What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Because I had review titles come in this morning, I didn't get to Gunman's Walk today nor am I likely to get to it until Monday or Tuesday, but it'll hopefully keep on the DVR until I'm ready to view it (provided we don't have a horrendous electrical storm which fries my DVR again like a couple of months ago).
This is a very good film and Tab rises to the occasion.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Watched The Divorcee on the TCM app tonight. Warners has definitely done some work on it visually since it's the best, the clearest I've ever seen it look. The sound, though, is still pretty hissy and noisy, partly because sound recording was still pretty primitive when it was originally recorded and maybe this is just the best it can sound.
A very frank and racy film for its time marred only, imo, by its pat ending. I thought Shearer did a fine job. I saw a 35mm print at MoMA in 1974.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The sign of a madman. Last night and all the way to today:
The Riverside Murder (Amazon Prime) 1935. Film debut of Alastair Sim. So-so mystery that kept me mildly entertained.
Stand-In (Classic Flix BD) Revisited this entertaining film that I had last seen some 40 years ago. I love my gal Blondell.
Veronika Voss (Criterion BD) Fassbinder's second film in his BRD trilogy. Lustrous B&W cinematography. Voss is a Norma Desmond character in post-war Germany who falls into the clutches of a ring of medical drug pushers.
The Appaloosa (Kino BD) Very fine transfer of this Brando Western. Recommended.
And then:
Dark: Season One (Netflix 4K UHD stream) All 10 episodes (roughly a bit less than 10 hours) of an engrossing German series that involves, among other things, time travel but in a very serious manner. It is indeed a dark story.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm eager to see Veronika Voss again. I saw it at the movies and while it was beautifully filmed, it didn't engage me as The Marriage of Maria Braun had done. I believe it's going to be on TCM in the wee morning hours tomorrow, and I will record it.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Lola (Criterion BD) Fassbinder's third film in his BRD trilogy, and his take on The Blue Angel. Fascinating use of color and those mirrors of his all over the place.
And since the night before I had viewed a Fassbinder film followed by a Brando western, I decided to do the same, and so:
One-Eyed Jacks (Criterion BD) I had last seen this one in a beautiful 35mm print in 1972-73. This transfer took me back to that time. Wonderful film thankfully saved from PD hell.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
After I finish my reviewing duties for the day, I'll be watching Noir Alley that I didn't get to yesterday along with last night's Grantchester.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Twilight Time's Warlock Blu-ray disc yesterday. I know some people find fault with this disc but I liked it, and it's a huge upgrade from the very poor DVD. I've always enjoyed Tom Drake in Warlock, so different from his early days at MGM!

Tonight I'll watch Hold Back The Dawn as Arrow's Blu-ray disc has just arrived.

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yesterday I watched this Kino blu:

0fa273f6f8d6276bf8c71350a8168fd5.jpg

And later on I streamed VHS Massacre on Amazon Prime. I was hoping this documentary would be better than it was, as I enjoyed the subject matter of the decline of physical media. I feel the execution was off. A tighter editing job and a bit more flow would have definitely helped this documentary.

MV5BNDEwZjU4ZmYtNjk0Ny00ZjVjLWE4OGUtNWE5NzFhNDI0MjgyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU2NTIyOTE@._V1_.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Grantchester (PBS HD) Sidney's vale.
Playing for Time (Netflix HD) I recorded this movie off the air onto VHS in 1980 and neglected to play it back. I finally rectified this last night via Netflix. Vanessa Redgrave's vivid and brave portrayal of concentration camp inmate Fania Fenelon is amazing. Ably supported by the great Jane Alexander and Shirley Knight. Script by Arthur Miller.
Bait (Mill Creek BD) Part of the Noir Volume 2. This is not a noir. Things do go south but Cleo Moore is not a femme fatale, though she is built like one.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got Grantchester watched last night but not The People Against O'Hara which I hope to get to today. I also recorded Veronika Voss from TCM which I'd like to revisit for the first time since I saw it in theaters decades ago.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I watched the first 5 episodes of 8 of Season 2 of Dark (Netflix 4K UHD), the German miniseries. It's getting more and more complicated as it's getting darker and darker.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Finished the last 3 episodes of Season 2 of Dark (Netflix 4K UHD), a very smart sci-fi German miniseries. Season 3 will be filmed later on.
Hold Back the Dawn (Arrow BD) Don't hold back To Each His Own, Leisen's other film with de Havilland. Revisited this very topical film in an excellent transfer. Highly recommended.
A Farewell to Arms (BFI BD Zone B) The incomparable Borzage version in a luminous transfer. I actually bought this edition because it has the alternative ending as an extra. My recommendation: Stick to the book's ending, you hicks!
Edit: This BFI transfer is superior to Kino's.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
July 17th, 2019 Wednesday

After completing my dual ports for my Altec Lancing A-7's it was time to enjoy some movies! :popcorn:

20190717_104119a.jpg 20190717_110137a.jpg

3973009220_ff31f2b7d1.jpg

Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machine
1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K
7.1 Dolby True HD

poster-terminator-3-rise-of-the-machines-schwarzenegger.png

The Patriot
4K UHD Blu-ray
7.1.4 Dolby Atmos

The Patriot.jpg

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Footlight Parade today. I've never seen the film look as good as it does on the Warner Archive Blu-ray disc. I'm very pleased indeed. I first saw this film in re-run houses more than fifty years ago! It was an old film even then, and the prints I saw emphasized the fact! This new disc is a revelation.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Crooked Web and Cell 2455, Death Row (Mill Creek BD) From the Noir Collection Vol.2. Very good transfers of films that are noir only by a very elastic definition. The first one stars potential femme fatale Mari Blanchard.
The Black Cat (Scream/Shout BD) Boris and Bela in Ulmer's phantasmagorical exercise in all things fiendish.
The Heiress (Criterion BD) Ralph Richardson at his best. This film just gets better with age. So does Dame Olivia.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks