What's new

Atmos Speaker Size ? (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It has been awhile since I did a series up upgrades to my home theater set up. The speakers I previously used as my surround speakers are currently being used for Atmos height channels.

IMG_2426a.jpg

Right now I am not going to move the speaker placement till I get some new speaker wire and more importantly new speakers to match the speakers I already have. It is a given that the placement will need to change and I have not achieved good results from the two speakers being over my main speakers.

IMG_2978a.jpg

My system is a 7.2.4 and the brains is a Marantz SR-8012 receiver with Dolby Atmos, DTS-X and Auro 3D surround sound.

Main Speakers: Altec Lancing A-7's (15" woofers)
Center Channel: Klipsch RC-64 lll center channel (4 - 6 1/2" woofers)
Rear Channels: Klipsch RP-600M surround speakers (Each bookshelf has one 6 1/2" woofer)
Subwoofers : SVS Ultra PB16 16" subwoofer & HSU VTF-3 MK5HP 15" Subwoofer (Might just permanently get rid of the HSU.)

The speaker pulling Atmos / X / Auro duty are so old Advent Marbles that are indoor / outdoor two way speakers. Once they are replaced they may go on to be used in my bedroom system as surround speakers. I plan to stay with Klipsch as they are a better match for my Altec A-7's. My current dilemma is the size of the speaker to be used for Atmos duty.

Klipsch RP-500SA-ll (5.25" woofers)
Klipsch R-40SA (4" woofers)
Klipsch RP-600M (6.5" woofers) Identical match of my surrounds and same size woofers in my center channel!
Klipsch RP-500M (5.25" woofers)
Klipsch R50M (5.25" woofers)
Klipsch R40M (4" woofers)

Where ever I end up I will take my Atmos speakers with me and will not be leaving them with the house when it is sold later on down the road. So for me in ceiling speakers are not a good option. I would go with them if I was just going to leave them behind but I do not want to leave anything behind.

Interested in your feedback.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m not at all surprised the front Atmos speakers don’t perform well. They are significantly too far forward. My input on this topic tends to be soundly unwelcome, but I suggest having Atmos speakers no more than +/- 30 degrees from a single row of seating. I know that’s shallower than the official Dolby recommendation. I think their recommendation is too extreme.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey John what is your input on speaker size for the Atmos speakers themselves. Will be relocating them after I get the speakers since I will have to figure out new mounting and do not want to drill a second set of holes through the old plaster ceiling.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Atmos frequencies are normally pretty limited, so you really don’t need very large ones. If that’s what you’re asking.

Having the voicing match is kind of important, but to be honest, I'm not sure it's all that important with Atmos channels, especially if you are using a good correction system. I've been exploring it, and the sheer lack of sound from Atmos channels on most movies is a little startling. At most, it tends to be minimal atmospheric sounds.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Wondering if music content also has minimal atmospheric effect or if music content in Atmos /Auro mixes has more going on in the height channels vs movies?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wondering if music content also has minimal atmospheric effect or if music content in Atmos /Auro mixes has more going on in the height channels vs movies?
It really depends on the mix. In any case, you can manage how low the frequencies are going to them, which tends to be the main issue.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I agree with John, as I often do. I've personally found that Atmos speakers need to be closer to you than you think, and certainly closer than Dolby suggests.

I messed around with my four Atmos speakers for basically an entire weekend. It was exhausting. I tried like dozens of configurations, varying the distance of the speakers both "front and back" from the listening position and "to the sides".

In the end I settled on having my "rear" Atmos speakers on the ceiling almost directly to the side of the seating (our theatre only has two theatre recliners side-by-side), and my "front" Atmos speakers on the ceiling about two feet out in front of each seat. That configuration has given me the most "spatial" soundscape. It basically looks like this:

atmos.png

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with John, as I often do. I've personally found that Atmos speakers need to be closer to you than you think, and certainly closer than Dolby suggests.

I messed around with my four Atmos speakers for basically an entire weekend. It was exhausting. I tried like dozens of configurations, varying the distance of the speakers both "front and back" from the listening position and "to the sides".

In the end I settled on having my "rear" Atmos speakers on the ceiling almost directly to the side of the seating (our theatre only has two theatre recliners side-by-side), and my "front" Atmos speakers on the ceiling about two feet out in front of each seat. That configuration has given me the most "spatial" soundscape. It basically looks like this:

View attachment 197549
You've emboldened me, because what I would suggest trying as a starting point is the front Atmos speakers 15-20 degrees forward, and the rear ones 5-10 degrees back, with single row seating, but if I did that I know the pitchforks would come out big time.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I gotta wonder if it doesn't depend some on how high one's ceiling is (besides other environmental factors).

I haven't really dug much into it since I didn't end up going thru w/ an Atmos setup (so far), but I haven't heard (much of) any mentions of ceiling height. I imagine that could influence ideal placement of those speakers in the ceiling (as might also the particular qualities of the ceiling... as the ceiling is acting as a very large baffle (and maybe also enclosure in many cases) afterall, and any needed angling of the drivers will be further affected by that... and any proximity to side/rear walls).

_Man_

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Update: November 10th, 2023

I decided to get two pair of Klipsch RP-600 M's which are the exact same speakers I am using for surround channels. I want to be able to play Atmos mixed music or Auro mixed music in the near future. I will most likely use the system more for music but I want to be able to play music as well.

So here is my updated question regarding my Atmos speakers as far as is there any suggestions on mounting brackets for the ceiling? I am searching sites for brackets but if anyone knows of a bracket that I can use that I do not need to drill into the cabinets that would be great. Any suggestions on high quality brackets that attach to the ceiling would be appreciated.

Rough idea of the room layout

floor plan 1a.jpg

Going to start reading up more on placement to get the locations dialed in. I did not do a good job of putting in my research earlier and I plan to correct this.

Thank you John for your input as it is very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks