What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (4 Viewers)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
After Saturday's marathon, I had time for only 2 on Sunday:
Dragnet Night (Kino BD) 1931 French film directed by Carmine Gallione. From the set: Clouzot: The Early Works. Starring Annabella and Albert Prejean. Rise and fall of a sailor turned pugilist. Well directed with many musical numbers inserted.
Diamonds of the Night (Criterion BD) Impressive first feature by Czech director Jan Nemec. Two young men fleeing from a train in Nazi Germany. Do they survive? Breathtaking opening tracking shot; stark B&W cinematography. This is not linear storytelling.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Just finished Halloween H20.....35mm, SDDS.

H201.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Three Twilight Time releases:
Mother Wore Tights Enjoyable Grable/Dailey vehicle with lovely, young Mona Freeman. Very good color transfer, imo, the best of the lot of the recent Fox releases.
Hello, Frisco, Hello The close-ups look great; some shots are compromised, but there is never any fringing or misalignment. Unfortunately, pales in comparison with the 35mm print I viewed in my younger days. But Faye and You'll Never Know makes up for it. Remake of an earlier and grittier 1935 Fox picture: King of Burlesque, also starring Alice Faye and Jack Oakie.
Hussy Helen Mirren and John Shea baring their all. Did I mention Mirren baring her all 40 years ago in this movie? Her all? Fearless Helen? The great Mirren? What a performance! Love can flourish amidst crime and squalor.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
July 2nd, 2019 Tuesday

Finished my review project last night, so today I'll be watching something fun: Captain Marvel, perhaps?

Have not yet seen Captain Marvel. I have brought it up on iTunes and keep deciding to pass up on it. I might just wait and pick it up on 4K blu-ray. I know I will be picking up the Thor and Iron Man trilogies on 4K UHD blu-ray.

Bourne Ultimatum
4K UHD Blu-ray
DTS-X 7.1.4

bourne-ultimatum.jpg

The Time Machine (1960)
1080p HD / Apple TV upscaled to 4K
Dolby 5.1

The Time Machine 1960.jpg

Bourne Ultimatum on 4K UHD Blu-ray in DTS-X sounded incredible through my Marantz SR-8012! And look very good on the Sony XBR55A9F 4K UHD OLED! No doubt in my mind the Marantz was the right choice to replace the older Pioneer Elite SC-05!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
You guys are making some wonderful choices for daily viewing. Loved The Time Machine, The Bourne Ultimatum, and Chitty. I need to get equally creative with a choice for today. Will report back later when I've made my decision.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
You guys are making some wonderful choices for daily viewing. Loved The Time Machine, The Bourne Ultimatum, and Chitty. I need to get equally creative with a choice for today. Will report back later when I've made my decision.
I made my decision: The List of Adrian Messenger on Blu-ray. I got it as a Christmas present, so I think that's plenty of time for it to have sat on the shelf before viewing.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Working through the 5 movie “Die Hard” boxed set. About to start movie 3. Was Bruce Willis ever that young and did he ever really smoke that much?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Ninth Day (Amazon Prime) Directed by Volker Schloendorff (The Tin Drum). Based on a true story. A Catholic priest is granted a 9-day leave to return to Luxembourg to try to convince the Bishop of said Duchy to bend to Hitlerism. At the end of the 9 days, if he is unsuccessful, he will be returned to Dachau. A crisis of conscience ensues. The real priest survived the war. Hitler did not.
The Card (Criterion Channel) A small 1952 jewel starring Alec Guiness, directed by Ronald Neame in the same vein as the Ealing comedies I had no idea that this existed. Glynis Johns, Petula Clark and Valerie Hobson grant sparkling support.
La rafle (The Roundup) (Amazon Prime) Back to the Holocaust. In the summer of 1942 the Nazis ordered the French government to round up the Jews, with a particular emphasis on immigrants, in order to deport them to Poland and the final solution. Many brave Parisians came to their rescue; over 20,000 thousand, however, were captured and taken to the Velodrome, a huge sports stadium. Men, women and children; the old, the sick; babies; children with infectious diseases; all were concentrated in that detention place without food, water, toilets, bedding. Eventually, the men were separated from the women; the mothers from their children; and all were then carted off on trains to Poland and certain extermination. Not one of the children on those trains ever came back: over 4,000 thousand. All these Jews were treated like vermin and were called verbally and physically insulted as they were beaten and abused by guards who were just doing their jobs while facilitating these crimes against humanity.
History judged them. History, alas, repeats itself.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Sin Takes a Holiday (Kino BD) Pre-Code (1930) Constance Bennett/Basil Rathbone vehicle. Some risky business and smart dialogue, but virtue eventually triumphs.
Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe (TCM) Binged on the 1940 Universal 12-episode serial. Mindless fun.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched The Package on Blu-ray disc, having re-watched the DVD a few days previously. The Blu-ray is an upgrade but not a huge one because the DVD is very good.

Today I'll be watching Little Fauss & Big Halsy which arrived this morning. I don't why it took so long for me to order this Blu-ray disc.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched two movies today that I had never seen before, both recorded off TCM and on my DVR.

First up was Escape, the 1940 drama with Robert Taylor entering Nazi-controlled Germany to try to find his dangerously ill mother confined to a concentration camp. Norma Shearer was top-billed as a Countess who eventually comes to help him, but it's really Taylor's movie, and he gives one of his best-ever performances. Surprisingly anti-Nazi at a time when studios were hedging their bets since we weren't in the war yet, Escape was pretty gripping entertainment. Silent star Nazimova played Taylor's actress mother condemned by the Nazis. and I really enjoyed my first viewing of it.

Secondly, I watched Silver Blaze, one of a number of British made Sherlock Holmes movies which modernized Holmes' stories years ahead of Universal's 12-film series. Arthur Wortner was a perfectly acceptable Holmes, but since the screenwriters added Moriarty to the story, there wasn't much mystery present, and some of the conflicts among the characters were kind of stopped and dropped along the way.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have last night's Elementary to watch, and a few days ago with a discount coupon I bought The Maze Runner: The Death Cure very cheaply for streaming in 4K. Curious to see how this trilogy wraps up.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched Little Fauss & Big Halsy which I hadn't seen for a very long time. I still enjoy the film although I now find the Big Halsy character too one-dimensional, too obviously selfish to be credible. It was good to see Linda Gaye Scott again and I still feel she should have had a bigger career. I might post another picture of her in the Blondes thread.

Today I'll watch the Twilight Time Blu-ray disc of Warlock.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks