What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon

Weekly RoundUp 3-14-2017

WRU-Banner-16-9-1024x661.jpg

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…
The Features

full

– Fences – 2016

full

– Passengers – 2016

full

– How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying – 1967

full

– Collateral Beauty – 2016
full

– Peyton Place – 1957
full

– The Valley of Gwangi – 1969

full

– The Man Who Could Cheat Death – 1959

full

– The Bitch – 1979
The Prices

full

The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.
Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

UHD
Amazon
BestBuy
Target

Collateral Beauty (Blu-ray 4k) (WB)

$29.99

Passengers (Blu-ray 4k) (Sony)
$25.96

$27.99

full

Blu-ray
Amazon
BestBuy
Target

48 Hours to Live (Gravitas)
$24.99

American Violence (Cinedigm)
$11.99

Ascent to Hell ' (Gravitas)
$19.99

Baby Boom (Twilight Time)

Being 17 (Strand)
$19.18

Bitch, The (Kino)
$19.15

Canoa: A Shameful Memory (Criterion)
$26.19

Certain Fury (Kino)
$19.99

Collateral Beauty (Warner Bros.)
$19.96

$19.99

Creeping Garden, The (Arrow Films)
$39.95

Demon Seed (Warner Archive)
$17.99

Drive-In Massacre (Severin)
$21.10

Elle (Sony)
$19.99

Fallen Stars (Gravitas)
$19.99

Fences (Paramount)
$19.99
$19.99
$19.99

Firestarter: Collector's Edition (Shout! Factory)
$22.99

Frisky ' (Gravitas)
$19.99

Ghost in the Shell (Limited Edition Mondo Blu-ray) (Anchor Bay)
$24.99

How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (Twilight Time)

Love Witch, The (Oscilloscope)
$24.99

Lovers on the Bridge, The (Kino)
$22.99

Man Who Could Cheat Death, The (Kino)
$19.36

Mondo Weirdo/Vampiros Sexos (Cult Epics)
$39.95

Nash Bridges: The Fifth Season (VEI) (3-17 release)
$19.99

Nash Bridges: The Sixth Season (VEI) (3-17 release)
$19.99

One Under the Sun (Gravitas)
$19.99

Our Man in Havana (Twilight Time)

Passengers (Sony)
$19.96
$19.99
$19.99

Peyton Place (Twilight Time)

Red Dawn: Collector's Edition (Shout! Factory)
$22.99

Return of Kung Fu Trailers of Fury (Severin)
$17.58

Six: Season 1 (History)
$19.96

Skull, The (Kino)
$18.99

Solace (Lions Gate)
$24.99
$14.99

Story of Sin (Arrow Films)
$39.95

Stud, The (Kino)
$19.15

They're Playing With Fire (Kino)
$19.15

Valley of Gwangi, The (Warner Archive)
$17.11

full

DVD
Amazon
BestBuy
Target

48 Hours to Live (Gravitas)
$19.99

Accidental Courtesy (First Run Pictures)
$19.95

An American Conscience: The Reinhold Niebuhr Story (First Run Pictures)
$24.95

American Violence (Cinedigm)
$11.99

Ascent to Hell (Gravitas)
$14.99

Being 17 (Strand)
$16.84

Bitch, The (Kino)
$19.95

Canoa: A Shameful Memory (Criterion)
$22.99

Certain Fury (Kino)
$13.99

CHiPs - Season 5 (Warner Bros.)
$18.79

Collateral Beauty (Warner Bros.)
$15.96

$17.99

Drive-In Massacre (Severin)
$12.60

Drunk History - Season 4 (Paramount)
$14.67

Easter Sunday (Camp Motion Pictures)
$19.95

Elle (Sony)
$15.85

Fallen Stars (Gravitas)
$16.99

Fences (Paramount)
$17.99

$17.99

Frisky (Gravitas)
$16.99

Gary Numan: Android in La La Land (First Run Pictures)
$24.95

Gravedigger, The / Tales From Beyond The Grave (Dbl. Feature) (Massacre)
$19.95

Jetsons & WWE, The: Robo-Wrestlemania! (WB)
$12.96

$12.99

Johnny Frank Garrett's Last Word (Sony)
$9.22

Love Witch, The (Oscilloscope)
$20.22

Lovers on the Bridge, The (Kino)
$29.95

Man Who Could Cheat Death, The (Kino)
$19.95

Millionaires in Prison (Warner Archives)
$17.99

Minimalism (Kino)
$29.95

Moving From Emptiness: Zen Dude (Kino)
$29.95

Murder, Inc. (Fox Archives)
$19.98

Newhart : Season 8 (Final) (Shout! Factory)
$19.99

One Under the Sun (Gravitas)
$16.99

Passengers (Sony)
$17.99

$17.99

Pee-wee's Playhouse: Complete Series (Shout! Factory)
$39.97

Return of Kung Fu Trailers of Fury (Severin)
$14.99

Robodog: Airborne (Lions Gate)
$19.98

Sailor of the King (Fox Archives)
$19.98

Sea Wife (Fox Archives)
$19.98

Six: Season 1 (History)
$17.96

Skull, The (Kino)
$19.95

Solace (Lions Gate)
$19.98

Stray Bullets (Cinedigm)
$24.99

Stud, The (Kino)
$19.95

They're Playing With Fire (Kino)
$19.95

To Tell the Truth (Icarus)
$19.99

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Season 2 (Universal)
$14.99

$14.99

Wanted: Jane Turner (Warner Archive)
$21.99

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

The Specials

--Another week of Twilight Time releases. You know the drill. They can only be pre-ordered HERE and HERE.

--Best Buy, this week, has EXCLUSIVE STEELBOOK PACKAGING with their EXCLUSIVE 4k/3-D release of Passengers. Price of the 4k/3-D Blu Steelbook Combo will be $26.99.

--Best Buy also has "Family Favorites From Disney" on sale this week:

$19.99: Pinocchio, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Frozen, Beauty and the Beast

$22.99: Moana

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: None to report.

--Target this week has an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISC with its copies of Passengers. “Journey to the Stars: The Making of Passengers.”

--Target is also advertising a pre-order of an EXCLUSIVE RELEASE of Star Wars: Rogue One. The release will include more than 10 minutes of bonus content and collectible packaging (with five interchangeable covers). Pre-order at target.com/preorder and get a FREE $5 Target giftcard.

--Target Odds and Ends: Moana Blu-ray for $24.99 and Doctor Strange DVD on sale for $19.99.
Read more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey RoundUppers!

Big week this week!

Lots coming from the big studios...and Twilight Time & Kino, Criterion. Arrow and Shout Factory, too.

Personally, I am SO excited to have How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying on its way to me from SAE. Can't wait to see what it looks like! I'm kinda wishing I had also ordered Peyton Place, too. Lana Turner, Hope Lange, Lloyd Nolan, Arthur Kennedy, Russ Tamblyn... I LOVE that poster I've used on the OP! But maybe I'll be able to wait until a TT sale (as long as they don't sell out).

I've also got the 4k of Passengers on the way from Amazon. Some day I'll bite on the Blu of Fences when I see it on a big sale (or used).

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I recommend ELLE if you wish to see the performance by an actress that topped all others this year, including the one in La3. It's a tough film to watch, but it's a rewarding experience. I'm certain that the main reason Huppert didn't win the Oscar was that the film was subtitled and few people watched it due to its provocative nature. Give it a chance.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mike, thanks again for the round up. Another stellar episode job.

My copy of How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying arrived today (from TT).

On an unrelated note, lately missing from your graphics Scarlett Johanssen is hosting SNL tonight

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
On an unrelated note, lately missing from your graphics Scarlett Johanssen is hosting SNL tonight

There's some good intel. Thanks, David! ;)

I'm hard-pressed to remember the last ScarJo film that got a release to home video and had a proper image in the RoundUp!

And I forgot to mention my appreciation to all those who "like" the OP. It's something I see each week and don't want to miss saying THANK YOU for.

I have read quite a lot about Isabel Huppert's performance in Elle, Jose. I will also probably pick up that disc down the road, too...with the same strategy as Fences (sale/used).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks, Mike, for your work as always.

I want How to Succeed and Fences, which are both great, eventually. Because I want the new extras, I might even have considered the re-release of Beauty and the Beast '91 on Blu-ray now that it's at the $19.99 price point (it was higher last fall when it came out, and sold out everywhere at Black Friday when it was cheaper.)

But -- since I spent about $45 last week in between the Moana steelbook and the soundtrack for the new Beauty and the Beast (which really should have come out this week, anyway) -- I'm going to have to skip them for now. I'll bite on Fences, too, post-price drop, and hopefully How to Succeed stays in stock with TT or SAE long enough for me to get it this summer at a less-crowded release time.

Even though they're not discs, Harry Potter fans might note that the Hogwarts Library spinoff books (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Quidditch Through the Ages and The Tales of Beedle the Bard) are being reissued this week, both separately and together in a slick-looking boxed set. Scholastic says Fantastic Beasts has been updated somewhat -- how much exactly, I don't know, but I would guess probably to bring the original 2001 text more in alignment with the recent film bearing its name -- so I will be getting that again, and Amazon has it for $7.38+tax, so that's not bad at all.

I have not been able to find anything indicating whether the other two are straight reprints or if they, also, have been updated. I am assuming that they must be reprints, because if there was new material, that would be explicitly stated in press information. So, even though I like the new covers, I'll stick with my original copies of those books (unless someone who gets them actually confirms they have something new, in which case I would probably get them too at some point.)

That's it for me this week and, as usual with the spinoff books, JKR and Scholastic's proceeds are going to charity, which is nice too.

For those interested, here is the Amazon link for the new updated Fantastic Beasts book: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1338132318/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While I would enjoy having How to Succeed and Fences now, I'm also glad to have a light week after the high cost of last week and more upcoming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Wonder if the Target bonus disc will come with the 4K disc of Passengers (which I'm only buying for the 3D, not 4K)? If not then I'll try for the Best Buy steelbook.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wonder if the Target bonus disc will come with the 4K disc of Passengers (which I'm only buying for the 3D, not 4K)? If not then I'll try for the Best Buy steelbook.

They never make that stuff clear in the Sunday flyers, Jesse. Boy, do I wish they did. Back in the day, there used to be confusion about whether the bonus stuff would be included with the Blu if it was with the DVD. Now it's whether the bonus stuff which wWILL be included with the Blu would be included with the DVD (usually not, I guess) or with the 4k discs.

It wouldn't be hard for them to be totally clear on that point.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It wouldn't be hard for them to be totally clear on that point.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement, but it's likely more effort than the people putting together the circular want to make. A lot of the retailers seem to make obtaining their exclusives difficult (see my issues reserving a copy of the Moana steelbook last week as only a recent example.) My all-time favorite exclusives-hell story happened when I was in college in Indiana, Our local Target didn't even stock any Dango Unchained steelbooks at all -- which was their exclusive. I know they didn't sell out because I went in there as soon as they opened up the store on release morning. So the way I got one was through a friend in Nebraksa, who bought one at his local Target and sent it to me. :D This kind of crap raises the question why they bother with store exclusives at all, which I suspect they have to pay the studios for, if they're going to make them so damn hard to get.

Wonder if the Target bonus disc will come with the 4K disc of Passengers

A curiosity look at Target's web site reveals these two links.

http://www.target.com/p/passengers-2016-4k-uhd-3d-blu-ray-digital-3-disc/-/A-52092708 -- This one is the 2D Blu-ray+3D Blu-ray+4K edition, and it doesn't say anything about a Target exclusive being offered with it. It also says it has 3 discs, which would be 4 if the bonus disc were included.

This one http://www.target.com/p/passengers-2016-target-exclusive-blu-ray-digital/-/A-52092735 is marked as the Target exclusive and has different artwork. It is a Blu-ray + digital.

So, I think the answer is probably "no," the exclusive will not come with the 4K edition, because if that were the case, there would almost surely be a listing for it on Target.com.

I wouldn't 100% guarantee any of these educated guesses, but I would be pleasantly surprised if I were wrong. So, I'd go for the steelbook instead so you get some sort of exclusive. This particular film isn't of interest to me, but good luck.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Other than three of this month's Twilight Time releases, I didn't have any other review assignments for this week (that almost NEVER happens). Am waiting for the TTs to arrive. Greatly anticipating them this month.

Thanks for another excellent RoundUp, Mike.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Forgot to add in my long original post that ELLE is one hell of a movie and highly recommended for anybody willing to take a chance on a decidedly unique, and certainly also deeply disturbing, thriller. Isabelle Huppert completely deserved breaking through the foreign language barrier with her Globe and Oscar nomination, and out of those performances she probably would have been my second choice to actually get the Oscar, too. However, as great as it was, I'm not going to get it, because I can't imagine wanting to rewatch it with much, if any, frequency. But I am very glad I saw it once and it's absolutely worth one rewarding watch for open-minded viewers.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Passengers would have been a blind buy if not for the horrendous reviews. As it is, I'll wait the extra week for the Blu-Ray to show up in the Redbox.

Thanks as always, Mike!

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
(see my issues reserving a copy of the Moana steelbook last week as only a recent example.)
The way to get these Best Buy exclusives is to order them for pickup the morning of their release as at that point you will be able to select pickup at your local store. Should really be done before the store opens, so they can put a copy aside. Unfortunately, I completely forgot to do that for the Moana 3D version last week and only managed to get the regular Steelbook version, and I had to drive for a bit. But otherwise I would have paid a lot more through eBay or the like, because sadly I'm a sucker for these.

-Christian

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The way to get these Best Buy exclusives is to order them for pickup the morning of their release as at that point you will be able to select pickup at your local store.

Oh, I tried that, but my store wouldn't show as an option for store pickup; the closest one that was cooperating was 14 miles away from here. I knew that I wouldn't be able to get into the store until later in the day, but there was just no way to reserve it for pickup using my close store. I ended up getting lucky as there were two left when I got there. The point is it shouldn't have to be that difficult to make a purchase of something that the store paid the studio in order to have exclusive rights to carry.

To solve your issue, it appears to me that the only difference between the two steelbooks is that the 3D one presumably has an extra slot for the 3D disc. If you want the 3D disc, it should be easy enough to find someone on eBay selling the 3D disc by itself, and then you could place it in the steelbook in place of the DVD.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, well, well. Amazon already shipped the Fantastic Beasts book I mentioned in my original post. I wasn't expecting that to go out until tomorrow -- things usually ship out from the Phoenix warehouse and only take about a day to get here -- but this one is coming from Texas. Gotta love the speed of Prime.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I;d trade 3 days of speed for going back to proper packing. The best I can hope for now is a bubble envelope for my blurays, but that pales in comparison to the Hard Drive I just received today and return label already printed.

Sunday delivery is useless if you end up having to return things b.c of absurd packing -- Hey let's send a single bare drive in a box designed for a small AV receiver. You think a bubble envelope by itself is enough protection? Why don't we use a box about the same size of the HD, wow that's an awful lot of empty space, should we add some packing? Well they're too far away and it's just a waste of money, it'll be OK

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks