What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (6 Viewers)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched the new Blu-ray disc of Suddenly, Last Summer. As seems always to be the case when Twilight Time release a Columbia film that has been remastered by Sony, the result is excellent. I think everyone will be pleased with this disc.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
August 29th, 2017 Tuesday

There's Something About Mary
35mm Film Print

theres_something_about_mary.jpg

August 30th, 2017 Wednesday

The Conjuring
1080p HBO
5.1 Dolby Digital EX

conjuring_ver2_xlg.jpg

Next months classic movie I am planning on attending will be All About Eve from 1950.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching Night of The Generals. Very good. Unusual take on a WW2 based film, with a bit of a twist that you don't see coming. The ending was a bit disappointing. Still, the movie moves to the top of the list of the ones I ordered from Twilight Time.

I don't see the two Jackie Chan flicks that I have left to watch topping that one.

NoTG is the last one I'll be watching on this particular TV. It goes back today.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Sure. It wasn't what I expected, but still worth watching. It's largely a talking head doc with extras and bit players. The big "get" of the doc is the participation of David Prowse, who is a fantastic interview.

poster57195_1.jpg

I watched 'Elstree 1976' for a second time. Something about this just fascinates me. Such bit players in one of the most popular films ever made. It is both intriguing, and a bit sad. It is just one of those documentaries that I will enjoy revisiting. I'm going to buy it on Blu-Ray.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched the Warner Archive Blu-ray disc of Night Moves. It's a superb disc of demonstration quality but I'm never going to be a big fan of the film. The screenplay is by Alan Sharp and has his characteristic strengths and weaknesses. Narratively slack, meandering and unclear, it's really strong on relationships and dialog. (The same can be said about The Last Run) For me, Gene Hackman hold this film together and holds my attention too. If the lead had been played by a less interesting actor, I wouldn't waste time on this film.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
This evening I watched Son Of Paleface which I've seen just once in a theater and several times on TV. To put it mildly, Son Of Paleface looks far better on Kino Lorber's new Blu-ray disc than I've ever previously seen. This is a superb disc, and for those in Europe and Asia, it's Zone free too!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched The Big Knife on Blu-ray from Amazon UK. Also, viewed the first two episodes of Daredevil Season One. One episode of Jessica Jones and the first episode of The Defenders. Going forward, I'll finish Daredevil Season One then finish off Jessica Jones followed by Daredevil's Second Season, Luke Cage, Iron Fist then the rest of The Defenders.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Today I attended a screening of Dragonfly Squadron (a film that I have on disc) hosted by HTF's own Bob Furmanek. It was great to see it on a big screen and with an audience! Nearly full too!

Tonight I'll be rewatching some of the prior weeks episodes of Twin Peaks and will watch the finale much later tonight.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Another unique double feature for me yesterday:

012-elmer-gentry-theredlist.jpg

C_eQtUDUAAEy7OF.jpg

It was my first time ever seeing either one of these films.

The Great Wall was okay. The soundtrack was absolutely kickass and the fx and story concept was fun. Peg was working on a project in another part of our house while I was watching and said to me later, "uh...your movie sure is loud!" :D

Burt Lancaster, jean Simmons and Shirley Jones were all phenomenal in Elmer Gantry. Dean Jagger, too. Wow. So much to like in this film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another unique double feature for me yesterday:

012-elmer-gentry-theredlist.jpg

C_eQtUDUAAEy7OF.jpg

It was my first time ever seeing either one of these films.

The Great Wall was okay. The soundtrack was absolutely kickass and the fx and story concept was fun. Peg was working on a project in another part of our house while I was watching and said to me later, "uh...your movie sure is loud!" :D

Burt Lancaster, jean Simmons and Shirley Jones were all phenomenal in Elmer Gantry. Dean Jagger, too. Wow. So much to like in this film.
I remember watching this film on TV back when I was really young in the 1960s. I might have been 12 or even a year or two younger. Anyhow, Lancaster's performance overwhelm me. He was simply brilliant in this role and his Oscar was well deserved. His last line of dialogue in which he quoted scripture has always stayed with me over the years. At times, I think of that line whenever I have to make a decision that might not be in my best interest. Elmer Gantry was another of those core films that inspire my love of film.

As to The Great Wall, I agree with you there. The film was okay, but it's entertaining, much better than I was led to believe by reading previously written reviews of it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As to The Great Wall, I agree with you there. The film was okay, but it's entertaining, much better than I was led to believe by reading previously written reviews of it.

I think one of the miscues was the humor between Damon and his sidekick. I liked it...but it felt like it kinda didn't fit the overall feel of the film. For another, the buddy was never really well fleshed out. The visuals and audio were really impressive. Like Damon's character noted in the movie, "you ever seen an army like that?!" :laugh:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I was planning to watch the new Blu-ray disc of The Road To Bali. I suddenly went into a stream of thought that brought me via Robert Mitchum to Farewell, My Lovely, a film I've always liked. I decided to watch that instead. (The main purpose of collecting films on disc is to be able to watch what you want whenever you want!) Although I know the film really well, perhaps too well, I still enjoyed it enormously. I have the splendid Warner Archive disc of the Dick Powell original version. I wonder if the remake will ever come out on Blu-ray disc.

I'll probably watch The Road To Bali today.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I did watch The Road To Bali tonight. Kino's disc is excellent and presents this film better than I've ever seen it before.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
IMG_8405.JPG
The Spell (Scream Factory BLU) just released today classic Made for TV Movie written by Brian Taggert. This one many say is a Carrie rip off... 13 min bonus interview on disc offers facts to the contrary.

Also included is a commentary track from Amanda Reyes who has a blog and awesome TV Movie podcast Made For Tv Movie Mayhem, also editor / writer of Are You In The House Alone? TV Movie Compendium book that is a treasure trove of TV Movie writings and reviews.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Being a life ling fan of Mr Schwarzenegger we watched Last Action Hero enjoying the movie once again. Nice to see those old 35mm projectors once again.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I had a sudden urge to rewatch Slightly Dangerous which I have on a Warner Archive DVD-R. I like Lana Turner a lot and I think she's really good in this film. Slightly Dangerous has many of my favorite character actors including Walter Brennan, Ward Bond and Eugene Pallette. Warner's MOD has good picture quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks