What's new

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
As I've mentioned in various threads, we've been considering a new TV. The purchase has been debated, talked about, mulled over and discarded a few times. But the trigger got pulled last night...it's my Christmas present. The old 42" inch plasma is being replaced with a 65" Sony (XBR65X850E). I'm taking it out of the box and setting it up tonight. The UHD player will come on Black Friday...maybe before, I'm not sure yet. So all of my preorders are shortly to be switched to the UHD versions. I've already told my sister Black Friday may be very expensive...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, thanks to this thread I just realized that The Big Sick was released on BD. This great movie got like zero promotion going into the theaters, and apparently is receiving just as much studio support for its home video release. And I'm sure the studio is going to blame the movie for its lack of sales.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Wow, thanks to this thread I just realized that The Big Sick was released on BD. This great movie got like zero promotion going into the theaters, and apparently is receiving just as much studio support for its home video release. And I'm sure the studio is going to blame the movie for its lack of sales.
Still no word on the Golden Globe nominated Hidden Fences :angry:...
;)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This great movie got like zero promotion going into the theaters, and apparently is receiving just as much studio support for its home video release.

I saw a lot of press around it when it was in theaters, and it currently has a gross of $42 million, which is pretty good for an indie film. I think that based purely on the merit of the film, it should be way higher than that, but I doubt Amazon is disappointed in any way. Their only movie to gross higher was Manchester by the Sea, which did so with Oscar season awards support, and only got to $47 million, which Big Sick was within spitting distance of passing and probably would have if the Blu-ray came out later.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I think it had alot of word of mouth on Twitter from comedians. That's where I saw the biggest push anyway. I went the first week thinking that, since it was a small movie, it would be gone after a week but it played continuously at my theater until 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
it played continuously at my theater until 2 or 3 weeks ago.

My Cinemark opened it on July 7 and closed it on September 15, just ahead of the Blu-ray release. I think it could have played even longer had the Blu-ray release been pushed back or dated for later in the year.

I think the film is the best 2017 release I've seen so far, and it deserves to be seen by more people than would generate a $42 million gross, but at the same time, I don't think $42 million is a bad result in the current box office climate. While it's natural that they would want it to be higher, I doubt anyone involved with the film is displeased with a $42 million result. It is by far the highest-grossing indie/specialty title of the year so far. The next-biggest indie title that went with a platform release strategy this year is Wind River, which is at $31 million right now and has already reached its peak theater count, and Big Sick is well ahead of that.

And I don't think a release date price of $17.99 hurts The Big Sick at all...

I agree, Mike. I was expecting to pay about $19.99 or so for it, and was pleasantly surprised when it went lower. Although Wonder Woman probably sold more last week, I think a release date price of $24.99 on Wonder Woman is more damaging to that movie's initial sales than $17.99 was for The Big Sick, since I (and also many other people in last week's Roundup thread) have indicated plans to wait for a price drop on Wonder Woman, and might not have done so had it been priced more reasonably last week.

Last edited:

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Mike,

I haven't been an HTF regular for a while now having settled on an HT system (I haven't bought new hardware since 2008!) and having both time and money diverted by family, so I haven't been keeping up with things here. I remember you running this weekly roundup in the early-to-mid aughts when I was more active. Have you been running it constantly this whole time? If so, wow! I'm amazed by your consistency and thankful for this very valuable service. As I slowly crawl out of my cave to see what the 4K hubbub is all about I'm sure I'll be checking your weekly posts with interest as I did back in the day.

As a cheapskate, all these $20+ 4K discs hurt my feelings though.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Yohan! :wave-hello: I remember your name from back in the day!

Yep. Ron and the other owners keep me chained here in the basement to push out these RoundUps each and every week...since January 2004 (but who's counting?!?). :D Every once in a while they send in a pizza...so that's kinda cool. :blink:

I guess the kids must be getting older and you are starting to enjoy some of those things you had time for BEFORE parent-teacher meetings, recitals, sporting events, homework, orthodontia...and on and on! :laugh:

As you start to look into the 4k technology...know that there ARE deals to be had. For example, this week the recent Close Encounters release just saw a big price drop to $16.99. And there are other lower priced 4k discs. The hardware is still kind of pricey...but budgets being what they are (say, you wouldn't be thinking about college bills soon, would you?!?) you can usually find ways to cut costs there, too.

I'm actually buying some 4k discs right now...even though I'm not fully 4k capable. I've got a 4k player (Oppo 203) and 4k capable receiver (Denon X2000)...but don't have a 4k display yet as my 55" Panasonic plasma is still in good working order. One of these days I'll be excited to upgrade my audio to an ATMOS system (but that'll mean a new receiver and some more speakers).

Hope you keep checking in on the RoundUp. I really like to provide the service. I just wish more people took advantage of it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Speaking about hardware prices: when we got the new TV on Sunday, BB was having a deal...free 4k player if you bought a Sony 75 inch TV. I really, really couldn't justify a 75 inch display. It wouldn't have fit in the car, wouldn't fit in the place we had/have for the TV and, even both of the above criteria were met, the room is too small. The viewing distance wouldn't work and the picture would look like crap.

Depending on how much bonus pay I get this coming week, I may splurge on a new player. I've already converted a lot of my preorders to 4k...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks