What's new

Pre-Order National Lampoon's Vacation (1983) (4k UHD Combo) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My review is now live:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
???

This is the first 4K UHD release of "Vacation".

It maybe the first 4K release, but it's a re-release still.

WB out all the companies around loves to re-release films with new cover art as it tricks us the customers into thinking that since it has a new cover that it will have new features as well.

They create new covers only to dupe us with the same release from before with nothing new added, they waste a nice new cover to repackage the same release from before.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

WB out all the companies around loves to re-release films with new cover art as it tricks us the customers into thinking that since it has a new cover that it will have new features as well.

They create new covers only to dupe us with the same release from before with nothing new added, they waste a nice new cover to repackage the same release from before.
:laugh: Warner trying to dupe us about new features, when most people don't even watch those features and just watch the movie.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I disagree. This is not the same release, since it's the first time Vacation has ever been available on 4K UHD. You're getting the film in 4K HDR, which is (supposedly) an upgrade over the previous Blu-ray. Now, if it was just another 1080p disc, that would be a different story.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
:laugh: Warner trying to dupe us about new features, when most people don't even watch those features and just watch the movie.

Why waste new art for nothing new

I disagree. This is not the same release, since it's the first time Vacation has ever been available on 4K UHD. You're getting the film in 4K HDR, which is (supposedly) an upgrade over the previous Blu-ray. Now, if it was just another 1080p disc, that would be a different story.

Once a film has been released on home video all further releases would be a re-release, as very rarely do re-releases add anything new to the original film. Picture quality might improve, but 95% time it's the same film every time though.

84lion

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alan McKown
Love the movie, but based on the above review, this 4K release is disappointing. I'm sure the 4K picture looks great, but is it really going to add that much? Then again, seeing Beverly D'Angelo in the shower scene in 4K (I'd add in Christie Brinkley, but as I recall her scenes in the pool were rather tame)... Problem is that, as the review points out, optical mattes and other stuff ("film grain" too, I'm sure) are going to look even more obvious and distracting. What is really disappointing to me is that the soundtrack wasn't upgraded from the mono. It's DTS-HD, yeah, but still mono. Even Star Trek Original Series got upgraded to a 5.1 Surround track. Some new extras would've been nice, too. Right now the 4K BR is around $25 on pre-order. I might get it if it came down to a Black Friday $9.99 sale price...otherwise, the BR version I have will do nicely.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Once a film has been released on home video all further releases would be a re-release, as very rarely do re-releases add anything new to the original film. Picture quality might improve, but 95% time it's the same film every time though.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on what constitutes a new home video release.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Ah! I see there is a Collector's Edition that uses the Boris Vallejo artwork...sweet!

Attachments

• wOmOJCZ.jpeg
    wOmOJCZ.jpeg
    800.4 KB · Views: 46

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Why not? It's not like it costs a bunch of money.

Again why waste whatever the budget is on a particular release with new art when you either don't add anything new or with these recent 4K releases dropping features all together.

The 30th anniversary of Vacation finally had a long over due making of documentary added, but this and the other recent 4K's have dropped everything but the commentaries.

Real Name
Christopher Russo
“I’m So Excited” was on some earlier VHS releases and has surfaced during some TV airings. Sadly it was not restored for this 4K release however apparently some streaming services have it with this song. Today I was checking the version on VUDU and the version I saw had both the OG Warner logo restored at the beginning and “I’m So Excited”.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Your statement strongly implied that this was just a reissue of an existing disc.

You implied the only "new feature" was a new cover.

Of course it's a re-release of the movie, but it's nonetheless a new disc that's never been available.

Did you complain when DVD "re-released" movies that'd been out on VHS?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
“I’m So Excited” was on some earlier VHS releases and has surfaced during some TV airings. Sadly it was not restored for this 4K release however apparently some streaming services have it with this song. Today I was checking the version on VUDU and the version I saw had both the OG Warner logo restored at the beginning and “I’m So Excited”.

Interestingly, the end credits of the 4K do mention "I'm So Excited".

Not sure if that's been present for all releases.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
You're absolutely correct!, I just compared all 4K streaming versions. While they all have the original WB logo, the song at the 25:50 mark is different between streamers. iTunes and Movies Anywhere have "Little Boy Sweet" but it is way lower in volume than the old video master and you can barely hear it over the roar of the car engines. However Vudu has "I'm So Excited" and at full volume so you can hear it. Truly bizarre!

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
What’s the time stamp in the movie with the song on Vudu?

It would be 25:42 the exact moment she appears in the red car and continues until she speeds off at 26:25

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks