What's new

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Wow, that's a weird - and inconvenient - way for them to store the discs. My WWW sets are single seasons, bought more or less as they came out. Does the Complete Series set have the two reunion TV movies? If so, that would be one nice benefit of the complete set.
Nope-- my copy of the WWW condensed all-in-one was gotten at the top of this month from the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville as part of my shopping for this month (grocery and otherwise), and it was on a display marketed w/the "Binge-Worthy TV" appelation (as were those of Vega$ and The Brady Bunch [each one of those packaged the same way as the WWW release]).
I, too, purchased the series as it came out and then wrote a negative review of the original Complete Series WWW release in the "Boot/sleeve" package. Partly due to the horrible packaging but as much as anything for the simple fact they had not released the two telefilms outside that package meaning those loyal fans who'd purchased the single season sets were left in the cold unless we wanted an expensive, and poorly packaged, double-dip just for those two movies. Then they go and leave them out when they repackage the series in better packaging (I actually like those Megapak storage containers - even if the discs overlap).

BUT - they finally released them in a stand-alone two movie package:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071D8R82...ails?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1518020735&sr=1-2

I purchased a copy last May and am very happy with it. The quality is good, even with both films on a single disc.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
There must be something wrong with me. I don't have ANYTHING I haven't watched. I guess I didn't spend much time in front of the set back in the day, because aside from my "usual suspects" (St. Elsewhere, Slattery's People, The Great Adventure and maybe another one or two, though I can't think of anything right now) I have everything I really want.
Yes, there's something wrong with you... ;)

I currently have over 380 *seasons* of completed shows awaiting my attention. That doesn't include those for series I'm collecting but don't yet own all available seasons - that's another 170 or so "seasons" owned on those (thankfully - far less than 170 seasons left to complete them!). Of course, number of episodes per season is all over the place from British series having only 4-6 episodes per "series" (aka season) to 34+ episode seasons of early US TV shows. The majority are in the 22-30 episode per season range.

And it's not just stuff I used to watch. There are many series I own for which which I never saw an episode before purchasing it on DVD/BR. Most of that is stuff I knew of and wanted to see but it came on opposite of the show I absolutely wanted to watch. Or it was shows that aired after my bed time, or before I was old enough to even know about them. Those are mostly 50s/60s/70s TV from the days before VCRs when if you missed it you might never see it again. I even own newer (post 2000) series, but they are few and grow fewer as you move forward in years.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Great thread indeed. Seems to me some of you should consider becoming after market sales outlets. I would likely be a customer. :)

I personally rarely ever "plan" to buy anything. I'm just out somewhere [or on the Amazon site] and see something I simply must have.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Of course, number of episodes per season is all over the place from British series having only 4-6 episodes per "series" (aka season) to 34+ episode seasons of early US TV shows.

The highest number of episodes I've ever had in a season was 40, from the second season's worth of M Squad within the Timeless all-in-one of that 1957-60 NBC detective/police series w/the late Lee Marvin as Lt. Frank Ballinger.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The highest number of episodes I've ever had in a season was 40, from the second season's worth of M Squad within the Timeless all-in-one of that 1957-60 NBC detective/police series w/the late Lee Marvin as Lt. Frank Ballinger.
A quick look shows mine to be "Batman" with the most at *60* episodes in S2. Then it's "The Rifleman" with 40 in S1, followed by a tie, at 39 episodes, of "The Naked City" S1, "Have Gun - Will Travel" - S1/S2/S3, "Zorro" - S1/S2, "Gunsmoke" - S1/S2/S3/S4/S5, "Perry Mason" - S1, "The Honeymooners" - S1, "Leave it to Beaver" - all *6* seasons, "The Donna Reed Show" - S4, "Dobie Gillis" - S1, and "The Real McCoys" - S1/S2 (+S3/S4/S6 but I don't own those). "Dennis the Menace" had 38 episodes for S2-4, as did "Peter Gunn" - S1-3, "The Adventures of Jim Bowie" - S1/S2, and many others in my collection.

I'm sure there are lots more. That's just what I looked up.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I currently have over 380 *seasons*...
That just sunk in... If I only watch a season a week, which is fairly normal for me, it'll take over 7 years to watch just those. With the rest added in it'll be something like 10 years! Of course, many seasons are 24 episodes or less, which can significantly speed things up, but still... that's a lot of stuff to watch!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
A quick look shows mine to be "Batman" with the most at *60* episodes in S2.

Actually, come to think of it, that is the highest number of episodes I've had-- I forgot about that one (and also of course that 60s ABC West/Ward Batman was in cliffhangers for its first two seasons' worth [Wed. first half, Thurs. second half, outside of a couple of three-parters]).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Actually, come to think of it, that is the highest number of episodes I've had-- I forgot about that one (and also of course that 60s ABC West/Ward Batman was in cliffhangers for its first two seasons' worth [Wed. first half, Thurs. second half, outside of a couple of three-parters]).
IIRC all of those three-parters were in S3.

The one of those I listed that amazes me most is Perry Mason. Of those I listed, it's the only *hour* length show, The Naked City was half-hour for S1, and it had 38 episodes that first season! Using those Batman S2 episodes, which were basically hour episodes split into two nights, as a guide, that would be the equivalent of 76 half-hour episodes!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
IIRC all of those three-parters were in S3.

The one of those I listed that amazes me most is Perry Mason. Of those I listed, it's the only *hour* length show, The Naked City was half-hour for S1, and it had 38 episodes that first season! Using those Batman S2 episodes, which were basically hour episodes split into two nights, as a guide, that would be the equivalent of 76 half-hour episodes!

Lotta lotta episodes then in a season (and practically no breaks-- none of this bull gipp of reruns in the middle of the season as is done today; the season ran straight through, and there were only reruns between seasons, IIRC)!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Lotta lotta episodes then in a season (and practically no breaks-- none of this bull gipp of reruns in the middle of the season as is done today; the season ran straight through, and there were only reruns between seasons, IIRC)!
Yep. In the 60s you rarely saw a rerun outside summer months, mainly because until late in the decade most shows ran 30-36 episodes. That left those 16-22 "empty" weeks for "summer reruns." Even then, many shows just went on hiatus, usually with a variety show running in its place. I know it kept us kids outside in the summer. There wasn't much on for us to care about so we just stayed outside and played. And it never failed that the episode(s) I'd missed during the fall/winter/spring airings were never rerun during the summer. I'd missed quite a few episodes of Star Trek when it moved to Friday nights as I was in the band and we had to play at the football games (I'd have much rather been at home to watch Trek...).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
And it never failed that the episode(s) I'd missed during the fall/winter/spring airings were never rerun during the summer.

Now, you can see any episode any time of a lot of series, no matter what kind (comedy, drama, you name it)!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yep. In the 60s you rarely saw a rerun outside summer months, mainly because until late in the decade most shows ran 30-36 episodes. That left those 16-22 "empty" weeks for "summer reruns." Even then, many shows just went on hiatus, usually with a variety show running in its place. I know it kept us kids outside in the summer. There wasn't much on for us to care about so we just stayed outside and played. And it never failed that the episode(s) I'd missed during the fall/winter/spring airings were never rerun during the summer. I'd missed quite a few episodes of Star Trek when it moved to Friday nights as I was in the band and we had to play at the football games (I'd have much rather been at home to watch Trek...).

I found it fascinating to read that Star Trek associate/co-producer Robert Justman was the man responsible for deciding which episodes would be repeated - I had always assumed that the network selected the episodes (and perhaps they do today).

In interviews, I recall Justman explaining that they would generally only have in-season reruns if they were going to miss their airdate due to a post-production delay, which did happen a handful of times. The network and sponsors were not happy about this, so they had to keep the practice to a minimum. A couple times, they got lucky and were pre-empted by specials programming by the network, holiday shows, news broadcasts, etc., which just so happened to come at a moment when they desperately needed more time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks