Video Essentials or Avia?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by cabreau, Feb 4, 2004.

1. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I already have an SPL meter to calibrate my surrounds...but I want a disc that will help me calibrate the dB of the sub with the rest of my speakers. Do both of these discs do that?

2. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Yes

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If you mean, do they send a test tone to the sub, then the answer is yes.

For an informative overview of various calibration discs, consult this chapter of the HTF Beginner's FAQ and Primer.

M.

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

DVE has a problem with the subwoofer tone. It was mastered at too high of a level. Calibrating the sub to DVE will result in a weak sub calibration.

Opinions vary greatly, but anywhere from 5-10 dB off is a solid bet. While I own DVE, I cannot recommend it for subwoofer calibration in good conscience.

For more info, there is a HTF thread on the subject. If the thread is old/outdated, email Joe Kane at JKP for advice if you still want to use DVE.

The last I heard, he was recommending 75/80 for sat/sub, but several people I know found that recommendation to still be anemic, and compared to Avia it is still on the low side. The last guy I spoke with was happy with 75/87, believe it or not.

Regards,

Ed