1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What are your Home Video plans for 2018?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Regulus, Dec 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Happy New Year, Tony! I hate to hear that. My house is drafty, getting old, and can get quite annoying at times, but I'm in the middle of the country with absolutely no neighbors close by. The only noise I ever get might be from hunters hunting birds in the winter and crop dusters during the spring and summer. Old houses can be fixed-bad neighbors can't be!

Flashgear, bmasters9 and Tony Bensley like this.
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Screenwriter

Ben Masters
    One thing I planned to do that I already have done: installed my new Jeopardy! desk calendar for 2018 (and dispensed with the old Peanuts one of last year). Here's a picture of the newly installed calendar (sorry about the darkness; the flash would have made it look too bright):

002.JPG

Flashgear likes this.
  3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    So... when you get the right question, how do you get your winnings? ;)

bmasters9, Flashgear and Ron1973 like this.
  4. 24 Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    Happy New Year everyone. :cheers: This year I anticipate getting my 100th serial pack and the number of TV episodes to pass the 50,000 mark. :D

Flashgear likes this.
  5. bmasters9

bmasters9 Screenwriter

Ben Masters
    That's a good question! I think that if you get the right question, you jot down your winnings under the part that says "weekly winnings"-- I'm not quite sure though, as this is the first year that I've ever had a Jeopardy! calendar.

6. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Apart from the draftiness, your situation describes my wife's ultimate dream. Unfortunately, our respective realities trod all over that! As it stands, in our current situation, the newer landlord's hands off stance has added to our already high frustration levels. It seems like nobody wants to stick their neck out, anymore. Perhaps, somewhere along the line, our housing concern decided that in the long run, a hands off approach to inter tenant disputes costs them less $$$ then going through the hassle of stepping in and mediating said disputes?

One gentleman that we knew who does movie extra work, was having trouble with a female neighbor who kept petitioning the complex (She did come to our door at least once, that I recall!) over security cameras that, according to her, he had set up, supposedly to spy on her kids. In actuality, he had set them up because this same lady was engaging in theft and property damage (There were witnesses who confirmed this!), and thus, was protecting his property, which she would routinely trash! Housing's response to his (In my opinion!) justified complaints was that if he didn't like it, he could move, which he eventually did last spring after 15 years.

Anyway Ron, Happy New Year to you and your loved ones!

CHEERS! :)

7. morasp

morasp Stunt Coordinator

steve
    I've made some purchases that will arrive in 2018. Chose slow shipping from Amazon to receive digital credits.

Castle season 7
    Jake and the Fatman complete series
    Donna Reed Show season 2
    The Flash Season 3 Blu ray
    Royal Pains season 1

My wish list is so long I just buy what becomes affordable. Here as a shortlist of titles I don't have:

Scorpion 2,3
    Madam Secretary 2,3
    Mr. Ed
    My Favorite Martian
    Dragnet all
    Adam-12 all
    Emergency all
    Wonder Woman
    Coach
    Route 66
    Honeymooners
    Hazel seasons 3-5
    Doris Day show
    Dick Van Dyke show
    Mash 9, 10
    NCIS 11
    Hart to Hart
    Batman
    Ironside 3
    Family Affair
    Dobie Gillis
    Donna Reed show 4,5
    Addams Family
    Bob
    Rat Patrol
    Combat
    The Loner
    Decoy
    etc.

Viewing, I've accumulated enough titles to watch a drama and comedy each day and not repeat for 10 years and watch a Sunday night movie. Once they are done, after 10 years I just start over. Here is this week:

Monday
    Knight Rider 1:12 Plush Ride
    Laverne and Shirley 1:11 Fakeout at the Stakeout
    Tuesday
    Castle 1:7 Home is where the heart stops
    Happy Days 2:1 Richie Moves out
    Wednesday
    The Saint 5:5 The Helpful Pirate
    According to Jim 1:5 Unruly Spirits
    Thursday
    Perry Mason 1:5 The case of the sulky girl
    Get Smart 1:5 Now You See Him... Now You Don't
    Friday
    Star Trek Deep Space Nine 1:10 Move Along Home
    Cheers 1:17 Diane's Perfect Date
    Saturday
    Murder She Wrote 4:9 Trouble in Eden
    Hogan's Heroes 1:4 The Late Inspector General
    Sunday Night Movie
    Columbo Prescription Murder

Darby67, Frank Soyke and Flashgear like this.
  8. 28 Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

My new years resolution is not to buy anymore DVD sets (unless Sony miraculously decides to release The Farmer's Daughter series). I cut way back on my DVD purchases in 2017, and I hope to continue this trend going into 2018. My goal is to finish watching some DVD complete series sets I have had for years (Little House, Facts of Life, Fugitive, Route 66, Barnaby Jones, etc.), and to sell some other sets on ebay that I no longer care for because they have been cluttering up my bookshelf. After 10+ years of collecting TV series on DVD, storage space has become an issue. I hope to save $$$ in 2018, and be content with the DVDs I have.
    However, I will still continue to record any rare TV series off the various retro channels. :)

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    well i'm going to try to fill in some of the stuff i've been holding off getting, Just ordered Bronco seasons 1 and 3 got good deals on them and i want to finish with two and four after that. I just picked up VEI's Complete Cannon set, and it looks a lot like the reruns I used to watch on the local Stations back in the day so its a decent deal for the price, i want to pick up the Mod Squad and Barnaby Jones sets to follow.

Darby67, Regulus and Flashgear like this.
  10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa

Yeah quick's on my list too but i've been holding off i'm hoping Quincy and perhaps Kojak could get the complete series treatment at some point they are a bit pricey as is

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  11. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I think what will become an issue going forward is buying inferior DVD sets as the shows are playing on streaming services in glorious HD, ala Hawaii Five O, Quincy, Mission Impossible, Andy Griffith etc. I would buy these on iTunes etc for a reasonable price

12. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I want to slow down the dvds. I have something like 3000 episodes of unwatched stuff sitting around (hardly a record, if I read everyone else's posts correctly!). I try to watch at least 2 episodes of whatever, each day.

The majority of my classic tv shows that I wanted have long been on dvd. I would go for blu upgrades of a very few things (Bewitched comes to mind. Maybe Dynasty). Other than that, there are only very, very few older shows that I need or want. I'd buy that last season of Flying Nun if it ever comes out before the end of the world, and more Fantasy Island. There's a dozen or more short-lived shows like Cliffhangers that I'd get. And maybe the Ropers, a few other things. But I'm lucky in that most of my favorite long-run shows are already complete.

And then there's movies on both dvd and blu-ray. I have about 100 unwatched movies. I have also been lucky with classic films, in that the majority of my want list has been filled by Twilight Time, Warner Archives and a few other labels. There's still a lot of MGM films that I think will come out from the Archives in good time. TT will probably put out some of the Columbia and Fox titles that I want. Universal, Paramount, Disney...who knows.

The only other thing is that a few of my current series seemed to have either stalled or ended on dvd. I notice two Shonda Rimes shows: Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder disappeared. I theorize it's because Shondaland is more or less ending its relationship with ABC and so Disney doesn't want to be bothered. And a few other shows like The Royals season three. It's too soon to give up on those shows because they're still airing, but again, who knows. I'd buy them the second they come out, but...

13. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    It wasn't my ultimate dream at one point. I won't go into a lot of detail, but this is my childhood home. I wound up back here in what I felt disgrace with a now ex-wife and children in tow. My parents divorced, and I helped my mother pay off the house, much to the chagrin of the now ex. I wound up with ownership in 2011 and now the roles are reversed-my mother lives with me. She's not in the best of health, so I actually like it that way. The kids are grown and have went their own way. It needs tons of work, but yeah, I could retire out here and never give it a second thought.

14. 34 Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Still a lot of stuff that I want to buy and quite a wishlist of shows I hope eventually make it out, but these are what I'd like to do in 2018 based off what's actually available.

-Continue Green Acres by buying season 4 in 2018.
    -Continue buying Little House on Blu-Ray (I'm only two seasons in).
    -Buy the Twilight Zone complete series on Blu-Ray.
    -Buy the Rockford Files complete series on Blu-Ray.
    -Finish WKRP with season 3 (Already own season 4).
    -Continue Dennis the Menace with season 3.
    -Start buying Sea Hunt and Maverick on DVD.
    -Finish off The Flintstones (Still need seasons 4 & 5).

I have a lot in my backlog that was bought in 2017 that I'll be watching this year. I have the complete series sets for Cheers and Coach, season 2 of I Love Lucy on Blu-Ray, The Honeymooners on Blu-Ray, season 2 of Dennis the Menace, season 2 of Little House on the Prairie on Blu-Ray, season 2 of WKRP in Cincinnati, and volume 1 of Disney's TaleSpin (Already owned the rest).

Darby67, bmasters9 and Flashgear like this.
  15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Screenwriter

Ben Masters
    That's what I ought to do-- I have so much of a backlog it'll take more than forever to get through it!

Darby67 and Regulus like this.
  16. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Screenwriter

Frank
    My dad is in poor health right now and I’m taking care of him and having 3kids and two jobs preclude me from making too many big plans. Maybe a small vacation and I did get tickets to see a Creed Bratton concert later this month.
    With regard to the collection; picking up some of the new stuff like Peyton Place, continuing Alice, and Hopinf against hope for some prob nots like rest of Defenders,, Tightrope, Hawaiian Eye, Burke’s , more Hillbillies, and my all time grail Run For Your Life,
    Other wise just finishing some volume separate sets I still need seasons of like
    Barney Miller
    Family Affair
    Untouchables
    Cannon
    Voyage TO Bottom
    Lost In Space
    Dobie Gillis
    Maude

17. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    I bought this set when my local video store was closing in May 2017 and I talked the manager into giving me a 50% discount, so it came out, after tax, to about $104.00. I looked it up on Amazon afterwards and it was $86 then. Still, I'm glad I had it in my hands. I already had Season One. I've been watching the series methodically since then and I just started Season 4. It's one of the best shows I've ever watched.

The complete series box set is listed at $114.97 on Amazon right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Perry-Mason-Complete-Raymond-Burr/dp/B01B9HTC60/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1515072303&sr=1-3&keywords=perry+mason+complete+tv+series

18. bmasters9

bmasters9 Screenwriter

Ben Masters
    That's a great price on that Perry Mason all-in-one, and I think that Peter M Fitzgerald should get it at that price before it gets back up again.

19. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    3D titles from 3DFilmArchive

Re-release of This is Cinerama and Windjammer

More 3D titles when their price comes down to $9.99 (bought a large number of titles in December 2017 for $9.99!).

20. 40 Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Stunt Coordinator

Jeff Flugel
    Just an FYI, Peter...Network in the U.K. has been systematically releasing numerous ITC series remastered on Blu-Ray. Besides their earlier releases of THE PRISONER, THE PERSUADERS, U.F.O. and SPACE: 1999 (which are Region B locked), they've also recently released lesser-known series like RANDALL & HOPKIRK: DECEASED and DEPARTMENT S on region free Blu-Ray, and are currently in the midst of releasing CAPTAIN SCARLET and MAN IN A SUITCASE on a month-to-month basis (region free as well). It seems their policy going forward with these ITC series is to release them region free. Why they didn't start this policy earlier, I'm not sure. Perhaps they expect these less-famous shows to sell fewer copies, so are maximizing their chances by going all region.

They haven't got to THE CHAMPIONS yet, but I'd be very surprised if that series isn't in the cards for a remastered Blu release either later this year or sometime next. With their recent pattern, any release of THE CHAMPIONS would likely be region free...so if you can hold out a little longer, that would be the best way to go (at least, if you need the series in HD quality...I'm sure the DVD looks just fine.)

Flashgear and Peter M Fitzgerald like this.