What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched Journey To The Center Of The Earth last night via a very good Blu-ray disc.

I've just received an email from Amazon Germany about Westerns on Blu-ray over there. One is The Indian Fighter which I haven't watched for several years, so I'll give the DVD a spin tonight to see if I want to upgrade.
I can't remember if I ever watched my 2017 BD???? I know I've watched the film in the last five years or so. I need to check the disc out.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Dead Don't Die (DCP) Enjoyable, sometimes too meta, too clever for its own good. Still with that cast...
Rosita (DVD-R from French TV) Lubitsch directing Pickford. The latest restoration looks magnificent. It's a really good film, much maligned (inexplicably) by Pickford.
The Pass (Netflix HD) Two footballers in a complicated relationship, both personal and professional. Neatly divided into 3 acts. The third act goes into "Virginia Woolf" territory and is quite painful to watch. Starring the amazing Russel Tovey. It's a gay story, btw.
Come What May (Netflix HD) Very good film about a German man and his son who flee Germany in 1939 for what they think will be a safe haven in France. Comes 1940...

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
June 25th, 2019 Tuesday

Well the year is officially half over and we have enjoyed many great movies and here is to many more movies to come!

Hunter Killer (4K Apple TV)
4K / Dolby Vision
Dolby Atmos 7.1.4

Hunter Killer.jpg

The Conjuring (4K Apple TV)
4K Dolby Vision
5.1 Dolby

conjuring_ver2_xlg.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
618wzudnJWL.jpg

Got a chance to sneak in a nooner. These great old BW films take on new life now that I can watch on the big screen. <Lovin' my Theater>
It's Curtiz and Powell. Can't go wrong. In the female side, you've got the lovely and talented Margaret Lindsay and the great Ruth Donnelly (I used to see her come to MoMA to watch her old films. She was a gracious lady.)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Sorry to have been MIA, guys, but a freak storm on Saturday afternoon must have melted the Spectrum tower because I've had no internet for three days. Its loss did enable me to watch dozens of films and TV shows on disc since streaming was impossible. (Best argument for me to have discs AND streaming ability). Tonight once I got internet back, I streamed Sunday's Noir Alley SHadow on the Wall. I didn't think I had ever seen it before when it started, but I had seen it once years ago and enjoyed seeing it again. As always Eddie's comments were interesting but were too short.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Toy Story 4 (3D DCP) Lovely finale (I hope) to the series. A lump in my throat. Fortunately, for those who stayed, a bit of comedy to leaven the bittersweet note. Should be seen in 3D.
The Big Clock (Arrow BD) A very good film in a very good transfer. Lanchester is, as always, a hoot.
The Moon Spinners (TCM app) Joan Greenwood. Need I say more? (Well, it did give me the opportunity to hear Pola Negri's voice for the first time since watching all those Lubitsch silents.)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched The Moon-Spinners this afternoon. Nice to see it in its proper aspect ratio (the DVD is open matte). It's a bit too long for the story it's telling, and I didn't have quite as good a time with it as I remembered it being. And the print they screened hasn't been given much tender loving care (reel change cues, bits of dirt and damage present here and there). Hopefully, Disney has done a proper HD remaster. Still, nice to see it again.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I can't remember if I ever watched my 2017 BD???? I know I've watched the film in the last five years or so. I need to check the disc out.
As and when you do get around to watching it, please let us know about the picture quality. The DVD's OK but it's very much standard definition. A Blu-ray disc from an excellent transfer would be a big upgrade, but this is a United Artists film, now under the umbrella of MGM who don't give a damn about quality . . . . . .

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In order to get a $2 credit on my next Vudu purchase, I watched one of their Free With Ads movies which is going off the service at the end of the month: Double Jeopardy. It's a thriller with Ashley Judd and Tommy Lee Jones loaded with plot holes, but despite them, I've always enjoyed watching it. I only have it on DVD, so it was a pretty entertaining evening streaming the HD version.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Today, unless there is some unexpected interruption, I plan to watch the HD streaming version of The Parallax View that I bought late last week but haven't as yet found the time to watch.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
All Disney stuff using the TCM app:
Emil and the Detectives Enjoyable romp with believable child actors. Great turn from Walter Slezak (Willy in Lifeboat). I only wish I could see the original German film directed by Emeric Pressburger and scripted by Billy Wilder.
Never a Dull Moment Dick Van Dyke and Edward G. Robinson. Mistaken identities. Mayhem. Virtue triumphs. Also enjoyable.
The Littlest Horse Thieves, directed by Charles Jarrott and with Alastair Sim as the colliery owner. The children were good. I enjoyed this one.
The North Avenue Irregulars So many good actors in this one. Quite an enjoyable comedy of a Reverend and a group of women working with government agents to break a numbers racket in a small town.
Plus 2 very good cartoons: Bone Bandit and The Robber Kitten

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched on DVD The Package, a very fast-moving thriller with an excellent cast led by Gene Hackman and Joanna Cassidy, with Pam Grier in a modest, supporting role. I've now ordered the Blu-ray disc! The DVD isn't bad but I imagine High Definition will make this film seem even better.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Widows (2018)
Four women with nothing in common except being left in the lurch by their dead husbands plan a heist. It didn'tget very good reviews, but I liked it. Watched on Blu-Ray

Small Town Girl (1953)
A solid second level musical staring Jane Powell. It also features Ann Miller who is one of my favorites. Watched it on DVD since that's all there is. Great Technicolor, would be fun to see a Blu-Ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks