What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (4 Viewers)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
upload_2019-9-22_1-0-32.png

spent the evening with some old friends in glorious 1080p, once again WB and the team that did the restorations knocked it out of the park with this one, an all around great set, And so closes out the 1940's for our one eyed friend, his lady fair (who has to be the most fickle girlfriend in the history of animation) and well who ever is standing in as the bad guy in each animated short. These have been a complete and total joy to watch, Vibrant colors, from the many different formats that Paramount chose along the way, I look forward to the hopeful eventual announcement and release of Popeye the Sailor: The 1950's Volume 1. If you are a fan of classic hand drawn animation , and haven't picked these up, you are missing out. :D

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Lazybones (Fox DVD) 1925. Borzage's gentle tale of love, prejudice, broken lives, WWI, and peaceful, quiet resolution. Borzage sets up many scenes with humorous visual puns and uses the camera with a mature style not yet influenced by Murnau's arrival on the Fox set. His handling of actors is sensitive and they provide him with realistic performances. Buck Jones is quite affecting as the title character. This transfer uses the best elements available, and is somewhat ragged.
A Simple Story (Une histoire simple) (Pathe BD Zone Free) 1978. Radiant Romy Schneider won a 1978 Cesar for her performance in this simple story, like all stories, of a woman's life: her ex-husband, her lover, her friends, her son, her pregnancies, her job. Sounds like any story. Richly layered and rewarding film, directed by Claude Sautet, nominated for an AA as Best Foreign Film 1979.
Zatoichi the Outlaw (Criterion BD) 1967. First film produced by Katsu, the star. A darker color palette; a darker, more nihilistic story; more violence and blood; and a song sung by Katsu himself over the soundtrack.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I didn't get to Noir Alley today. I hope it's on the DVR because I quickly glanced on the TCM app, and I didn't see it there. A very busy evening.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched the 1978 version of The Thirty-Nine Steps, with Robert Powell, John Mills, David Warner and Karen Dotrice. I like this version far more than the very famous Hitchcock film. The DVD is good but I'd love a really first class Blu-ray disc.

Tonight I might watch The Third Man which was on my mind when I woke up this morning. I do have a first class Blu-ray disc of this!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A new arrival in the mail today was "Ida Lupino Filmmaker Collection" from Kino on Blu-ray. Today's viewing was "The Hitch-Hiker" (1953). I've watched this film several times over the years and it never looked better than what I viewed today on Blu-ray. Wow! I highly recommend this 71 minute film noir/crime movie. By the way, it's appearing on TCM's Noir Alley on November 16th with Eddie Muller.

MV5BMDc2MjIyZTItNGQxOC00ZDkzLWI0OGUtYjUxYTZkMDg5Y2RlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUxODE0MDY@._V1_.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Downtown Abbey (DCP in XD) Why not? My wife and I enjoyed the TV series so we knew what we to expect. It is what it is, and we were not disappointed.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Downtown Abbey (DCP in XD) Why not? My wife and I enjoyed the TV series so we knew what we to expect. It is what it is, and we were not disappointed.
I still haven't even watched the show, even though I've had it loaded up in iTunes for a few years now. I probably didn't mention that it was an interview with Elizabeth McGovern last week that prompted me to watch Once Upon a Time in America.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A new arrival in the mail today was "Ida Lupino Filmmaker Collection" from Kino on Blu-ray. Today's viewing was "The Hitch-Hiker" (1953). I've watched this film several times over the years and it never looked better than what I viewed today on Blu-ray. Wow! I highly recommend this 71 minute film noir/crime movie. By the way, it's appearing on TCM's Noir Alley on November 16th with Eddie Muller.

MV5BMDc2MjIyZTItNGQxOC00ZDkzLWI0OGUtYjUxYTZkMDg5Y2RlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUxODE0MDY@._V1_.jpg
One more thing, this presentation isn't pristine without any scratches. I do take issue about it being a properly done 2K restoration. It's an improvement, but I have to compare this BD to the 2013 BD for how much of an improvement.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Now that the new network television has started, my time for watching movies is cut a bit. I have a couple of shows from last night that I'll be watching this afternoon, and then we'll see what kind of time I have left before I start in on tonight's shows.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Now that the new network television has started, my time for watching movies is cut a bit. I have a couple of shows from last night that I'll be watching this afternoon, and then we'll see what kind of time I have left before I start in on tonight's shows.
I have the same problem, but it's because of the Met Opera season that began yesterday. I listen to the live broadcasts via Sirius/XM and it takes a huge chunk of my day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ertugrul
    Recent bookmarks