What's new

Weekly RoundUp 1-3-2006 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Weekly RoundUp

The Features

– Bill Murray & Sharon Stone (Broken Flowers - 2005)

– The best in jazz. (A Great Day in Harlem - 1994)

– The Cast (Gunsmoke – 1955 to 1975)

– The Valachi Papers (1972)

The Prices

TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoAlien Nation: Complete Series$34.99$34.99$39.99--All in the Family: Season 5$20.96$24.99$24.99--Broken Flowers$19.96$17.99$19.99$19.99-Cartoon Adv./Gerald McBoing Boing$9.99$12.99$14.94--**The Cave$20.26$19.99$17.99$19.99-Cloud 9$17.98$14.99$15.99--Dumb & Dumber (NR)$13.99$14.99$12.99--Football Box Set$18.72$14.99$24.97--The Gospel SE$20.26$19.99$17.99$19.99-A Great Day in Harlem$17.99$22.99$19.99--Green River Killer$18.99$24.99$19.99--Gunsmoke 50th Anniversary: Vol. 1$27.74$31.99$29.99$24.99?- Gunsmoke 50th Anniversary: Vol. 2$27.74$31.99$29.99$24.99?- Gunsmoke 50th Anniversary: Vol. 1 & 2$51.74$69.99$65.98$24.99?-Have Gun Will Travel: Season 3$34.99$37.99$34.99--Hunter: Season 3$27.99$29.99$34.99--The Mob Box Set$31.45$24.99$24.99$22.99-My Date with Drew$11.23$12.99$8.99--School of Life$25.18$24.99$19.99--Secuestro Express$26.99$19.99$24.99--Silk Stalkings: Season 4$27.99$29.99$34.99--Snatch: Deluxe Edition$14.95$14.99$12.99--Stuart Little 2 SE$14.97$14.99$19.96--The Valachi Papers$14.95$14.99$15.99--Walt Disney’s Timeless Tales: Vol. 3$13.99$16.99$17.99--**Wedding Crashers: Uncorked (NR)$15.98$14.99$14.99$16.99$18.99Wedding Crashers (Rated)$15.98$14.99$14.99--Wiggles: Here Comes/Big Red Car$12.74$14.99$12.99--

Individual titles included in box sets listed above:

Football Box Set: Jerry Maguire, Radio, Rudy.

The Mob Box Set: American Gangster, Bugsy, Donnie Brasco, Snatch.

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

"LP" in the RoundUp table means a store’s Sunday flyer says "Low Price". That means I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, as always, Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

The Specials

**BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! The Cave AND The Wedding Crashers: Uncorked (NR) are both available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one(s) ! Also, note that The Wedding Crashers is also being released in a rated-version (not “uncorked”) which is OAR only! :emoji_thumbsup:

--Fans of Gunsmoke MAY want to run to their local Target this week. Target is showing a price of $24.99 underneath this DVD cover in its flyer:

THAT is the TWO-VOLUME Gunsmoke 50th Anniversary set which is listing at $50+ in all other locations. The individual volume set covers are very different:

--Circuit City is also having a 2-day-only sale on Sunday & Monday…featuring $13.99 titles such as Herbie: Fully Loaded, Madagascar, War of the Worlds (2005), Star Wars Ep. 3 RotS, Dukes of Hazzard (NR), and March of the Penguins. Fantastic Four and Island are both listed as “Low Price” but I would suspect they may go for $13.99, too. ;)

--The releases, this week, of Stuart Little all feature a “sneak peek” at Stuart Little 3 (scheduled for DVD release next month). EDIT** AND THE PACKAGES which include SL 1 ARE ALL MAR! :thumbsdown: STAY AWAY! The packages with SL 2 include a WS version.

--The new Dumb & Dumber release is being promoted as a never-before-seen unrated version which includes 8-minutes of new footage plus all-new bonus features.

--Best Buy, this week, if offering a promotion with The Wedding Crashers: Uncorked. Buy The Wedding Crashers: Uncorked and ANY ONE of the following DVD and get BOTH for $20!: The Mask (Jim Carrey), The Wedding Singer, Austin Powers, Starsky & Hutch, Ace Ventura pet Detective, and Harold & Kumar Go to the White Castle. Must be purchased on same receipt. Reg. price $9.99 - $14.99 each.)

--Best Buy is also offering, for members of its Reward Zone program, 15,000 bonus RZ points with the purchase of The Gospel on DVD ($19.99).

--Best Buy is also advertising for this week all episodes of Smallville, Gilmore Girls and One Tree Hill for just $24.99

--Best Buy has a number of newer releases in its $9.99 list this week. Check out the entire list. Some titles of note (as examples) include Office Space: SE with Flair and Shaun of the Dead.

--Circuit City has EXCLUSIVE FREE playing cards (that’s right, PLAYING CARDS!!!) with the purchase of The Wedding Crashers: Uncorked at their stores. While supplies last. Minimum 30 sets per store.

--Circuit City is also offering a $5 savings to anyone who purchases BOTH The Gospel on DVD ($17.99) and its CD soundtrack ($9.99). In-store only. Purchases must be on same receipt.

--Circuit City also has some tremendous deals on newer releases this week: some $9.99 two-packs featuring combos such as Million Dollar Baby/The Aviator and Alexander/Constantine.

--Target has, with its copies of The Wedding Crashers: Uncorked, an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISC. It is described only as a “bonus disc” (not a DVD or CD or PC CD-ROM although I would guess DVD since it doesn’t say) with “Trivia Challenge” (trivia about the movie? Dunno. Not clear.). Quantity limited. No rainchecks.

--Target is also offering one of its FREE $5 GiftCards with the purchase of The Gospel. No rainchecks.

The Markdowns

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:

EFFECTIVE: January 3, 2006 (Studio/Titles/New SRP)

None to report.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Happy 2006 RoundUppers!

Hope you all have a great year!

A little late posting again this week. This time I was watching the big fireworks show that's part of Albany's "First Night" program! :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City on sale DVD items:

$17.99:
Their Eyes Were Watching God

$9.99 2-packs:
Aviator / Million Dollar Baby
Alexander / Constantine
Racing Stripes / A Cinderella Story
Ocean's Twelve / Starsky & Hutch
Catwoman / Miss Congeniality 2

$7.50 each:
Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle
Friday After Next
All About the Benjamins
Player's Club
Ocean's Eleven
Beetlejuice
Rules of Engagement
Coming to America
American History X
Love & Basketball
Armageddon
Dumb & Dumberer
Training Day
Menace To Society
Rush Hour
Money Talks
Last Man Standing
Private Parts
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Final Destination
Up In Smoke
Seven
Risky Business
Men of Honor
Now & Then
Pleasantville
The Big Bounce
Boiler Room
American Outlaws
Runaway Bride
Three Amigos

$13.99 each (2-day sale Jan. 1 and Jan. 2):
Herbie: Fully Loaded
Madagascar
March of the Penguins
Star Wars III: RotS
The Dukes of Hazzard
War of the Worlds

Low Price:
Fantastic Four
The Island

-------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

The Football Collection 3 Pack (Radio / Rudy / Jerry Maguire) $17.99
Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo Special Edition $14.99

$9.99 Each:
Kingdom of Heaven
The Notebook
Monster-In-Law
The Upside of Anger
Blade: Trinity Unrated Edition
Constantine
Million Dollar Baby 2-disc
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Scarface: 2-disc Anniversary Edition (Pacino)
Anchorman: Legend of Ron Burgundy Unrated
Orgazmo: Unrated Special Edition
Meet The Fockers
Garden State
Office Space: Special Edition With Flair!
The Breakfast Club (High School Reunion Collection Version)
Tommy Boy: Holy Schinke Edition
Beauty Shop
Guess Who
Girl Next Door Unrated
Shaun of the Dead
Braveheart
George Lopez: Why You Crying?
Man of the House
xXx: State of the Union
House of Flying Daggers
Kung Fu Hustle
White Chicks
Old School Unrated
Jackass: Volume 1
Cheech & Chong: Still Smokin

Season sets:

$24.99 each:
Smallville: Season 1 / 2 / 3 / 4
One Tree Hill: Season 1 / 2
Gilmore Girls: Season 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Alien Nation: Season 1 $34.99

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

$10 each:
Kung Fu Hustle
Hotel Rwanda
Spider-man 2
Spanglish
Miss Congeniality: DE
Be Cool
Phantom of the Opera
xXx: State of the Union

$7.50 each:
Van Wilder
Terminator 2: EE
Never Been Kissed
Young Guns
Reservoir Dogs
First Blood
SNL: Will Ferrel
Raising Arizona

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the roundup & Happy New Year Mike. I'll be getting Dumb & Dumber, Wedding Crashers & Stuart Little 2 at CC. When the announcement of the Stuart Littles was made I emailed Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits & he said that the original SL DE is full screen only. After I heard that I bought a copy of the original WS release from Amazon marketplace.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Happy New Year Mike...but there is nothing for me this new year so far. Now that there is no holidays to screw up the mail, I can finally order that adapter for the DS to play online.

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
Finally, a week off!
That is a smokin' (pardon the pun) deal on "Gunsmoke". Regardless, it's a really nice set.

Thanks, Mike and Patrick, and happy new year to all.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Happy New Year Mike and Patrick! Even the New Year doesn't stop you bringing us the Roundup. Thank you for your great work all year round!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Dillon*G

Second Unit
Getting Dumb and Dumber: UR and Wedding Crashers: UR. Thanks for the prices Mike and Patrick.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Just AitF S5 and Broken Flowers for me. Speaking of which, Fry's (at least the Houston stores) will have Broken Flowers for $14.99 on Tuesday.

Thanks as always to Mike & Pat for the Round-up. Happy New Year!!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks Mike for all your hard work. I don't post much in these threads but I check them religiously every Sunday.

Happy New Year and keep these deals comin'!:emoji_thumbsup:

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Happy New Year, Mike and Patrick and thanks for all the hard work!

Looks like Alien Nation this week for me. I'm still waiting for Twilight Zone season 5 to show up at my local BJ's Wholesale Club. The other TZ sets are going for 60 bucks, so hopefully iy will show up soon!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Happy New Year, Mike, Patrick and all the roundup regulars! This will be a light week for me... Just Wedding Crashers. I am still making my way through lots of TV-On-DVD (Twilight Zone: Season Five, Seinfeld: season 5 & 6, The Simpsons: Season Seven, and a couple of others) so, the light week is a good thing! :D

Julio Diaz

Stunt Coordinator
Nothing for me this week. For once!

Worth noting that the Best Buy sale doesn't seem to include ALL seasons of Gilmore Girls -- season 5 is a recent release. Target had the exact same sale last week, and had I known Best Buy were going to duplicate it, I'd have waited a week for the RZ points...

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Figures I have all these xmas Gift Cards and no one is advertising the sets I want, no one has Have Gun Will Travel Advertised. I wonder if Best Buy will even get it?

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Mike & Patrick - Thanks for all your efforts and dedication to compiling and producing the Weekly RoundUp week-in and week-out - you guys are truly appreciated.

Fry's Electronics ad prices (Southern California):
New Releases
The Cave ~ Low Price Guarantee
Broken Flowers ~ $14.99
Available Tuesday 1/03/06
Limit 1 Per Title Per Customer

Catlog Titles
The 40-Year Old Virgin
Kingdom of Heaven
War of the Worlds (2005)
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
$14.99 Each
Limit 1 Per Title Per Customer

Prices good Sun, Jan 1, 2006 thru Tues, Jan 3, 2006.

Happy New Years to all HTF'ers!!!

John Swarce

Second Unit
Thanks for the prices as always, Mike and Patrick! And a Happy New Year to all!

Only thing I am looking at is the Alien Nation set. Any reviews up for this yet? I loved this series when it aired.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks