) 2018. From Portugal. Difficult to categorize, but fascinating film making. Disgraced super soccer star embarks on an odyssey that has him embrace neo-nazism (leave the EU, build a wall around Portugal, make Portugal great again, genetic modification and cloning, fluffy puppies...don't ask). It all coalesces but you've got to experience it to believe it. Kino sells the BD.
    Lady on a Train (TCM app) 1945. It's been a very long time since I'd seen this Deanna Durbin vehicle, so why not? Always good to see Deanna. The print is quite good.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  19. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Lady on a Train is a fun mystery. It was made in that period when Universal was trying to adjust her image a bit and make her more than just a goody two-shoes (at her request).

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  20. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    The Circus (Criterion BD) 1928. A true classic. Chaplin's charmer and his one AA nominated performance. A stellar release.
    Tower of London (Scream BD) 1939. Not a horror movie, but an interesting take on a murder-laden period in English history. Good star power.
    Horror Island (Scream BD) Not a horror movie either, but well-lit by DP Elwood Bredell (lots of atmospheric shadows).
    The Black Cat (Scream BD) Murder most foul in a mansion full of secret passageways and a crematorium. Very good cast. The film's DP was an unknown named Stanley Cortez. He receded into history with no other credits.;)

Jeff Flugel and TravisR like this.