1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What are your Home Video plans for 2018?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Regulus, Dec 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I, too, purchased the series as it came out and then wrote a negative review of the original Complete Series WWW release in the "Boot/sleeve" package. Partly due to the horrible packaging but as much as anything for the simple fact they had not released the two telefilms outside that package meaning those loyal fans who'd purchased the single season sets were left in the cold unless we wanted an expensive, and poorly packaged, double-dip just for those two movies. Then they go and leave them out when they repackage the series in better packaging (I actually like those Megapak storage containers - even if the discs overlap).

BUT - they finally released them in a stand-alone two movie package:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071D8R82X/sr=1-2/qid=1518020735/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1518020735&sr=1-2

I purchased a copy last May and am very happy with it. The quality is good, even with both films on a single disc.

Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and bmasters9 like this.
  2. 62 Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Yes, there's something wrong with you... ;)

I currently have over 380 *seasons* of completed shows awaiting my attention. That doesn't include those for series I'm collecting but don't yet own all available seasons - that's another 170 or so "seasons" owned on those (thankfully - far less than 170 seasons left to complete them!). Of course, number of episodes per season is all over the place from British series having only 4-6 episodes per "series" (aka season) to 34+ episode seasons of early US TV shows. The majority are in the 22-30 episode per season range.

And it's not just stuff I used to watch. There are many series I own for which which I never saw an episode before purchasing it on DVD/BR. Most of that is stuff I knew of and wanted to see but it came on opposite of the show I absolutely wanted to watch. Or it was shows that aired after my bed time, or before I was old enough to even know about them. Those are mostly 50s/60s/70s TV from the days before VCRs when if you missed it you might never see it again. I even own newer (post 2000) series, but they are few and grow fewer as you move forward in years.

Regulus, Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and 2 others like this.
  3. John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    Great thread indeed. Seems to me some of you should consider becoming after market sales outlets. I would likely be a customer. :)

I personally rarely ever "plan" to buy anything. I'm just out somewhere [or on the Amazon site] and see something I simply must have.

4. bmasters9

bmasters9 Screenwriter

Ben Masters
    The highest number of episodes I've ever had in a season was 40, from the second season's worth of M Squad within the Timeless all-in-one of that 1957-60 NBC detective/police series w/the late Lee Marvin as Lt. Frank Ballinger.

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and Darby67 like this.
  5. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    A quick look shows mine to be "Batman" with the most at *60* episodes in S2. Then it's "The Rifleman" with 40 in S1, followed by a tie, at 39 episodes, of "The Naked City" S1, "Have Gun - Will Travel" - S1/S2/S3, "Zorro" - S1/S2, "Gunsmoke" - S1/S2/S3/S4/S5, "Perry Mason" - S1, "The Honeymooners" - S1, "Leave it to Beaver" - all *6* seasons, "The Donna Reed Show" - S4, "Dobie Gillis" - S1, and "The Real McCoys" - S1/S2 (+S3/S4/S6 but I don't own those). "Dennis the Menace" had 38 episodes for S2-4, as did "Peter Gunn" - S1-3, "The Adventures of Jim Bowie" - S1/S2, and many others in my collection.

I'm sure there are lots more. That's just what I looked up.

6. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    That just sunk in... If I only watch a season a week, which is fairly normal for me, it'll take over 7 years to watch just those. With the rest added in it'll be something like 10 years! Of course, many seasons are 24 episodes or less, which can significantly speed things up, but still... that's a lot of stuff to watch!

Ron1973, Jeff Flugel and Darby67 like this.
  7. bmasters9

bmasters9 Screenwriter

Ben Masters
    Actually, come to think of it, that is the highest number of episodes I've had-- I forgot about that one (and also of course that 60s ABC West/Ward Batman was in cliffhangers for its first two seasons' worth [Wed. first half, Thurs. second half, outside of a couple of three-parters]).

Jeff Flugel and Darby67 like this.
  8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    IIRC all of those three-parters were in S3.

The one of those I listed that amazes me most is Perry Mason. Of those I listed, it's the only *hour* length show, The Naked City was half-hour for S1, and it had 38 episodes that first season! Using those Batman S2 episodes, which were basically hour episodes split into two nights, as a guide, that would be the equivalent of 76 half-hour episodes!

9. bmasters9

bmasters9 Screenwriter

Ben Masters
    Lotta lotta episodes then in a season (and practically no breaks-- none of this bull gipp of reruns in the middle of the season as is done today; the season ran straight through, and there were only reruns between seasons, IIRC)!

Flashgear, Josh Steinberg and Darby67 like this.
  10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Yep. In the 60s you rarely saw a rerun outside summer months, mainly because until late in the decade most shows ran 30-36 episodes. That left those 16-22 "empty" weeks for "summer reruns." Even then, many shows just went on hiatus, usually with a variety show running in its place. I know it kept us kids outside in the summer. There wasn't much on for us to care about so we just stayed outside and played. And it never failed that the episode(s) I'd missed during the fall/winter/spring airings were never rerun during the summer. I'd missed quite a few episodes of Star Trek when it moved to Friday nights as I was in the band and we had to play at the football games (I'd have much rather been at home to watch Trek...).

11. bmasters9

bmasters9 Screenwriter

Ben Masters
    Now, you can see any episode any time of a lot of series, no matter what kind (comedy, drama, you name it)!

Darby67 likes this.
  12. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I found it fascinating to read that Star Trek associate/co-producer Robert Justman was the man responsible for deciding which episodes would be repeated - I had always assumed that the network selected the episodes (and perhaps they do today).

In interviews, I recall Justman explaining that they would generally only have in-season reruns if they were going to miss their airdate due to a post-production delay, which did happen a handful of times. The network and sponsors were not happy about this, so they had to keep the practice to a minimum. A couple times, they got lucky and were pre-empted by specials programming by the network, holiday shows, news broadcasts, etc., which just so happened to come at a moment when they desperately needed more time.

bmasters9, Flashgear, Darby67 and 2 others like this.
  13. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Working my through transferring over the couple of thousand or so tapes I picked up last year when a good collector friend of mine passed away. Lots of film chain material in there of shows that will never come out.