What's new

Video Essentials or Avia? (1 Viewer)

cabreau

Second Unit
I already have an SPL meter to calibrate my surrounds...but I want a disc that will help me calibrate the dB of the sub with the rest of my speakers. Do both of these discs do that?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If you mean, do they send a test tone to the sub, then the answer is yes.

For an informative overview of various calibration discs, consult this chapter of the HTF Beginner's FAQ and Primer.

M.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
DVE has a problem with the subwoofer tone. It was mastered at too high of a level. Calibrating the sub to DVE will result in a weak sub calibration.

Opinions vary greatly, but anywhere from 5-10 dB off is a solid bet. While I own DVE, I cannot recommend it for subwoofer calibration in good conscience.

For more info, there is a HTF thread on the subject. If the thread is old/outdated, email Joe Kane at JKP for advice if you still want to use DVE.

The last I heard, he was recommending 75/80 for sat/sub, but several people I know found that recommendation to still be anemic, and compared to Avia it is still on the low side. The last guy I spoke with was happy with 75/87, believe it or not.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks