What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (5 Viewers)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Will be watching “This Island Earth” Blu ray which arrived today. I thought it wasn’t even available until the 9th. Why do people subscribe to “Prime” again?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Tattooed Stranger (TCM app) OK police procedural. Why did Eddie consider it a noir? Anyway, Kinsella, in his only movie, had the best lines.
Tell Me Tonight (Kino BD) Another film scripted by H-G. Clouzot. What a pleasant surprise! It starred Jan Kiepura, a famous Polish tenor, singing popular songs written for the film, as well as O Sole Mio, and arias from operas. And he turned out to be an engaging presence on the screen. I'd listened to his 78 rpm recordings but had never seen him in action, so this was a treat.
And then, his leading lady was none other than Magda Schneider, lovely and ebullient, and flashing her beautiful smile; Magda, a few years before she gave birth to the goddess named Romy.
For a final surprise, the film was ably and wittily directed by none other than Anatole Litvak in 1932. I think the earliest film of his that I remember seeing is the 1936 Mayerling.
Today I've seen:
Spider-Man: Far from Home (3D XD Dolby Atmos DCP) An enjoyable outing though I must confess that so many battles fatigue me.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
John Sparks brought over his BD of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea this afternoon. Soda pop and hot popcorn.
Thanks for sharing Sparky!!

220px-20000leaguesposter.jpg

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
It was a fun time, especially watching that 35mm print of coming attractions in SDDS...sound like you've never heard before!!!

Those purple tomatoes were awesome in my salad...thanks David.

I'll stop by with THE PRESTIGE, THE ILLUSIONIST and WATCHMEN in a few days.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
This Island Earth (Scream BD) 1.85, Perspecta Sound! Finally, the way it should be seen! The colors just pop the way I remember when I used to see this on the big screen when I was a child. It's a fabulous presentation.
Mothra (Mill Creek BD) Japanese version. Again, the way I remember from watching this on the big screen when I was a child. Too bad it's not presented with the original Perspecta Sound. It's still a very good transfer, worth your pennies.
The Pay-Off (Kino BD) Creaky gangster story of honor among thieves. From 1930. Oh how we needed Wellman and The Public Enemy!
Dream Castle (Kino BD) The last of the H-G. Clouzot films in the set scripted, but not directed, by the famous director. This one is from 1933 and is most notable for the very early appearance of Danielle Darrieux, a pretty young woman who blossomed into a great actress and beauty some 20 years later. The film is a pleasant trifle of mistaken identity.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Tonight I watched The Women on Blu-ray from beginning to end. Sometimes when I have watched this film recently, I skip either the fashion show or the extended sequence where the servants talk about the big fight between Mary and Steven, but tonight I watched the whole show, and when it was over, I couldn't believe I had been sitting for 2 1/2 hours. It seemed like 90 minutes this time around. What a beautiful job of direction by George Cukor.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Endeavour: The Complete Sixth Season (PBS BD) Binged on all 4 episodes. I wait for the BD set because PBS cuts the broadcasts. I enjoyed the season and eagerly await the next one.
Kept Husbands (Kino BD) 1931 melodrama directed by LLoyd Bacon. Starring the wonderful Dorothy Mackail and Joel McCrea.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
July 11th, 2019 Thursday

A Day Of Movies!

Soylent Green (1973)
1080p HD upconverted to 4K
Stereo

View attachment 60474

Airplane
1080p HD upconverted to 4K
Dolby 5.1 upscaled to Auro 2D 7.1

View attachment 60475

Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade
1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio upscaled to 7.1 Auro 2D

View attachment 60476

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have last night's Elementary to watch, and I also recorded Tab Hunter Confidential off TCM last night. I streamed the movie from either Prime or Netflix (can't remember which one had it), but I'll happily watch it again and am interested in the comments before and after the film by Eddie Muller and Tab's surviving partner.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I inadvertently bookended my film viewing with 2 films from different countries, eras and sensibilities; and yet, they were alike in theme and temperament:
The Marriage of Maria Braun (Criterion BD) Directed by Fassbinder and starring his muse (and mine!), Hanna Schygulla. Shot in West Germany, 1979. Beautiful transfer.
Millie (Kino BD) Shot in the USA, 1931. Starring Helen Twelvetrees (I could never see how she could ever be popular, given her limited range as an actress), in one of her better outings. She's ably seconded by the wonderful Lilyan Tashman and an about-to-blossom Joan Blondell as two "girls" on the make. The lovely Anita Louise plays Helen's daughter.
What struck me about both films is that both female characters lived their lives in men's worlds but had a moral code to which they stuck fiercely. This covered their personal, business and sexual lives. They lived like men, they made choices like men and they were respected by the world around them, quite unusual for the times.
The film, Millie, is so outrageously pre-Code, that there is no way it could have been reissued post 1934. There are too many hot buttons in it and it is quite adult in the way it treats its many themes.
The Silver Horde (Kino BD) A Rex Beach adventure set in Alaska featuring Joel McCrea. Not bad. Evelyn Brent is rather good (why did she vanish so soon?), but the big surprise is Blanche Sweet (Griffith's Judith of Bethulia) in a supporting role as a prostitute. She is excellent! Alas, she vanished too soon as well.
Police Story 2 (Criterion BD) Jackie Chan's follow up to his success. Enjoyable, but it went just a little bit too long imo.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Watched The Divorcee on the TCM app tonight. Warners has definitely done some work on it visually since it's the best, the clearest I've ever seen it look. The sound, though, is still pretty hissy and noisy, partly because sound recording was still pretty primitive when it was originally recorded and maybe this is just the best it can sound.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I recorded Gunman's Walk off TCM the other evening during Tab Hunter Night, and I'll watch that today. I've never seen it so it's going to be fun seeing Tab play something other than the boy next door.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I recorded Gunman's Walk off TCM the other evening during Tab Hunter Night, and I'll watch that today. I've never seen it so it's going to be fun seeing Tab play something other than the boy next door.
I wonder if this title is going to have a Region A Blu-ray release as it is now showing up on iTunes for a HD digital release on August 6th? I have the German Blu-ray which is All Regions.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I wonder if this title is going to have a Region A Blu-ray release as it is now showing up on iTunes for a HD digital release on August 6th? I have the German Blu-ray which is All Regions.
Because I had review titles come in this morning, I didn't get to Gunman's Walk today nor am I likely to get to it until Monday or Tuesday, but it'll hopefully keep on the DVR until I'm ready to view it (provided we don't have a horrendous electrical storm which fries my DVR again like a couple of months ago).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks