What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (5 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've been reading When Blanche Met Brando about the making of A Streetcar Named Desire on stage and screen, so it's put me in the mood to watch A Streetcar Named Desire again on Blu-ray today; probably tonight when the room will be completely dark and the wonderful black and white cinematography can really shine.

Reactions: PMF

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
upload_2019-2-2_8-40-20.png

one of Bela's Monogram 9, on blu

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Yanks (TT BD)
Marius (1931) Part 1 of Pagnol's Marseille Trilogy (Criterion BD)
Sisters (Criterion BD)
Walsh's Dark Command (Olive BD) with the great Claire Trevor

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Today, I'll watch Street Angel, one of the three films that earned Janet Gaynor the first Best Actress Oscar. I have seen her other two honored performances in Seventh Heaven and Sunrise, but this will be my first viewing of Street Angel.

Since I have no interest in the Super Bowl, I'll watch a lengthy film this evening, Blade Runner 2049 in UHD.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Today, I'll watch Street Angel, one of the three films that earned Janet Gaynor the first Best Actress Oscar. I have seen her other two honored performances in Seventh Heaven and Sunrise, but this will be my first viewing of Street Angel.

Since I have no interest in the Super Bowl, I'll watch a lengthy film this evening, Blade Runner 2049 in UHD.
Street Angel was lost for many decades (5?) and I saw it when MoMA showed it after it was found somewhere. It was a 35mm print (can't remember its exact condition), but I was enthralled by the artistry involved. Borzage at the top of his silent period. Enjoy!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The transfer looked surprisingly good for a film this old. Janet and Charles Farrell are wonderful in their roles, but the old plot contrivance of having the women with a BIG secret hold off from telling her love the truth until she's hauled away leaving him devastated by her abandonment (that was supposed to be better than just leveling with someone she loves?) is rather annoying all these years later (though writers still use this ALL THE TIME, much to my dismay). Borzage won his directing Oscar for Seventh Heaven, but he could just as easily won it for this: it's wonderfully helmed with great nods to German expressionism.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well...

I think I just saw my favorite film of 2018!

A couple nights ago, Peg and I watched The Old Man and the Gun. I described it as a small film but with a great cast--the kind of film that didn't try to do too much but developed its characters and told a great little story.

Tonight we watched What We Had. This "small film" starred Robert Forster, Blythe Danner (two of my all-time favorite actors!), Hilary Swank and Michael Shannon. It also had Josh Lucas in a small role. This film hit me hard. In just 100 minutes I felt like I really got to know the members of this family and all the various problems they were going through and the tough decisions which lay ahead for each of them.

The film centers around the mother's development of Alzheimer's disease. And first time writer/director Elizabeth Chomko somehow keeps her story from becoming maudlin or predictable or cliche. It pulled at my heart throughout the film--even through a couple of scenes I might describe as clunky. But, honestly, there was one give-and-take near the end between Danner and Swank that I think is one of the most lovely pieces of dialogue that I've ever heard.

If you like family dramas...which also contain a fair amount of humor, I wholeheartedly recommend this film.

595x.png

If I didn't compile the RoundUp each week, I may never have found out about this film. When I saw the title it meant nothing. When I saw "Universal" next to it, I wanted to see what it was (figuring it was probably a dumb comedy or something that I didn't ay attention to when it was released). When I looked it up on Amazon, I zoomed in on the cover and saw Blythe and Forster. I then watched the trailer and couldn't wait to see it. And it, obviously, didn't let me down.

I watched it on DVD (which I had pre-ordered from Amazon). But it turns out that There is a Blu-on-demand version that is available from TCM.com for $24.95. I got it for $10 less on DVD but now kinda wish I hadn't spared the expense on it because I know I want want to watch it again.
@Mike Frezon iTunes has the HD Download/Stream of this film on sale for $9.99. It's a MoviesAnywhere title so if you buy it on iTunes for that price, it will show up on Vudu too in HDX. I'm going to try to watch this week.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last night, Peg and I watched:

Banner_05.jpg

We enjoyed it immensely. A "small" film which didn't try to do too much. But it developed its characters and told the story in a very entertaining way. If Redford follows through on his threat to hang up his acting career with this film, it's a shame. It's not John Wayne with "The Shootist", but Redford did well.

And, it was short (90 minutes). It didn't feel the need to take two hours to tell the tale.
I watched this title on iTunes this past weekend and I enjoyed it a lot. If this was Redford's "swan song" acting-wise then he finished his acting career with a fine film.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I finally got my copy of The Thing from Another World, and I'll be watching that one this afternoon. Tonight, with most of prime time given over to politics, I'll likely stream Roma from Netflix.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
@Mike Frezon iTunes has the HD Download/Stream of this film on sale for $9.99. It's a MoviesAnywhere title so if you buy it on iTunes for that price, it will show up on Vudu too in HDX. I'm going to try to watch this week.

I'll be REALLY curious to hear what you think of What They Had, Robert.

I think it's a shame that not more people know about this film. That might have something to do with a pretty bad title, I suppose. Once you've seen the film, you "get" the title...but it's not a title that is easy to remember or tells the viewer anything about what they are going to see. I'm sure there are lots of other reasons it's not well-known, too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll be REALLY curious to hear what you think of What They Had, Robert.

I think it's a shame that not more people know about this film. That might have something to do with a pretty bad title, I suppose. Once you've seen the film, you "get" the title...but it's not a title that is easy to remember or tells the viewer anything about what they are going to see. I'm sure there are lots of other reasons it's not well-known, too.
I will definitely post my thoughts on it whether in this thread and/or in my blog thread.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Roma tonight. I can see the enthusiasm for its masterful direction and exquisite cinematography. Certain sequences are gripping and unforgettable, and the unpretentious and quiet protagonist earns lots of admiration for her loving care and concern for children not her own. I couldn't begin to assess its serious consideration for the Best Picture Oscar since I haven't seen every nominee. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if it won.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nielmb
    Recent bookmarks