What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (4 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just one episode, I know. But the show really didn't seem to know what it wanted to be (which I thought was a comedy). A lot of hype and promotion...which, I didn't feel the show even came close to living up to. A little too much drama and angst (about being family members of a boy genius) and too few jokes.
Hey, it's not Gifted, but I thought it was okay and will give it a few more episodes. Did you watch it live or did you DVR'd it?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yesterday, I drove to my favorite local theater complex and watched To Catch a Thief. The cinematographer of this film really earned his Oscar.

Man, having Grace Kelly on the big screen made me smile ear to ear. What a beautiful woman! It's too bad her film career and life was cut short.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
September 28th, 2017 Thursday

For The Love Of Spock
Neflix

maxresdefault.jpg

for-love-of-spock-trailer.jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've had a Yvonne Romain evening, watching both The Frightened City (early Sean Connery) and Return To Sender. Both films are enjoyable but hardly great movies. Yvonne Romain was a genuinely glamorous actress who might have become a big star if she had been given the right material and worked with good directors instead of working with directors who had either not enough time or not enough talent to show her at her best. Someone should have told her that it was her eyes and her face that made her interesting, not her over-promoted cleavage.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
upload_2017-9-30_9-56-24.png

ending the month with some contributions, from work done by some of our very own forum members, First up September Storm in 3D thanks to Bob Furmanek and the 3D Archive. Seemed right to end September this way, giving the eyes a workout till ***Official 18th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2017***
kicks off.

upload_2017-9-30_10-3-35.png

and jumping from the coast to the mainland thanks to Cinerama Inc.’s Dave Strohmaier and company, in the Smilebox format.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Chisum this afternoon. I believe it is the only John Wayne movie from the 1970s that I had never seen, and I've had the Blu-ray sitting in my to-watch pile for a long time.

Very enjoyable western, and since I knew nothing about it going in, I was shocked to see Billy the Kid and Pat Garrett as a very big part of the story. And what a fabulous cast rounded up for this movie! This must have been the project that Chris George and Linda Day met on before they married since she's still billed as Linda Day here. Just loved the muttering Ben Johnson and really the entire cast was just aces.

The transfer was sterling, too, with very strong mono sound. If you like John Wayne or westerns, this is a very good time at the movies.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Jumping head first into the ***Official 18th Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2017***

0/1/17- Day One - Animals , First Up
Willard

Haven't seen the original in almost 30 years, not a drop of CGI, and a lot darker than it may seem, Bruce Davidson, in his best known feature, nails it as the put upon loser. The bonus features has an new interview with Davidson that is very informative, as how it took time, energy and peanut butter to get a lot of the shots.

Second Feature:
Ben

First Time Viewing
the follow up to Willard, how have i gone all these years without seeing this, Joseph Campanella , as the cop investigating Willard's death by the rats, the attacks are more aggressive, with a young Meredith Baxter long before she became a TV mom. The transfer for this isn't up to the same quality as Willard, as the OCN was not available, but still a good film like presentation, and a decent sequel.

Third Feature:
Kingdom of the Spiders

Taming the western frontier, Shatner, against an onslaught of real spiders, great presentation, as for bonus features, seems he was hitting on his costar a bit, even with his wife around. be advised, for any with aversions to animal cruelty, there is a scene where some of the actual spiders are crushed, the ending is perfectly ominous.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched Chisum this afternoon. I believe it is the only John Wayne movie from the 1970s that I had never seen, and I've had the Blu-ray sitting in my to-watch pile for a long time.

Very enjoyable western, and since I knew nothing about it going in, I was shocked to see Billy the Kid and Pat Garrett as a very big part of the story. And what a fabulous cast rounded up for this movie! This must have been the project that Chris George and Linda Day met on before they married since she's still billed as Linda Day here. Just loved the muttering Ben Johnson and really the entire cast was just aces.

The transfer was sterling, too, with very strong mono sound. If you like John Wayne or westerns, this is a very good time at the movies.

I like Chisum a lot. I saw it when it first came out and I've always been puzzled that most people regard it as second or third rate John Wayne. I think it's a really good Western.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched the DVD of The Tender Trap, a film I've always liked ever since becoming a Sinatra fan in my early teens. I still love this film although I can now see that Frank Sinatra was not the world's greatest deliverer of comic lines. I would have loved to have seen his role played by William Powell as he was in the 1930s. Celeste Holm, as always, was superb.

The DVD has appalling distortion around Frank Sinatra in the pre-credit sequence as he walks towards the camera. After that, it's a pretty good presentation. I wonder if Warner Archive can clean up the images and release a sparkling Blu-ray disc.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I rewatched the 1950 Annie Get Your Gun tonight. Since I read that Mary Martin's 1957 TV spectacular of Annie Get Your Gun was coming to Blu-ray soon (I have a taped-off-TV copy of the show; this new release should be a big step up from that), I thought I'd re-familiarize myself with the show again. I hate that wonderful songs from the show score were dropped, but it's a fine version of the show with some spectacular production effects. Betty Hutton is so much better in the comic numbers than the ballads (they need someone with more voice and vocal sustain), but she's a better-than-OK Annie.

If Warners is looking for an Academy ratio musical that could come to Blu-ray without a lot of tinkering, Annie Get Your Gun should certainly be a contender.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Today I watched the DVD of The Tender Trap, a film I've always liked ever since becoming a Sinatra fan in my early teens. I still love this film although I can now see that Frank Sinatra was not the world's greatest deliverer of comic lines. I would have loved to have seen his role played by William Powell as he was in the 1930s. Celeste Holm, as always, was superb.

The DVD has appalling distortion around Frank Sinatra in the pre-credit sequence as he walks towards the camera. After that, it's a pretty good presentation. I wonder if Warner Archive can clean up the images and release a sparkling Blu-ray disc.

It was on TCMHD a while ago. I forget if it was HD or just an upscale of SD image. It will be on TCMHD again on 11/13 4 PM EST.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today, for the first time in years, I watched Dangerous Crossing, a really interesting drama which blends the women-in-peril formula with the mystery format. I've always liked Jeanne Crain who has one of her best roles in this film, and Dangerous Crossing also has two character actors I like a lot: Willis Bouchey and Casey Adams who also appeared in films under the name of Max Showalter.

The DVD provides a very good presentation of this film. I suppose at some stage Kino Lorber or Twilight Time will release a Blu-ray disc, but I won't feel a strong compulsion to upgrade. This DVD gets the job done.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
October 2nd, 2017 Monday

The Dark Knight
1080p BD Upconverted to 4K UHD
5.1 Dolby True HD

free-movie-film-poster-the_dark_knight_movie_poster.jpg

Will repurchase this in 4K UHD if and when they release it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks