1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What are your Home Video plans for 2018?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Regulus, Dec 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Message #1 of 73 Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    2017 is drawing to a close. Although I didn't get as many DVD sets this year (I've acquired nearly every set I want) so there isn't much out there than what I already have. I achieved a milestone earlier this year when the number of TV series on DVD I've collected passed the :banana: 1,000 mark. :rock: For 2018 I anticipate collecting my 100th Movie Serial. There will probably be some more "Grails" released as well. What are your plans for the upcoming year? :cheers:

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  2. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

In purchasing DVD's? That depends on what the studios put out. Right now, I'm planning on Scooby Doo meets the Brave and the Bold, Gotham by Gaslight, The Flash Lego film, the Dogfather, and I don't know much besides that. It would help if some of the companies could put out more of the upcoming releases like they used too. Other than that, I hope to catch up on my "unwatched" but owned DVDs.

James

Flashgear and Regulus like this.
  3. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    I want to buy all the Christmas blockbusters in 3D Blu ray from Thor Ragnarok, to Star Wars. My number one purchase however will be “The King of Jazz”

4. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Finishing Hart to Hart on DVD and acquiring Quincy, M.E. on DVD as well-I really wish those would get the blu treatment. Ole Quince looked good streaming on Netflix in HD, so we know the masters are there. That detective that charges $200 a day plus expenses, he's my first priority on blu.

bmasters9, Flashgear and Regulus like this.
  5. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    TV-on-DVD-wise, I don't have all that much left to get that excites me, at present, barring any surprise releases. I bought a fair amount for myself just ahead of Christmas, including some recently-released grail shows (The Immortal, Longstreet). Here's what remains for me in 2018:

Kino Lorber's upcoming, separate Blu-ray releases of The Outer Limits, Seasons 1 and 2, are must-buy upgrades for me.

I'm reading the responses to my recent "Public Domain Dragnet/One Step Beyond/Jack Benny" thread here, and will take that and carefully decide what course I want to take in getting any of those.

I'm looking at picking up Mr. Novak: Season 1, when Warner Archives releases it, sometime in early 2018.

I'm still waiting to see if The Rifleman: Season 4 Vol. 2 gets a release (I have S4 V1); if not, I'll pick up the complete Season 4 set and Season 5, direct.

I'm also waiting for when Discotek's Lupin the Third (Series 2) releases catch up to where the old Funimation discs left off, then I'll buy.

Gunsmoke: Season 12: Vols. 1 & 2 are likely purchases.

I'll probably get the complete 1957-66 Perry Mason set, but I'm waiting for a good sale price on it again (it dipped down to about $105 when I had it on my Christmas list, but I wasn't gifted with it, and now it's back to $149).

Another probable is an import set of the complete one-season run of The Champions, since I'm still stuck with my old Region 1 half-season set from A&E.

I'll probably pick up The Magician: Complete Series set, sooner or later.

Underdog: Complete Series is always a possibility, but isn't a high priority.

Believe it or not, I've actually been watching The Andy Griffith Show (Season 1) for the first time, via streaming; sure, re-runs have been on in the house since my early-1970s childhood, but they were on in the background, and I didn't pay much attention to specific episodes, until now. If I continue to like what I see, I'll probably pick up the first 5 seasons, down the line.

For newer series, The Americans: Season 5 is a given, as is Outlander: Season 3 (whenever it's released in 2018) and Ash Vs Evil Dead: Season 2. I'm caught up with Fargo, Game of Thrones and Better Call Saul (I have Season 3 on pre-order). I'll eventually pick up Red Dwarf XI, too. I'm also waiting for the best sale price I can get for The Wire: Complete Series. I like the Netflix Marvel series (Daredevil, particularly), but getting them on Blu can wait, unless a really good sale pops up. Ditto Ray Donovan.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  6. Message #6 of 73 Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    Right now I have purchased everything I have hoped to buy and I don't yet know of anything scheduled for 2018 that I will want, so I anticipate my quietest year ever in terms of purchasing classic tv on dvd.

So my alternative plan for 2018 is to buy all 15 seasons of 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside Six, Bourbon Street Beat and The Roaring 20's. Mind you, I'm talking fully restored, unedited, with every drop of music intact. Could someone please pass the word along to WB so that I will actually be able to execute that plan?

Failing that, I wish you all a great New Year, regardless of which goodies you get.

7. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin
    Do you mean the 1930 film? I got to see a restored version of it at the AMPAS theatre in the summer of 2016. It was one of my favorite moviegoing experiences of the year.

Cheers!

Flashgear likes this.
  8. MartinP.

MartinP. Second Unit

Martin
    My plan is to watch all of the things I bought recently!

John Dirk likes this.
  9. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    Yes. So far I have only seen the crappy copy.

10. John*Wells

John*Wells Second Unit

John
    I hope Warner announces the release of More Perfect Strangers ..Nothing big for me other than that

11. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    How about buying a brand new 3D TV!

Peter M Fitzgerald likes this.
  12. Silverking

Silverking Stunt Coordinator

Chris Street
    I've waited long enough for Warner Archive to release these and as it is not going to happen I shall actually watch my alternative versions which mostly came from Goodlife channel. Anyone know if these were cut ?

Gary OS, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  13. Albert71292

Albert71292 Stunt Coordinator

Albert Sims
    I've already got my pre-order in for the Blu-ray. My old VHS is wearin' thin. :)

14. TJPC

TJPC Cinematographer

Terry Carroll
    My DVD copy is a copy of my VHS tape that was a copy of my Beta. Just imagine the quality!

Ron1973 and Flashgear like this.
  15. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    My 2018 Holy Grail List:

Jeannie (1973 Animated): Mark Hamill's recent rise in visibility (Star Wars, The Last Jedi) might complicate any possible release of Jeannie as getting his OK, if required would prove expensive. But that might cut both ways as Sony/Columbia could see a marketing opportunity to release this as a early work of Mark's if he approved. I'd say why not but I'm betting other issues at Columbia are holding Jeannie up.

Partridge Family 2200 AD (1973, Animated): Another HB toon now owned by Sony/Columbia Pictures Industries and another one in some sort of Columbia limbo.

Captain Nice (1967).

Mr. Terrific (1967).

Quark (1978): Available on DVD but would love a remastered Blu.

Ruff And Reddy (1950s, Complete series).

Darby67, JamesSmith and Flashgear like this.
  16. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    My plans are simple. After taking stock of my unopened product, which will take years to watch, I plan to watch more than I purchase. That should be fairly easy as I own most of what I truly want to own, both TV and movies, having only a half dozen or so series I absolutely want to complete and only 3 or 4 "Grail" series I'd purchase day one.

17. Message #17 of 73 Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    I've been doing something similar ^ over the past several years, as a "New Year's Resolution".

Unfortunately it has largely been repeated failures for me. For example, recently I picked up the Star Trek Beyond bluray when I've been repeatedly saying to myself that I would not buy it.

Flashgear likes this.
  18. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I would also like The Waltons on Blu Ray. Sadly I think most every classic show available in HD streaming will remain in that form only.
    One only has to look at popular classics like Little House on the Prairie(which was a miracle it was finished on Blu) The Andy Griffith show, and I Love Lucy(both stalled and like LHOTP cheaper to buy than the DVD versions).

Only hope would be boutique labels like Mill Creek, or Olive. Other than that I think no way we see any more classics....unless it is a sci-fi series which seems to be an exception.

Flashgear likes this.
  19. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I've found that sometimes what it takes is an obsessional shift!

For me, this has recently taken the form of channeling any spare funds towards relocating to another part of the province where the winters are a bit shorter and less cold, and hopefully break our string of horrible next door neighbors! We've found in our experience that it doesn't always pay to wait for good neighbors to move in next door to replace the crappy ones (Our latest bad luck string is approaching 10 years, with three consecutive duds!); sometimes you have the be the proactive one. In any case, after living in the same place for almost 25 years, I think it's time to shake things up a bit on our end.

This also means avoiding unnecessary accumulation of stuff that we're going to have to move when the time comes. On that end, we kept the gift exchanges light this time around. One survival item the Mrs and I exchanged were noise cancelling headphones, not the kind that cost $$$, but $$, as we just basically need to cover our ears when the surrounding noise disturbances get to be too much. I've also recently found the 10 hour Celestial White Noise clip on YouTube to be quite helpful, although I try to only use it when absolutely necessary.

So, for at least most of 2018, I expect any video purchases to be pretty much nil. After our eventual relocation, it'll be time to reevaluate our monthly budget based on our new situation.

Happy New Year, Everyone! May 2018 be a great one, all around! :)

CHEERS! :)

20. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Watched an episode of The Curse Of Oak Island and an episode of Designated Survivor and nothing else planned! It is not worth gong out and it is to much of a hassle now a days. It is just another day so I am thinking of just going to bed at the regular time and when I get up tomorrow ether watch a bowl game or the rose parade. Will make that decision tomorrow. I hope everyone at home theater forum has a safe and happy new year! I hope you enjoy your time with family and friends and may you have a great 2018!

Tony Bensley, Flashgear and bmasters9 like this.