What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (7 Viewers)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
December 4th, 2019 Wednesday

1200px-Star_Wars_Logo.svg.png

The Mandalorian (Chapter 4)
4K Digital / Dolby Vision
5.1 Dolby
DIsney+

Mandalorian.jpg

Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones
7.1.4 Dolby Atmos
DIsney+

MV5BMDAzM2M0Y2UtZjRmZi00MzVlLTg4MjEtOTE3NzU5ZDVlMTU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUyOTg3Njg@._V1_.jpg

Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith
7.1.4 Dolby Atmos
DIsney+

Revenge Of The Sith.jpg

Next movie in the Star Wars saga will be Rouge One followed by Star Wars IV. Getting ready for the new Star Wars coming soon!

Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker in theaters December 20th with limited engagements December 19th!

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had every intention of watching Kino's Foxfire tonight. I had it selected from the stack of unwatched Blu-rays, but then I stupidly perused the TCM app and saw the 1948 Sitting Pretty on there. I hadn't watched my Blu-ray of it in awhile, so I watched it from the app and had such a good time with it.

Foxfire tomorrow.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Just came back from a screening of The Met Live in HD of Akhnaten, an opera by Philip Glass. Yes, it's about that pharaoh who is featured in the film The Egyptian. Nefertiti shows up as well.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Anna: aka The Nikita Legacy (2019): I swear I've seen this movie before. I enjoy espionage movies, and I enjoy Waif-Fu movies. Joss Whedon might get credit for making the latter genre popular, but Luc Besson pretty much invented it 29 years ago. And I just watched that movie again. I mean this movie is just a small variation on La Femme Nikita, and Besson clearly has a type, since it stars the lost identical twin of his later Waif-Fu star (and future/ex wife), Milla Jovovich. This movie was deja vu all over the place. Right down to the test mission. OK, there are worse movies to revisit, and this was a decent effort. I just wish it had something over the original, but I fail to think of a single one. The twists and time jumping were alternately annoying and intriguing, but ended up growing a bit old. Nikita is just a better movie, even if it didn't have the sheen and budget of this one.

The Bourne Identity (2002): For me, this might be the pinnacle of espionage movies, though I'd say Tom Tykwer's The International also ranks up there. This introduction to Jason Bourne is exceptionally well done, and I actually prefer Doug Liman's more straightforward direction to the frenetic, shaky-cam of the later Paul Greengrass installments. I bought the 4K set during Black Friday sales, before reading the bad reviews about the transfer, and yeah, I don't know what Universal did, but the 4K disc is absolutely awful. It's dark and drab. I mean, it's like someone forgot to turn the lights on. I watched about five minutes, took it out of the player, and watched the BR. Oh well.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
The Shop Around the Corner (1940) - Another old favorite recorded from TCM. This is a charming, tightly focused romantic comedy directed by Ernst Lubitsch. James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan star and have some terrific banter together. It's a Christmas movie in that it's set in the weeks leading up to the holiday, but Christmas is not a major theme of the film. Almost all the action takes place inside or in front of the leather goods shop where the characters work, and there's little reference to the world outside the shop other than a few comments about people being out of work. It's very much a feel-good movie which I certainly need from time to time.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I really love The Shop Around the Corner, and I admire that the filmmakers didn't shy away from the suicide angle that figures importantly in the story (neither did the people responsible for its theatrical musical adaptation She Loves Me though MGM's musical remake In the Good Old Summertime completely omitted it for a different subplot).

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Tonight...Peg, mother-in-law and I all enjoyed Remember the Night. This film has become an annual Christmas tradition for us ever since TCM released it on Blu-ray five years ago.

remember-the-night-poster.jpg

Watched this film for the first time last year and liked it (Fred MacMurray especially is on good form), though perhaps not enough to make it an annual tradition. White Christmas, on the other hand, has become an annual tradition and I'll be watching that one shortly. If possible, and work schedule permitting, I'll try and fit in It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story and Holiday Affair, too, along with some classic TV Christmas episodes.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
After an opera about a pharaoh, what can one watch?
Now, Voyager (Criterion BD) 1942. A spectacular transfer. Period. A film that I first saw as a child on TV, and last saw, probably at MoMA some 40+ years ago. I had forgotten some particulars, so I was glad to revisit it. It's one great melodrama with a beautiful Steiner score and gorgeously shot by the unsung Sol Polito. Just get it. And after Gladys Cooper's monstrous turn, one watches Peter Cushing in:
The Revenge of Frankenstein (Powerhouse Indicator BD) 1958. Another spectacular transfer that took me back to when I saw this in 1958. I remember the opening and closing so well. Good twists along the way.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Finally getting a chance to watch some movies so we're getting into the holiday spirit.
A Christmas Carol 1951 - my favorite version and we watch it and at least one other version every year.
MV5BZTM0MWMyYzgtMTJiMS00MjNiLWJhN2EtOGRiYmRkMGEwMzkwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk0MDg4NDk@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

The Santa Clause - This has become a must see for my wife along with Miracle on 34th Street 1947 which we will watch closer to Christmas
268x0w.jpg

Holiday Inn the Musical - First time for this - it was nice but not as Christmasie as the movie.
GP_Holiday_Inn_2_t800.jpg

A Christmas Carol Gone Wrong
- this has now become a yearly tradition.
christmas-carol-main-f9e2aa8.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Us (Universal 4K UHD) 2019. Beautiful transfer. Lupita is amazing. Didn't buy the concept.
The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (Powerhouse Indicator BD) 1960. Wolf Mankowitz's interesting take on the Stevenson tale. Lurid and no doubt censored for USA release. Terence Fisher directed and Jack Asher lensed it. Great transfer.
The Vanishing Prairie (Disney+) 1954. HD transfer looks spectacular. Multiple award winner including Oscar.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Wuthering Heights (TCM) 1958. Du Pont Show of the Month kinescope. Starring Richard Burton as Heathcliff and Rosemary Harris as Cathy Earnshaw showing the pallid Merle Oberon how Cathy should be played.
This Gun for Hire (Shout BD) 1942. No wonder Alan Ladd became a major star after this film! He pocketed it. Great transfer of a classic film.
Guns, Girls and Gangsters (Kino BD) 1958. Mamie Van Doren and a passel of ugly men involved in a heist. At least you could look at her. Not bad for a B movie.
The Tiger of Eschnapur (Film Movement BD) 1959. Part One of Fritz Lang's Indian Epic. Gorgeous transfer (is it in the correct AR?) as I saw it as a child, in two parts, and with Debra Paget performing a dance that is definitely not for children. Pulp fiction at its best.
The Living Desert (Disney+ HD) 1953. Winner of the 1953 Documentary Oscar.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched Kino Lorber's Blu-ray disc of Diabolically Yours. A pretty good transfer but nothing special. The film is enjoyable although I think more could have been done with the basic premise which has of course been the foundation of several films. (A man wakes up, finds he has lost his memory and is told he is someone who is nothing like himself) Diabolically Yours is heavily dependant on the physical attractiveness of it two stars, Alain Delon and Senta Berger.

Not sure what I'll be watching tomorrow. I have Now, Voyager and Out Of The Blue on their way.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watch the "3 Godfathers" every Christmas Eve or Christmas Day for the last 25 years or so. It's one of my favorite films of all-time. It became a favorite of mine when I first watched it as a kid on "The Late, Late Show" on Channel 2 (NYC CBS affiliate) back in the late 60's. Talk about a movie that I would pay a hefty price to finally have on Blu-ray. Anyhow, I, at least have it on HD Digital and DVD.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
Christmas in Connecticut (1945) - This screwball comedy is another of our holiday movie favorites. Barbara Stanwyck is great as a writer pretending to be a sort of early Martha Stewart when she is anything but. Dennis Morgan is fine as her co-star. The terrific supporting cast -- Una O'Connor, Sydney Greenstreet, and S.Z. Skall -- add a lot to this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks