What's new

Will MGM and Warner Bros. collaborate on MGM's 100th anniversary? (1 Viewer)

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Any tribute to MGM that doesn't included Oz isn't complete.

TCM airs Oz oddly throughout the year, it isn't like it used to be on the 4th of July and then again closer to the holidays.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Hard to answer this question

My initial answer and hope is that yes, Warner will celebrate 100 years of MGM by releasing a handful of 4k titles.

However, if that were to be the case, I would think the first title would be announced already, and to date, it hasn't.

I don't see an issue with Warner putting a spotlight on MGM titles for its centenary. They own the titles. These are titles they would eventually restore and release at some point no matter what. MGM isn't even a full-fledged studio anymore (now acquired by Amazon) so it's not as if it's a competition thing.

On the downside, after seeing the poor output of 4k titles during Warner's 100th Anniversary last year, it's obvious that in a declining physical media market, the studio isn't looking to spend a lot of money restoring titles that may not be able to recoup their investment on.
Most certainly not (from an iTunes thumbnail):
400x400bb.jpg

I hate this bloody split up... *

* Library Breakdowns:
Pre-September-1981 [UA]
Post-August 1981-Pre-May 1986 [MGM-United Artists and MGM/UA Entertainment/Distribution Company (Select-titles)] After Transamerica sold UA to Kirk Kerkorian (Paritally owned by Kerkorian's UA and Turner's MGM of the ownership cake)
Post-April 1986-Pre-October 1996 (After Turner Entertainment bought MGM/UA from Kirk Kerkorian)
Post September 1996 (after Time Warner's buy-out of Turner Entertainment)-Present

When did MGM (Post-September 1996), today have a heart and understanding on their film library/problematic titles? (still waiting for a little team spirit [like Warner Bros. and Sony Pictures treat their libraries with care and respect] a green light from the studios [in terms of budget and required profit earned by previous home video release] while I continue to do a redux of my Home Video Breakdowns).

Have a good one, Ron.
David :)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
MGM+ formerly called EPIX streaming service is currently showing a few MGM films owned by Warner Bros. like Ben Hur. Their Celebrate 100 years of MGM section is almost all films originally released by UA such as the Great Escape, Midnight Cowboy, and The Apartment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks