What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (6 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Vudu put the HD, restored version of Holiday on sale this weekend, and since I had a 20% off code to use, I bought the film and watched it this afternoon. It's a far superior transfer to the recorded-off-TCM DVD-R that I've been using for years to get my Holiday fix. I truly love this movie and never tire of watching it. I don't have to be in the mood for it like I have to be to watch its more sophisticated, brittle sibling The Philadelphia Story.

I've been expecting it from Criterion for years, and now that I've bought the streaming version, I'm sure it'll be announced any day now.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Vudu put the HD, restored version of Holiday on sale this weekend, and since I had a 20% off code to use, I bought the film and watched it this afternoon. It's a far superior transfer to the recorded-off-TCM DVD-R that I've been using for years to get my Holiday fix. I truly love this movie and never tire of watching it. I don't have to be in the mood for it like I have to be to watch its more sophisticated, brittle sibling The Philadelphia Story.

I've been expecting it from Criterion for years, and now that I've bought the streaming version, I'm sure it'll be announced any day now.
I haven't watched this one in ages. Thanks for getting the ball rolling on a Blu Ray release.:cool: Looking forward to watching it again.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Between Friday and Saturday I watched:
The Cossack Whip (1918) with Viola Dana; directed by her husband John H. Collins, who succumbed during the 1918 flu epidemic (DVD)
Doberman Cop, directed by Fukasaku and starring "Sonny" Chiba (Arrow BD)
Barbara, directed by Christian Petzold, starring Nina Hoss (BD)
Gothic, directed by the one and only Ken Russell (BD)
Gun Crazy, quintessential noir from Joseph H. Lewis (Warner Archive BD)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
upload_2019-1-13_21-35-48.png

a short break from the high seas and catching up on another from the WAC 4 for $44 sale

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey RolandL yes even though my uncle who was a huge spots nut was a Rams fan, ROFL. :lol:

There are alot of Cowboys fans here in California and other places.

49571336_2237363762994494_5093627176339636224_o.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
January 15th, 2019 Tuesday

The Criterion Collection / 20th Century Fox
The Innocents (1961)
1080p blu-ray upconverted to 4K
Mono Sound

20190115_201743a.jpg

Tonight's movie The Innocents is the last movie on the Samsung UN55F9000 4K UHD TV as it is scheduled to be boxed and stored after the new Sony XBR55A9F arrives tomorrow! The next movie I watch will be on the new Sony OLED which means Sony has come home to the Moritz Home Theater! My first HDTV was a Sony Wega rear projection which I gave to my neighbor after getting the Samsung 4K TV.

IMG_1357a.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had started At the Circus with the Marx Bros. on the TCM app a couple of days ago, but I only got halfway through before being interrupted, so I will finish it today before starting on the next Perry Mason movie in the box set. I also have some TV recorded from last night I want to watch.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
51aLaaIw2YL._SY450_.jpg

Picked this up in a recent Warner Archive 4 for $44 sale, and am glad I did. Watching the Blu-Ray was my first viewing of this film, and it looks mighty fine. A compelling melodrama, more focused on the training and romantic lives of its cast of young Marines than the usual wartime battle scenes. Never read the book, so I'm not sure how the film differs, but it sure plays like the filmmakers realized that Aldo Ray was the most interesting character here and really put him to the fore. Tab Hunter's Mrs. Robinson affair with lonely Dorothy Malone is over too quickly but her sad, gorgeous face leaves a lasting memory, as does a brief appearance by a young and lovely Anne Francis. But it's Nancy Olson, as the kind Kiwi widow that Ray falls for, who makes the biggest impression in the romance department.

Typically fine performances from Van Heflin and James Whitmore, too. Not much battle action until the end, but then, this isn't that kind of war film. It was also nice to see Navaho codebreakers depicted here, too. And I was rather shocked to see one soldier clearly flip the bird at another company of troops during one scene...not used to seeing that in a 50s movie!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    blitz
    Recent bookmarks