1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's on your Daily Viewing List?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, May 11, 2013.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Going to go see Avatar 3D on September 24th

Toronto Argonauts likes this.
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    On Blu-ray in 3-D. The movie wasn't good, but the 3-D was pretty damn good.

[​IMG]

dana martin and Jeff Flugel like this.
  3. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    BTW, I think All I See Is You (2017) is probably a better movie than I gave it credit for. I let the overwhelmingly negative reaction to it influence me, plus I realize I didn't catch on to some of the subtleties in the story while I was watching it. I wasn't paying close enough attention. The visuals are unusual, and often beautifully done. It does seem like a passion project for Forster, and I suspect it loses most viewers along the way. It's an interesting character study, and an interesting look at co-dependence and insecurity.

4. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Two Heads on a Pillow (TCM app) 1934. Restored by the Library of Congress. In obscure film once-married attorneys face off during a heated divorce case. Reminiscent of Adam's Rib. Fairly amusing with a game Neil Hamilton and a better-than-usual Hardie Albright. Lots of silent film veterans in this one. The original elements must have been in very rough shape.
    Zatoichi's Cane Sword (Criterion BD) 1967. Fairly convoluted story with very villainous bosses and a sword that's about to break. A new sword must be forged, but will Zatoichi have it in his hand before the final fight? A surprise twist awaits.
    Valley of the Dolls (Criterion BD) 1967. Why not? First watched in 1967, and not since. Highly entertaining camp. Some beautiful women and some good acting is buried in here. Excellent transfer.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I agree completely. There are things about the film that are indeed praiseworthy. It's a shame they cut corners and didn't film more of the book (which covered a twenty-year time span). I don't find it painful to sit through ever.

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Might go see the new Rambo movie tomorrow if I have an early day at work?

rambo_v_ver5.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG]

8. Message #6108 of 6335 Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    I rather enjoyed this one, though I agree it's no classic. I thought it was a competent 50s adventure pic, but then, I'm partial to this type of underwater treasure-hunting story. As you say, some impressive 3D effects, and of course, Joanne Dru. The only sour note for me was the patently fake and/or dead shark floating around during the undersea sequences. That was pretty bad.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    On Blu-ray, one of the greatest movies ever made:

[​IMG]

Matt Hough likes this.
  10. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    [​IMG]
    We had never seen this before. Barely OK 1950's comedy. Interesting but no re-watch for me.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  11. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    You said it!

12. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Last night I watched Ada which stars Dean Martin and Susan Hayward with Wilfred Hyde-White heading the supporting cast. I'd like the film to be a bit longer with more time allocated to explaining some sub-plots. The Warner Archive DVD-R is not very good. I'd love a Blu-ray of this film!

The German Blu-ray disc of Waterloo arrived today so I'll be watching that tonight.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  13. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I've been on the fence about Waterloo. Please let me know. I have a DVD of it which I haven't watched, but I'm willing to double dip for a quality release.

14. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Olympia Parts 1 and 2 (Criterion BD) 1938. The 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin. Astonishing film with eye-popping sequences. The cinematography and editing are the best so far. Where Riefenstahl placed her cameras; how she lit the scenes; how she re-staged some sequences; all make for dynamic movie making. Some of it is definitely inspired by Lang's Die Nibelungen. Albert Speer designed the finale. Hitler smiles a lot. The non-Nazi Germans give the Fascist salute throughout. The swastikas abound. But...Leni knows that Jesse Owens was a great athlete and lavishes him with many loving close-ups, even though his blackness made him anathema to the Nazis. And the Athlete of Athletes, the winner of the Decathlon, was a Yank, Glenn Morris, with whom Leni had an affair (she had good taste); and the second place went to another Yank.
    The second part begins with a group of very handsome young men who cavort in the nude, go skinny dipping, rub themselves very lovingly in a sauna and display full frontal nudity. Leni really loved her men, although this sequence is strangely homoerotic.
    Grab this disc when Criterion makes it available separately from the complete set. I'm not a sports fan but this is great film making.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  15. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Get off that fence and buy the disc. It's good and it's Zone free. Possibly an expert with a highly professional eye - i.e. Robert Harris - might find the disc a shade short of an original first-run print, but normal film enthusiasts will be pleased. One very slight reservation for those whose hearing is not as good as it once was: the soundtrack has a wide dynamic range and perhaps more people than usual will need the subtitles.

16. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Thanks. Will do.

17. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    A great western double bill tonight. The Last Of The Mohicans, directors cut Blu-ray. I've posted a while back that it's too dark, well I'll admit that's a load of old cobblers, I looked at the Blu-ray on my TV & it looks great. Followed by Little Big Man. What a great western (I saw it at the cinema), the Blu-ray looks pretty good, but both films deserve the UHD treatment.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  18. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    September 21st, 2019 Saturday

Lion King (1994)
    1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K
    DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 to Auro 2D 7.1

IMG_0347aa.

Was planning on the 4K UHD Blu-ray but after tonights viewing of the 1080p blu-ray I am not sure how much better the 4K disc will look. I may buy the 4K disc eventually just to collect it but the standard blu-ray looked very good on the Sony OLED tonight. Was to tired after work and did not make it to see Rambo: Last Blood today.

Toronto Argonauts likes this.
  19. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I've been thinking about the TV series Glee, and decided to watch a handful of selected episodes today. 2.3 Grilled Cheesus, 3.7 I Kissed a Girl, 3.21 Nationals, the second half of 3.22 Goodbye, 4.1 The New Rachel, 4.4 The Break Up, and 5.3 The Quarterback. That show had some particularly good moments and episodes, plus it's just interesting to watch. The Quarterback is an especially memorable episode, and probably the most powerfully dramatic answer I've ever seen to the death of a series cast member. I don't think there was a lot of acting in it. Emotions were extremely raw and genuine, and the line between drama and reality was rather vague at times. In particular, Sue Sylvester (Jane Lynch) had a scene where she kind of broke from character for about a minute. Maybe she briefly let her guard and insecurity down. In any case, it was one of the greatest moments in the entire series.

20. Toronto Argonauts

Toronto Argonauts Stunt Coordinator

Mississauga, Ontario Just West of Toronto
    David Thompson
    [​IMG]

Dave Moritz likes this.