What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (3 Viewers)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched The Man From Laramie again last night. My father took me to see this when it first came out. I loved it then, I love it now and I love the Twilight Time Blu-ray disc!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
January 17th, 2019 Thursday

First movie on brand new Sony XBR55A9F 55" 4K OLED

Cars
5.1 Uncompressed PCM to Auro 2D
1080p Blu-ray upconverted to 4K UHD

58aa0337d92aa0bcf4c0d0a8caaf9996.jpg

IMG_2353a.jpg

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just bought 7 BDs from Big Lots. I bought up all the 3Ders they had to offer, but this is what I just bought now: E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRAIL (this has DTS 7.1); ANTHROPOID; THE WOMAN IN BLACK 2 (I have 1); ZOMBIE NIGHT (UR); THE EXORCISM OF MOLLY HARTLEY (UR); HOUSE AT THE END OF THE STREET (UR) and DEVIL'S DUE = $25, NOT A BAD HAUL.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Last night, Peg and I watched:

Banner_05.jpg

We enjoyed it immensely. A "small" film which didn't try to do too much. But it developed its characters and told the story in a very entertaining way. If Redford follows through on his threat to hang up his acting career with this film, it's a shame.

And, it was short (90 minutes). It didn't feel the need to take two hours to tell the tale.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Ben Is Back (DCP) Solid, uncompromising story. Well acted, directed.
Sacha Guitry's Let's Go Up the Champs-Elysses (Arrow BD)
The third in the Sartana box" Sartana's Here...Trade Your Pistol for a Coffin (Arrow BD)
Un traductor (A Translator) Moving Cuban-Canadian film (Film Movement DVD)
Born of Fire (Indicator BD) Very strange film starring Peter Firth. Quite fascinating.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Bogie being bad in The Two Mrs. Carrolls on the TCM app this afternoon. Always a fascinating movie, and it works well until the end when Stanwyck's character makes one bone-headed decision after another after she locks herself in her bedroom to escape the mad Bogie.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Late Night

upload_2019-1-19_0-43-23.png

Martin Rosen's passion project, after Watership Down, i had seen the original home video release of the US cut of the film in the mid 80's, when i was a much younger man, and revisiting it now i see it in a different scope and depth, the animation style and camera angles suite this film very well, It's hauntingly beautiful at times, and depressing as hell every moment. You have the option of the US cut or the original 103 min Extended cut, i chose the latter as it was the directors original intention.

The extended cut of the film is most definitely not for children, how does one recommend a depressing film because of its subject matter. The voice work is outstanding, the ending for the film may haunt you.

side note, my wife an i work with a rescue, so i have a special place in my heart, for a wagging tail,

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Bruno Dumont's L'il Quinquin, a 206 minute French murder mystery. Very quirky. (Kino BD)
Scandal Sheet, directed by Phil Karlson, from a Sam Fuller novel (Indicator BD)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I again went to the TCM app and watched Séance on a Wet Afternoon. I had seen this before some years ago but had forgotten much about it. A sad look at desperate people.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I again went to the TCM app and watched Séance on a Wet Afternoon. I had seen this before some years ago but had forgotten much about it. A sad look at desperate people.
Kim Stanley won the NYFCCA for her performance in this film. Bryan Forbes could be an effective writer/director.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...

I think I just saw my favorite film of 2018!

A couple nights ago, Peg and I watched The Old Man and the Gun. I described it as a small film but with a great cast--the kind of film that didn't try to do too much but developed its characters and told a great little story.

Tonight we watched What We Had. This "small film" starred Robert Forster, Blythe Danner (two of my all-time favorite actors!), Hilary Swank and Michael Shannon. It also had Josh Lucas in a small role. This film hit me hard. In just 100 minutes I felt like I really got to know the members of this family and all the various problems they were going through and the tough decisions which lay ahead for each of them.

The film centers around the mother's development of Alzheimer's disease. And first time writer/director Elizabeth Chomko somehow keeps her story from becoming maudlin or predictable or cliche. It pulled at my heart throughout the film--even through a couple of scenes I might describe as clunky. But, honestly, there was one give-and-take near the end between Danner and Swank that I think is one of the most lovely pieces of dialogue that I've ever heard.

If you like family dramas...which also contain a fair amount of humor, I wholeheartedly recommend this film.

595x.png

If I didn't compile the RoundUp each week, I may never have found out about this film. When I saw the title it meant nothing. When I saw "Universal" next to it, I wanted to see what it was (figuring it was probably a dumb comedy or something that I didn't ay attention to when it was released). When I looked it up on Amazon, I zoomed in on the cover and saw Blythe and Forster. I then watched the trailer and couldn't wait to see it. And it, obviously, didn't let me down.

I watched it on DVD (which I had pre-ordered from Amazon). But it turns out that There is a Blu-on-demand version that is available from TCM.com for $24.95. I got it for $10 less on DVD but now kinda wish I hadn't spared the expense on it because I know I want want to watch it again.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I got it for $10 less on DVD but now kinda wish I hadn't spared the expense on it because I know I want want to watch it again.

Believe it or not, I have a ton of friends who are still DVD-only. I usually gift my old discs to one of them -- well, not "gift" exactly, since if it were a birthday gift or something I would buy them a new one, but more like "re-home." If you want the Blu-ray badly enough, perhaps you could get it and then re-home the DVD, if you have a friend for whom Blu-ray is not a concern? Theoretically, that would lessen the pain of a double dip. But I'm glad you love the film so much and will check it out when it streams somewhere like Netflix or Prime. It never played here.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well...

I think I just saw my favorite film of 2018!

A couple nights ago, Peg and I watched The Old Man and the Gun. I described it as a small film but with a great cast--the kind of film that didn't try to do too much but developed its characters and told a great little story.

Tonight we watched What We Had. This "small film" starred Robert Forster, Blythe Danner (two of my all-time favorite actors!), Hilary Swank and Michael Shannon. It also had Josh Lucas in a small role. This film hit me hard. In just 100 minutes I felt like I really got to know the members of this family and all the various problems they were going through and the tough decisions which lay ahead for each of them.

The film centers around the mother's development of Alzheimer's disease. And first time writer/director Elizabeth Chomko somehow keeps her story from becoming maudlin or predictable or cliche. It pulled at my heart throughout the film--even through a couple of scenes I might describe as clunky. But, honestly, there was one give-and-take near the end between Danner and Swank that I think is one of the most lovely pieces of dialogue that I've ever heard.

If you like family dramas...which also contain a fair amount of humor, I wholeheartedly recommend this film.

595x.png

If I didn't compile the RoundUp each week, I may never have found out about this film. When I saw the title it meant nothing. When I saw "Universal" next to it, I wanted to see what it was (figuring it was probably a dumb comedy or something that I didn't ay attention to when it was released). When I looked it up on Amazon, I zoomed in on the cover and saw Blythe and Danner. I then watched the trailer and couldn't wait to see it. And it, obviously, didn't let me down.

I watched it on DVD (which I had pre-ordered from Amazon). But it turns out that There is a Blu-on-demand version that is available from TCM.com for $24.95. I got it for $10 less on DVD but now kinda wish I hadn't spared the expense on it because I know I want want to watch it again.
Due to your recommendation I've placed this film title on my wish lists on iTunes and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks