What's new

Weekly Roundup 7/16 (1 Viewer)

SusanO

Agent
Dave thanks for including Borders in this week's round up - on these catalog intense weeks sometimes the only places with older titles are places like Borders and Barnes & Noble. At least the former is now trying to offer most of its titles at a coupla bucks off retail and putting some decent coupons out there - Barnes & Noble brick & mortars only give you a deal if you PAY to join their discount club and then give you a pittance off of full list price :frowning:
As for buying habits I buy a lot in the brick & mortars but I check online first to save myself some driving if I can. Still for the most part the best deals for me are offline but YMMV.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know the story on Superman? If they're dropping the price they seem to expect to keep it in print for awhile, even with the lawsuit pending.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again David. I always look at your list every week before I buy.

however, how come Fry's Electronic is not on your list or that people don't mention Fry's prices. Everytime I'm there, they have great deals on new releases.

I guess most of you guys here just don't have a Fry's just like we don't have a Sam's Club.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
SAM'S CLUB is the nation's leading members-only warehouse club with more than 46 million members. The first SAM'S CLUB opened its doors in Midwest City, Oklahoma in 1983. That same year, two additional clubs opened in Kansas City, Missouri and Dallas, Texas. From those initial three, SAM'S CLUB has expanded into a nationwide chain of more than 500 clubs across the country.
I'm truly sorry, but this is just too much work to do for a chain of 20 stores.
In the meantime, you can easily look up Fry's advertised specials online at Link Removed if you are near a store and are interested. I think that link changes week-to-week, though.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'd hit CompUSA during lunch on Tuesday, but have yet to find an in stock advertised DVD there.
Well, I was stupid enough to stop by CompUSA at lunch today, since it was right next door to where I ate lunch. Of course, as expected, they had zero copies of Better Off Dead.

Never again for me, CompUSA. Not only do they never have advertised DVD's in stock, they also very often do not have advertised computer hardware/software/supplies in stock. They are just not worth the trouble.

Circuit City has lowered John Q $14.99 nationwide. Plus they have the new Dave Matthews Band CD that includes a DVD of live material for $9.99 all week long. (not like that 9.99 one day only bs at BB.)

~Kathleen

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I was very surprised to see Amelie available at F.Y.E. this morning for $19.99. Saved me a trip to Best Buy. They also had a sale sticker on John Q., but I didn't see what it was.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I tried to pick up Better Off Dead at CompUSA. They've told me they didn't get it yet, but their phone system says otherwise. I've yet to be convinced that CompUSA does anything but suck.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yup, CompUSA had nada for new releases.

Better Off Dead is $15.99 at Costco. I would have bought both BOD and Amelie at Costco, but the lines were terribly long, so I'll try later after work.

SusanO

Agent
...note pun above

I checked in last night hoping CompUSA would violate street and have them out on the shelves but intent on picking up a sale flyer for price matching. They didn't have them out - in fact they were extremely clueless (either that or they deserve Oscars for playing dumb at CompUSA). The sales associate when pressed by me for information told me the store ordered a pitiful *three* copies each of Top Secret and Better Off Dead (BTW this store is at 1960 and 249 aka Willowbrook for you Houstonians). The whole thing is gonna play like a used car lot where they try to stick you with a crappy computer (or movie) instead of your desired comedy - a big ol' bait & switch. Either that or your experience will probably go something like this (from another DVD forum):

...picked up both this morning at opening. They didn't have them on the shelf, passed my ad around to three different employees, looked on the shelf again, before going into the stock room to bring them out...I don't know how many total copies they have. He only brought one each out for me. Guess he doesn't want them out where customers could actually buy them unassisted.
My sales drone had to ask the *manager's* permission - given the elaborate procedures they followed, you would have thought I was buying the Hope Diamond (either that or they were gonna launch into an hour long spiel about buying a vacation timeshare) before they'd let me buy my DVDs...

When I checked last night, Best Buy next door only was getting eight copies of Top Secret (I didn't ask about Better Off Dead). No idea on price as the copies weren't out - I asked an employee with an attitude problem and was so turned off I left.

However, Wherehouse Music down the street had Top Secret, Better Off Dead, Gung Ho *and* Kids In The Hall: Brain Candy out on Monday evening - they ordered like a dozen copies each of Top Secret & Better Off Dead (hooray!) but they want $24.99 each and no price matching (boo-hiss). I think I'd consider doing the Wherehouse Tuesday 3 for 1 swap for these (especially Top Secret which has 4 alternate scenes, storyboards and the gang commentary of directors and production people that we've come to expect from Zucker Abrahams & Zucker) Better Off Dead is the movie and that's it, but I've got a weakness for Savage Steve Holland so I couldn't leave CompLoser without it or Top Secret (they needed rescuing from the pathetic selection of DVDs there...)

I get the feeling CompUSA's just trying to screw with Best Buy, Circuit City, etc by doing 'promotions' like these. the object is not for CompUSA to actually get a share of the DVD sales market, it's just to bleed the competitors' profits dry knowing we consumers will shove CompLoser ads under their noses and demand cheap DVDs

Wade K

Second Unit
My local BB had at least 20 copies of Top Secret, Black Sheep, and KITH:Brain Candy on the shelves, but only one(!) copy of Better Off Dead was shipped to them. Guess I'll have to wait on that one. Couldn't pass up The Big Tease at $5.99 either.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
I took the downloaded Borders coupon in at lunch today with the intention of only picking up the 'Flint' twins but was pleasantly surprised to find 'Amelie' available at a listed $19.99 with and with the 15% redux it came to $16.99, beating Costco's price by almost a buck. A bit surprising for Borders to beat out Best Buy, Amazon and Costco.

I also went to Compusa to pick up Gung Ho for $14.99 but found they didn't have it 'out' yet. I spoke to one of the store managers and he found out that it was 'in' but not on the shelves so he ordered someone to bring it out and found out that the item was not put into the system for inventory purposes. 10 minutes later I was in possession of my title at the price indicated by Dave. Thanks for all the hard work to help us out here, Dave!!

Joel

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
BB in San Diego had only 2 copies of BOD. i was able to get one and top secret for the comp usa match. i also signed up for that zone thing they have going on.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I checked at CompUSA, prepared to have missed the $14.99 deals on TS!, G.Ho, and BoD.
Well, they had none on the shelf. So I asked a nearby clerk, who pointed me to the customer service desk for inventory lookup. She looked each up, and they had 3 of each in stock. All were in the back, not yet put out!
They got 'em for me. I walked out happy today! :)
By the same token, the 4 Fox spy-comedies (the 2 Flints, Blaise, and Fathom) were all in the backroom at Borders, where I went to get them at 15% off (net: $11.04) using the coupon that's floating around the Coupons & Bargains section. But they dug 'em up for me. :D
BTW, I asked for these at Target, where they sell for $9.44 per a previous post in this thread, but THEY checked the back room and didn't find them. So Borders it was. :shrug:
While I was at Borders I stocked up on several other things, as long as I was getting the discount. They were shocked that there was a new coupon already! :wink:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Since it appeared that CompUSA just didn't put out the loss leaders at lunch, I went back after work to pick up Amelie and BOD at Costco, and gave CompUSA one more shot, and they did have BOD, Top Secret! and Gung Ho at the $14.99 price each, so I picked up Top Secret! from them (it was worth saving a couple of $$$ since it was on the way home.

The cashier at Costco thanked me for buying BOD because she had been talking with her friends about the movie with a talking hamburger in it but she didn't have any idea of the name of the movie (BOD), so now she does.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the Border's coupon Dave... I got Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy and Better Off Dead for $16.99 each (and surprised the cashier that a new coupon was out) :D

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City has the four Fox spy films (In Like Flint, Our Man Flint, Fathom & Modesty Blaise) for $9.99 instead of the $12.99 quoted by David Lambert. I was pretty surprised-- pleasantly, though!

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
My CompUSA had Top Secret in stock, but I don't think I saw the others.

Thanks for the heads up Dave! I'm taking you off the Montgomery Ward's mailing list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks