What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (2 Viewers)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched Model For Murder, a small, little-known British crime film. It's not a great film by any reckoning but it's quite enjoyable. I've read the reviews on IMDB, and none of them is favorable! Maybe I was in a tolerant mood yesterday. One IMDB reviewer says the film lacks pace. I don't understand that because the story doesn't stand still for a moment.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
September 9th, 2017 Saturday

Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea (1961)
1080P Upconverted to 4K UHD
Stereo

0909_voyagebottomsea.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Between yesterday and today:

711ohcUEfXL._SX342_.jpg

megan-leavey-poster.jpg

guardians-of-the-galaxy-official-poster-wallpaper-3.jpg

I re-watched GotG to refresh my memory about the film in anticipation of a viewing soon of my newly-purchased copy of GotG:V2.

I was hugely disappointed in Megan Leavey. Kate Mara was fine...but the script wasn't. There was nothing unique here, just some vastly overused ideas. No new ground broken. Edie Falco was completely wasted. And there was a lot of behavioral stuff involving the dog that just didn't make sense. It might be that I'm a little too close to the material (know a lot about dog training) to ignore it and try to appreciate the rest of the story.

And I am such a huge fan of Richard and Robert Sherman that the newly released DVD of Richard Sherman's Songs of a Lifetime is one of the greatest gifts I've given myself in a long time. A full hour of pure bliss...just Richard Sherman sitting at a piano and playing and singing his own songs. He briefly sets up each song with a few words about how it was written. It's like a dream come true--being invited to a Bruce Kimmel party in which Sherman might sit at the piano and regale the party-goers with some of his instantly recognizable classics.

After I watched the show I turned to my Peg and said, "it's as if he wrote each of those songs with me in mind." Every rhyme, turn of a phrase and story in his songs speaks to me like very few other song-writers. I'd say only Oscar Hammerstein II even comes in at a distant second.

Sherman is joined on a few songs by other performers--Ashley Brown, Juliana Hansen and the Dapper Dans of Disneyland. If you like Disney music...or, more specifically, the Sherman Brothers...RUN to order this release.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
September 12th, 2017 Tuesday

ET: The Extra Terrestrial
4K UHD BD
7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (DTS-X)

E.T..jpg

IMHO the best consumer transfer ever! I have never seen this movie look so good on home video!

Upgraded my dvd version to 4K UHD BD :- )

IMG_9372b.jpg

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I completed watching all of the Marvel TV series on Netflix. Some of those series I like better than others. I have to say Jessica Jones is my favorite, but I also enjoyed Daredevil and Luke Cage. Iron Fist was alright, but it was my least favorite. The Defenders I enjoyed more than Iron Fist, but it was kind of uneven. I think the 8 vs.13 episodes hurt it some.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched Summer And Smoke, an Olive Films Blu-ray disc that I've had lying around unwatched for ages. Having recently watched some Tennessee Williams with Suddenly, Last Summer and some early Pamela Tiffin with One, Two, Three, I was in the mood for Summer And Smoke.

I really enjoyed it and was delighted by the cast which included some favorite characters actors like Thomas Gomez, Malcolm Atterbury and John McIntire.

Olive Films' Blu-ray disc has excellent picture quality.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Now that I'm done with TV series, I'm back concentrating on watching movies and I just got done with Arrow's Blu-ray release of The Day of the Jackal.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Within an hour or 2 I plan to watch the 1954 film "Jail Bait", which was directed by the late & infamous Edward D. Wood Jr.

Though I'm afraid that "Jail Bait" won't even come close to being as hilarious as Ed Wood's sci-fi/horror "classic"-1956's or 1959's "Plan 9 From Outer Space". (Plan 9 was made in 1956, but did not see its extremely limited release until 1959.)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Picked up the complete Desperate Housewives after the show finished.

I was working my way through the seasons in 2015, but for some reason I stopped after season six.

Started back up recently. Finished S7, and currently in the final season. This was a fun, funny show.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched Margin Call which I enjoyed enormously. I was pleased that there were no cardboard villains and that instead even the most socially irresponsible characters were making what they believed were sensible decisions. I was and am intrigued by the casting. Jeremy Irons as the top man: how many big Wall Street firms are helmed by a Brit? It was good to see Demi Moore again - she has matured well - and to see Kevin Spacey and Simon Baker sharing scenes as they did in L. A. Confidential.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This morning I watched Blade Runner in 4K disc. I was more impressed by the Dolby Atmos sountrack than the 4K/UHD presentation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Blade Runner 4K UHD BD is on my purchase list Robert how is the video transfer? Is it worth getting?
The video presentation is great, but the audio presentation really stood out to me. This week, I just got my audio system calibrated so Blade Runner was my first Dolby Atmos disc I heard in its entirety.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I can not wait to upgrade my Pioneer Elite SC-05 to a flagship Marantz so I can start enjoying atmos myself. Will have to see how much the new SR-8012 is going to cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks