What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
September 17th, 2019 Tuesday

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them
4K DCP - Apple TV
Dolby Atmos / Dolby Vision

fantastic_beasts_and_where_to_find_them_ver16a-jpg.63191

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Shadow on the Window (Mill Creek BD) 1956. Good police procedural with very good PQ.
For a Few Dollars More (Kino BD) 1965. Had I ever see this film before? I wonder. Enjoyed it very much. Excellent transfer.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
After watching the estimable Jan Sterling in Ace In The Hole, I watched another of her films yesterday, Flesh And Fury, where she was partnered by a young Tony Curtis. They were both really good in this movie with a boxing background.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Fathom Event) Flawless presentation. First viewing on a big screen. Obvious flaws baked into the film but otherwise fine; and the score soared in those potent speakers.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All I See Is You (2017): I decided to give this a try on Prime, despite the bad reviews. Marc Forster is an interesting director. He's done powerful movies like Monster's Ball, just plain enjoyable ones like Finding Neverland. Kind of baffling ones like Quantum of Solace. Then he has ones that seem like a personal passion, like Stay and All I See Is You. Those last two are similar because they both seem to have a theme that's important to Forster. While neither is what anyone is likely to call a "good" movie, they both have an interesting, if convoluted moral to them. Blake Lively stars as a woman who was blinded in her childhood, but has now undergone a revolutionary surgery to mostly restore her vision. This calls into question the real purpose of the relationship between her and her husband, played by Jason Clarke. Interesting food for thought, but definitely a less than successful movie.

Once Upon A Time In America (1984): It's probably the first time I've watched this in 10 years, and I'm reminded why it's been a favorite for 35 years now. I have to tip my hat to a four hour movie that passes this quickly.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I first saw Once upon a Time in America the first time it played uncut at the New York Film Festival. I knew the running time but did not know whether they would have an intermission (did not); it was an evening show; I was tired and sleepy after a work day...I was never so alert and awake during a movie, and no way was I going to miss a frame of it for a bathroom break.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I first saw Once upon a Time in America the first time it played uncut at the New York Film Festival. I knew the running time but did not know whether they would have an intermission (did not); it was an evening show; I was tired and sleepy after a work day...I was never so alert and awake during a movie, and no way was I going to miss a frame of it for a bathroom break.
Something that really struck me this time around was the mournful poem Debra wrote for Noodles as children. At 55, "what a shame" really hit me hard.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Prescient child. Lovely actress, wasn't she? And then there's that unforgettable score...
Wonderful score, though the Beatles song "Yesterday" has always bothered me. Still, maybe Morricone's third best score behind Cinema Paradiso and Once Upon A Time In the West.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
September 18th, 2019 Wednesday

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters
4K UHD Blu-ray / Dolby Vision
7.1.4 Dolby Atmos

71mjv2lg4vL._SL1500_.jpg

After more tweaking of the audio levels fine tuning the system I had my 2nd viewing of Godzilla: King Of The Monsters on 4K UHD Blu-ray. I know alot of people knocked this movie but I feel it is a good movie and very entertaining. The 4K transfer has a nice film like appearance and very good color despite having alot of dark scenes. There are plenty of monster battle scenes and low frequency LFE in this movie. I personally find the Atmos mix to be lacking and also feel WB dropped the ball on this release. Audio in the lower front and surrounds is very good but in the height channels not much is there IMHO. This movie could have been a crown jewel in the Atmos releases but it doesn't even rate. I would call on WB to at some point redo the audio mix and fix the Atmos height channels.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Tall Men (TT BD) 1955. First time ever viewing of this Raoul Walsh western starring Gable, Ryan and Jane Russell. Lots of excellent location shooting. Good PQ and directional dialogue (listened to the 4.0 option).
Whirlpool (TT BD) 1950. Preminger's psychological thriller starring Tierney in a very good performance as a disturbed, wealthy socialite. Richard Conte is her cipher of a husband; Jose Ferrer is the smarmy "Doctor" Korvo. Good transfer.
It Was a Faint Dream (Arrow Academy BD) 1974. Jissoji's film about a 12th-century palace courtesan who eventually tires of sexual intrigues and desire, and joins a Buddhist convent. Shot in ravishing color, a delightful visual assault.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Slightly Scarlet yesterday. Allan Dwan and John Alton combined to make Rhonda Fleming look even more desirable than normal! I wish someone in possession of both the copyright and good elements would put this out on Blu-ray disc. I wonder who does own the rights. Does anyone here know?

Today I'm going to have another session with The High And The Mighty.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched Slightly Scarlet yesterday. Allan Dwan and John Alton combined to make Rhonda Fleming look even more desirable than normal! I wish someone in possession of both the copyright and good elements would put this out on Blu-ray disc. I wonder who does own the rights. Does anyone here know?

Today I'm going to have another session with The High And The Mighty.
Hmm, I might watch my HD digital on iTunes too this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks