What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon

Weekly RoundUp 3-7-2017

WRU-Banner-16-9-1024x661.jpg

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…
The Features

full

– Moana – 2016

full

– Jackie – 2016

full

– Finian’s Rainbow – 1968

full

– Compulsion – 1959
full

– 45 Years – 2015
full

– S.O.B. – 1981
The Prices

full

The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.
Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-ray
Amazon
BestBuy
Target

100 Streets (Sony)
$19.99

45 Years (Criterion)
$27.99

Always Shine (Oscilloscope)
$34.99

Andy Paris: Bubble Gum King (Gravitas)
$19.99

Aria (Sony)
$25.99

Banking on Bitcoin (Gravitas)
$24.99

Brand New Testament, The (Music Box)
$34.95

Bunyan & Babe (Cinedigm)
$19.98

Cold War 2 (Well Go USA)
$17.99

Colors
$19.99

Compulsion (Kino)
$18.99

Death Walks at Midnight (Arrow)
$18.99

Death Walks on High Heels (Arrow)
$29.95

Eyes of My Mother, The (Magnolia)
$17.23

Finian's Rainbow (Warner Archive)
$17.99

Incarnate (Universal)
$19.96

Jackie (Fox)
$19.96
$19.99
$19.99

Lesson, The (Shout! Factory)
$14.99

Man Down (Lions Gate)
$17.36

Miss Hokusai (Universal)
$19.96

Moana (Walt Disney)

$22.99
$22.99

Moana (3-D) (Walt Disney)

NFL Super Bowl LI Champions
$21.78

Pulse (1988) (Mill Creek)
$6.99

The Red Pill
$24.99

S.O.B. (Warner Archive)
$17.99

Tanna (Sony)
$25.99

That '70s Show - Complete Series Flashback Edition (Mill Creek)
$59.99

Trespass Against Us (Lions Gate)
$17.81

Wentworth: Season 2
$38.99

What Planet are you From? (Mill Creek)
$6.99

full

The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

DVD
Amazon
BestBuy
Target

100 Streets (Sony)
$17.99

45 Years (Criterion)
$22.99

Always Shine (Oscilloscope)
$39.99

Americans, The (Complete Fourth Season) (Fox)
$19.99
$19.99
$19.99

Arthur: King of the Britons (BBC)
$14.97

Andy Paris: Bubble Gum King (Gravitas)
$16.99

Ardennes, The (Film Movement)
$24.95

Banking on Bitcoin (Gravitas)
$19.99

Brand New Testament, The (Music Box)
$21.10

Bunyan & Babe (Cinedigm)
$11.99

Chapter & Verse (Anchor Bay)
$13.99

Cold War 2 (Well Go USA)
$14.99

Death Walks at Midnight (Arrow)
$19.95

Death Walks on High Heels (Arrow)
$19.95

Departure (Wolfe)
$18.22

Eyes of My Mother, The (Magnolia)
$12.96

Fair Haven (Breaking Glass Pictures)
$14.31

Hotel of the Damned (Uncork'd Entertainment)
$12.99

I Am the Ambassador (Kino)
$34.95

I Am Michael
$16.11

Ice Age: The Great Egg-scapade (Fox)
$5.99

Incarnate (Universal)
$17.96

Jackie (Fox)
$14.96

$14.99

Jamie Foxx Show: Season 2 (Warner Archive)
$25.59

Kendra on Top: Seasons 4 & 5 (MPI)
$19.99

Legend of Chupacabras, The (Lions Gate)
$12.96

Lesson, The (Shout! Factory)
$9.96

Man Down (Lions Gate)
$19.98

Miss Hokusai (Universal)
$18.37

Moana (Walt Disney)

$17.99

New Life (Broad Green)
$12.99

NFL Super Bowl LI Champions
$18.02

Paw Patrol: Pups Save the Bunnies (Nickelodeon)
$9.96

$9.99

Pocket Listing (Sony)
$9.99

The Red Pill
$19.99

Saving Hope - The Complete 4th Season (Sony)
$38.99

Slasher.com (ITN Distribution)
$14.93

Star Trek: Voyager - The Complete Series (Paramount)
$95.99

Tanna (Sony)
$13.59

Trespass Against Us (Lions Gate)
$19.98

Voiceless (Anchor Bay)
$9.29

You Me Her - Season 1 (Sony)
$21.99

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

The Specials

--Best Buy, this week, has EXCLUSIVE STEELBOOK PACKAGING with their Blu copies of Moana. The Disney steelbook pricing premium of $5 is, again, in effect. The 2-D Blu steelbooks will sell for $27.99. The 3-D Blu steelbooks will sell for $32.99.

--Best Buy also has the following UHD 4k titles on sale this week “starting at $19.99:”

Underworld, The Last Witch Hunter, Resident Evil Afterlife

--The following Blu-ray releases are on sale this week at Best Buy:

$7.99: X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Wolverine

$12.99: Suicide Squad, The Accountant, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

$17.99: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

$19.99: Finding Dory, Frozen, Inside Out, Zootopia, X-Men First Class (UHD 4k), X-Men: Days of Future Past (UHD 4k)

$22.99: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (3-D), Doctor Strange

$29.99: The Walking Dead: Season 6

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: None to report.

--Target this week has an EXCLUSIVE RELEASE of Moana on Blu-ray. It includes a 32-page storybook.

--Target is also advertising its Blu-ray copies of Doctor Strange for $22.99 and DVD copies of Beauty and the Beast (1991) for $17.99.

--Target Odds and Ends: A list of $8 DVDs. List includes The LEGO Movie, Fury/Monuments Men Double Feature, Fast & Furious 1 & 2, Hotel Transylvania 2 and The Sound of Music.
Read more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the RoundUp!

I do have one other disc for review in this week's list: Miss Hokusai which I'll get to on Monday. A bunch of discs arrived at the end of the week, and it has been a struggle to get them all attended to amid other responsibilities.

Really looking forward to getting my preorders of Finian's Rainbow and S.O.B. Great job, Warner Archive!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Arthur: King of the Britons apparently is a 2002 documentary narrated by Richard Harris. It's not a dramatization of Arthur's life and times.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for your work as always, Mike. Moana for me this week -- the steelbook if I can find it. Not happy about the price premium, but I really loved the movie and think the steelbook cover derived from the teaser poster is much nicer looking than the regular edition covers. So, that's fine -- well, it's not fine, but i'll swallow hard and get it. Fortunately, I couldn't care less about 3D so at least won't need to pay $32.99.

I'll also have the new Beauty and the Beast soundtrack on the way from Amazon at the end of the week, too. Good thing Disney and Amazon's current feud doesn't impact CDs.

I liked Jackie in the theater and would recommend it as a rental for those interested, but wouldn't want to revisit it with enough frequency to justify a purchase.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was planning on making Moana a blind buy if I could find it for under $20. But at $23, I'm really on the fence. I might just Redbox it and then wait for bargain pricing down the road if I like it.

I'll be picking up The Americans (arguably the best show on TV) this week.
It's at the point now where I groan when I see Fox is the production company behind a show, because I know it's likely to go DVD only if the one trial Blu-Ray season doesn't hit their sales targets. Warner Bros. and Sony are both far more aggressive at bringing their TV offerings to Blu-Ray. Even Universal is better than Fox.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was planning on making Moana a blind buy if I could find it for under $20. But at $23, I'm really on the fence. I might just Redbox it and then wait for bargain pricing down the road if I like it.

Bullmoose.com has it for 19.97 if you really don't want to wait. Well they did have it up for order yesterday, but not both 2D/3D are listed instore only. I suspect they are now in release mode and may not allow online orders again until Tuesday.
2.99 for shipping, FS above $30 (actually a few pennies less). Gift Cards allowed to get to the FS level for those that use regularly
Rogue One preorder also 19.97.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

I agree that Moana is unusually high, but with the possible exception of Black Friday, I haven't really seen Disney do "bargain pricing" on their major top-shelf animated titles. So, you might be waiting a long time if you go this route. Of course, Moana is also covered under Disney's output deal with Netflix, so it will be uploaded on their streaming service sometime this summer (they're usually averaging about four months after the disc release) But, if you want it, just bear in mind Disney's typical behavior in regards to price drops, or not.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'll be picking up the 3D version of Moana. I haven't see it, but the family liked it.

I'll give Jackie a rent in future.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The 3D Bluray version of Moana is the Selection this month for DMC (@$29.99) so for the $2-$5 I might save elsewhere, I ordered it and some other titles through DMC ...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Best Buy is being weird regarding the Moana steelbook. At first, I wanted to order it to be shipped to my home, but for some reason it is unavailable for shipping and the only option is to reserve ti for store pickup. Because I will not be able to get into Best Buy first thing on Tuesday morning, I thought this would be a good idea, in order to have one reserved for me to ensure they don't sell out. However, for some reason my local store is not displaying as an option for pickup, and the closest store that is an option is 14 miles away, which is ridiculous. I guess I will try to call them on Tuesday and hope they will hold one for me. I don't know why stores bother to have exclusive editions if they make them so damn hard to purchase.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Noticed the 3D versions of Moana aren't in the grid so I checked the web sites. Target will have it for $29.99, Best Buy for $27.99. BB will also have a steelbook for the 3D for $32.99. Jeez! I'll stick with the normal version and keep the $5, thank you very much.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I ended up finding a $5 eGift card that I'd gotten as part of an old preorder promotion last fall. That brought the price of the 2D Blu-ray below $20 at Target.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, I lucked out -- despite not being able to reserve one via their website, my local Best Buy had two copies of the Moana steelbook left this afternoon, so I did manage to get one. I don't know how many they had in stock to begin with, but with only two left (now, one left), it appears to be selling well and quickly in spite of the pricing premium. I got it mostly because I think the artwork, derived from the teaser poster, is nicer than the cover of the basic edition. The steel looks beautiful.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just liked the cover art THAT MUCH more!

Oh I agree with that artwork being better, too, for sure, although in that particular case I still went with the Blu+DVD. I recall the premium on the 3D being way more than the $5 extra I spent on Moana.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks