What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (5 Viewers)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Just about all titans/founders of business have that same trait like a shark circling around chum. The McDonald brothers didn't have that ruthless trait and should have stayed a local business.

In the end IMHO that did not justify Ray Kroc stealing there business from them and purposely running them out of business. I feel it is hard to have any respect for Ray Kroc after seeing The Founder. That being said I am looking to add this movie to my collection hopefully this year given the upgrades I am doing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In the end IMHO that did not justify Ray Kroc stealing there business from them and purposely running them out of business. I feel it is hard to have any respect for Ray Kroc after seeing The Founder. That being said I am looking to add this movie to my collection hopefully this year given the upgrades I am doing.
I never said I was justifying his actions or even respected him, I just said he was cut from the same cloth as Henry Ford or John D, Rockefeller to name a few. I've done papers on some of those titans and some of them were even worse than Ray Kroc. These guys aren't good people which is why many of them set up on these foundations after their deaths in the hope for some forgiveness when none is actually coming for them.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Watched this last night as Comcast had free movies for a few days. I didn't know much about Stalin's policies against Ukraine before. The movie was OK.

bh.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Fritz Langs' Die Nibelung: Part 2 (Kriemhild's Revenge), Kino BD
Henry King's Untamed (TT BD)
John Huston's Beat the Devil (TT BD) Highly recommended.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I never said I was justifying his actions or even respected him, I just said he was cut from the same cloth as Henry Ford or John D, Rockefeller to name a few. I've done papers on some of those titans and some of them were even worse than Ray Kroc. These guys aren't good people which is why many of them set up on these foundations after their deaths in the hope for some forgiveness when none is actually coming for them.

I understand where you where coming from and I understand. Henry Ford was said to be a very shrewd and clever man. I heard a story about how he gave a motor manufacturer the specs for the motor down to the dimensions of the crate the motor was to be shipped in. After the motor was removed from the crate they used the crate walls for the floorboards of the Model A or Model T I can not remember which.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
January 23rd, 2019 Wednesday

Pirates Of The Caribbean: At Worlds End
1080p blu-ray upconverted to 4K
5.1 Lossless PCM to Auro 2D

w47ckKyneX0A4SCR1QWdjpb2sqc.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My DVR has just finished recording the 1930 musical version of New Moon with Laurence Tibbett and Grace Moore which I have been dying to see for decades. Eager to make a comparison to the 1940 MacDonald-Eddy version, but also just to see Tibbett on film which I've never been able to do.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
My DVR has just finished recording the 1930 musical version of New Moon with Laurence Tibbett and Grace Moore which I have been dying to see for decades. Eager to make a comparison to the 1940 MacDonald-Eddy version, but also just to see Tibbett on film which I've never been able to do.
The story line of the 1930 The New Moon is completely fabricated and has nothing to do with the original operetta or the MacDonald/Eddy version (which does hew more closely to the plot of the operetta). Tibbett is a better singer and actor than Eddy.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Incredible Shrinking Man (Arrow BD region B)
The Endless (Arrow BD region B)
Borzage's Magnificent Doll (Arrow BD region B)
And a Fathom event of a filmed stage performance of Cyrano de Bergerac in French.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The story line of the 1930 The New Moon is completely fabricated and has nothing to do with the original operetta or the MacDonald/Eddy version (which does hew more closely to the plot of the operetta). Tibbett is a better singer and actor than Eddy.
I watched New Moon tonight. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience in the main; Grace Moore isn't as comely as Jeanette MacDonald (though her soprano is less piercing and more refined), but the standout throughout is Lawrence Tibbett. My god, if musicals hadn't gone out of fashion, he would have been the biggest star of the early talkie era. He had everything: looks (even if they did use silent screen star make-up on him with overly accentuated eyes and rouged lips which always look ridiculous to us now), physique, and the most glorious voice that was melting even while speaking, and the singing is legendary. The plot was pure corn, but the escapism was still fun. And the print TCM showed looked really good!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I watched New Moon tonight. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience in the main; Grace Moore isn't as comely as Jeanette MacDonald (though her soprano is less piercing and more refined), but the standout throughout is Lawrence Tibbett. My god, if musicals hadn't gone out of fashion, he would have been the biggest star of the early talkie era. He had everything: looks (even if they did use silent screen star make-up on him with overly accentuated eyes and rouged lips which always look ridiculous to us now), physique, and the most glorious voice that was melting even while speaking, and the singing is legendary. The plot was pure corn, but the escapism was still fun. And the print TCM showed looked really good!
I've seen all of Tibbett's extant output via MGM, and about a quarter hour of his singing/acting footage (in Technicolor) from The Rogue's Song. He was indeed a tremendous presence with a peerless baritone's voice. The first time I saw The New Moon it was called Parisian Belle (???) so as not to confuse it with the remake (which had to do with Paris and not Russia!).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm having a young Lana Turner season. Yesterday I watched dancing Co-Ed where yes, Lana dances, and not badly either. Today I'll watch Two Girls On Broadway where she co-stars with Joan Blondell whom I've also always liked.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Jumping onto the TCM app tonight, I selected Grounds for Marriage with Van Johnson and Kathryn Grayson for viewing. It's always been a mildly entertaining romantic comedy for me, but I never tire of listening to the "Toy Concerto" by David Raksin. I also think Van Johnson's monologue before the ladies' society while coming down with a cold is one of the best pieces of acting he ever did.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
January 28th, 2018 Monday

James Cameron's
Aliens (Directors Cut)
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K

20190128_192016a.jpg

IMG_9446a.jpg

For sure I would be willing to purchase the first Alien and Aliens movies on 4K UHD Blu-ray!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nielmb
    Recent bookmarks