1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What are your Home Video plans for 2018?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Regulus, Dec 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Second Unit

Jeff Flugel
    As far as my TV on DVD or Blu-Ray plans for 2018...well, as several others have already stated, I'm mostly planning to watch more of all the shows I've purchased over the years. I have a LOT of goodies to get through. I do still have several series I'd like to pick up, money permitting, including:

THE DEFENDERS, season 1

Some of the recent releases from VEI, such as THE IMMORTAL, THE MAGICIAN, LONGSTREET,
    MATT HOUSTON, etc.

Plus MAN WITH A CAMERA, DECOY...a few 80s nostalgia choices, like RIPTIDE and perhaps THE FALL GUY. And I've got my eye on further seasons of MANNIX, HAWAII FIVE-O, etc., plus more Warner Archive series if I can find them on sale (CHEYENNE, BRONCO, LAWMAN and SUGARFOOT, etc., all of which I only have the first seasons of).

These are wants, not needs, of course. There are also tons of series I still hope to import from the U.K., and I'll continue to slowly chip away at that list over the next several years.

Mostly, though, I'm trying to limit most of my purchases to pre-80s catalog movies on Blu-Ray, but there are some definite TV on Blu-Ray buys on my wishlist, including CORONET BLUE, the two sets of THE OUTER LIMITS coming soon from Kino, and of course, more ITC adventure series sets from Network in the U.K. (hoping for a remastered THE BARON after MAN IN A SUITCASE is completed).

In other words, my collecting days are far from over... :)

2. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Amazon UK shows those Network BR releases to be region B/2. Are you sure they're region free? They have the full Space 1999 series in a new release (October 2017) for £44.99 - a bargain!

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  3. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Second Unit

Jeff Flugel
    I should have been more clear, Bob...it's the recent Network releases (RANDALL & HOPKIRK, DEPARTMENT S, CAPTAIN SCARLET & THE MYSTERONS and MAN IN A SUITCASE) which are region free (Region A, B and C coded). To the best of my knowledge, the previous sets (including SPACE:1999) are not. Sorry for any confusion, I will amend my earlier post to clarify.

Darby67, BobO'Link and Flashgear like this.
  4. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Thanks! I may still bite as that's an all-time favorite series and I do have a region free player. However, it's a bit annoying as you must set an alternate region every time for non-A BR discs while it's a done-in-one setting for DVDs.

Darby67 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Great idea for a thread! Can't believe I'm only noticing it now.

I want to continue working through my backlog of blind buys (I started a dedicated thread last year to keep track of them). Last year, I bought too many "new" titles (new to me even if not new films or shows) rather than watching my unwatched stuff and this year I want to be a lot better about that.

I have just started on MPI's 15 disc set of "Lost Episodes" of the Honeymooners that I've had sitting around for a while. WPIX in NY always shows a marathon of the "classic 39" on NYE and it inspired me to finally watch these DVDs. I had low expectations going in but, after a mere two discs, I'm blown away by the quality of the writing and performances. I both can't wait and dread finishing this set.

Robert13, Darby67, BobO'Link and 2 others like this.
  6. DaveHof3

DaveHof3 Stunt Coordinator

David Hofstede
    This year I am looking forward to completing 'Lou Grant' when the final season comes out, and buying the individual season sets of 'Laugh-In,' as I've greatly enjoyed getting reacquainted with that series.

I will continue to hope against hope for good news about 'Family' and 'Ozzie & Harriet.'

Beyond that, the one certainty I know going into this year is that I will rely on my extensive library of 1950s-1970s TV show DVDs, as an antidote to the divisiveness of the news and social media. I can't afford an island in the sun away from current events, so these temporary escapes will have to do.

7. Message #47 of 73 Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    Believe me, this is all you need to get away from all the drivel. The news only seems to get worse and worse with every passing day, :thumbsdown: nothing but "If it bleeds it leads" :eek: and politics :angry:. How can people stand to watch it? I get a passing glance at the news each morning, choosing only what I want to read, then move on to sites such as this one where I get the REAL news (My favorite news is finding out a "Grail" or "Bucket List" show is getting released on home video!). :D :banana::dancing-banana-04::dance::rock::drum:

Darby67, Flashgear, DaveHof3 and 2 others like this.
  8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  9. Robert13

Robert13 Supporting Actor

Robert
    Josh, I watched that entire set last fall and agree with you about the quality. I made it through the Pert Kelton skits as fast as I could because, to me, she just isn't "Alice". I thought it was really cool to see Stand-In For Murder's original skit from 1954 (which was cut-off due to time constraints) and then the complete performance of the sketch from 1955. The later musical skits were also more fun than I thought they would be. Looks like they had fun making them too.

10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    You and me both! I'm on The Wild Wild West now (second disc of first season's worth [B/W], and so far, it's looking pretty entertaining).

11. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Second Unit

Jeff Flugel
    Oh, you're in for a great time with THE WILD WILD WEST. Love that show...I used to watch it every afternoon in syndication growing up in the 70s. I was very pleased that it held up when watched years later as an adult. If you like the black and white season one, just wait till you get to season two (in almost too bold color)! The series really kicks it up a notch then, and the friendship and teamwork between Robert Conrad's Jim West and Ross Martin's Artemus Gordon becomes much more central.

I'm working my way through MANNIX and the original HAWAII FIVE-0 for the first time, and enjoying both of those shows a lot.

12. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Second Unit

Jeff Flugel
    Lots of great deals on Amazon UK's site (I know you're a fan of Britcoms...many ridiculously cheap complete series DVD sets of British comedies and dramas are available there).

Hope you enjoy the SPACE: 1999 Blu-Ray set, Howie! While not a huge fan of that particular ITC series myself, I have seen some of the episodes on that set projected at a friend's house and they looked spectacular in hi-def.

Darby67 likes this.
  13. bmasters9

Ben Masters
    Thanks for the response on that WWW-- I'm seeing it from CBS' condensed all-in-one (the version with the discs layered on top of each other), and I've had to take the rest of the first-season discs out and put them temporarily in sleeves (being that the discs in the layered configuration are near impossible to take out without fighting with 'em).

Jeff Flugel, Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  14. tlc38tlc38

tlc38tlc38 Stunt Coordinator

Trent
    It's pretty quiet on the DVD front right now for me...

In 2018 (as of now), I plan on buying:

One Day at a Time: complete series---ordered this yesterday!

Diff'rent Strokes: season 7

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood: episode set

Alice: seasons 7, 8, 9 (if released)

Perfect Strangers: season 3 (if released)

The Carol Burnett Show: The Lost Episodes & 50th Ann. Sets

Days of our Lives: 2006-2009 (complete years...from a trader)---I already own 1995-2005

15. Message #55 of 73 Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Second Unit

Jeff Flugel
    Wow, that's a weird - and inconvenient - way for them to store the discs. My WWW sets are single seasons, bought more or less as they came out. Does the Complete Series set have the two reunion TV movies? If so, that would be one nice benefit of the complete set.

It's funny, all this talk about WWW made me dip into the series (which I've pretty much watched from start to finish on DVD once already). Just watched 4.21 "Night of the Bleak Island," a fun, atmospheric riff on THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES, and will likely spin a few more before I call it a night.

Darby67, bmasters9 and Flashgear like this.
  16. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Barring any major out-of-the-blue announcements, my plans involve watching what I already own. Those box sets don't watch themselves, and my time is divided between work, volunteering, hobbies including but not limited to this one (contrary to popular belief I do have a life outside the Internet), so it takes time to finish them. And while everyone else is binge watching, I've rediscovered the virtues of watching shows one episode at a time and switching between formats, enabling me to watch Maude on DVD and The Golden Girls on Hulu.

17. bmasters9

Ben Masters
    Nope-- my copy of the WWW condensed all-in-one was gotten at the top of this month from the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville as part of my shopping for this month (grocery and otherwise), and it was on a display marketed w/the "Binge-Worthy TV" appelation (as were those of Vega$ and The Brady Bunch [each one of those packaged the same way as the WWW release]).

Flashgear, Darby67 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  18. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    With money tight and the selection of material I'd fine appealing (mostly b&w shows) all but dead, I just plan on watching what I have. I'd certainly pick up any surprise releases that hit the sweet spot, but I'm not counting on many of those at this point in the game. Would pick up any more 'Ozzie & Harriet' releases from Alpha as long as they have at least one episode on the disc that I don't already own. I think they are up to volume 25 or something, and the quality on their more recent releases has been good. But other than that, I'll just watch what I already own.

Gary "recently have been on a 'Leave it to Beaver' and 'Rawhide' re-watching binge" O.

19. bmasters9

Ben Masters
    I've had several of those select releases lately-- two being Westerns, and one a legal series, among others.

Jeff Flugel and Darby67 like this.
  20. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

There must be something wrong with me. I don't have ANYTHING I haven't watched. I guess I didn't spend much time in front of the set back in the day, because aside from my "usual suspects" (St. Elsewhere, Slattery's People, The Great Adventure and maybe another one or two, though I can't think of anything right now) I have everything I really want.