What's new

Noob. Surround with no receiver possible and what speakers? (1 Viewer)

boberoni

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron
Hey all,

I'm back. I posted back in 2021 for help but never followed thru. Ran into some health issues and got side tracked. If you search my username you will see that thread. Anyway....

I am looking to get surround sound hooked up to our basement tv for watching movies. Almost 100% streaming of movies/music with the occasional Blu-Ray. I don't want a receiver if it's possible to get away without one. Budget $1000. Currently have a pair of DCM Timeframe 600 speakers I could use if need be but not necessary.

Someone at work suggested a sony HT S2000 soundbar, SA-SW3 200w subwoofer and SA-RS3S rear speakers from best buy that are wireless.

Total comes to $850. Not really sure I want a soundbar in place of a center and front speakers but again not sure what I can get away with by not getting a receiver.

Would appreciate your all's advice!

Thanks,
Ron

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hey all,

I'm back. I posted back in 2021 for help but never followed thru. Ran into some health issues and got side tracked. If you search my username you will see that thread. Anyway....

I am looking to get surround sound hooked up to our basement tv for watching movies. Almost 100% streaming of movies/music with the occasional Blu-Ray. I don't want a receiver if it's possible to get away without one. Budget $1000. Currently have a pair of DCM Timeframe 600 speakers I could use if need be but not necessary.

Someone at work suggested a sony HT S2000 soundbar, SA-SW3 200w subwoofer and SA-RS3S rear speakers from best buy that are wireless.

Total comes to $850. Not really sure I want a soundbar in place of a center and front speakers but again not sure what I can get away with by not getting a receiver.

Would appreciate your all's advice!

Thanks,
Ron
It's receiver or soundbar. There's no half way in that regard. Regular speakers require a receiver. I guess my question is, why are you opposed to a receiver? Wireless speakers are mostly closed systems, like the Sony. Of course, I hope you realize they still have to be connected to power, unless they're battery powered, which will be an enormous headache. And, Atmos in a soundbar is 99% marketing. I would not make that a priority.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

boberoni

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron
Thank you all for your responses. Ok so I guess I'd go with the receiver then. It's not so much that I am against it, its just that I don't think I will reap the benefits of what a receiver can do. I think I would prefer the front/center over soundbar. We only use the downstairs tv for streaming movies and music, and not that often. Thanks again I'll be looking into all the products that were posted.

Thanks,
Ron

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And don't worry about using a receiver for a less than maximum surround system. I use one in my bedroom for a 3.1 setup.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
And don't worry about using a receiver for a less than maximum surround system. I use one in my bedroom for a 3.1 setup.
To add on to what John said, you could also start with the Denon S670, upgrade the towers to the T5's (extra $30 each), get the center C5, and start with a nice 3.0 system (the T5's, which I own, have very good bass response) for under $900 not including cables, then add-on a sub and surrounds later on.

boberoni

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron
Hey y'all,

So gotta couple questions and a change in $$$$. First, gonna up my limit to $1500. Second, how much better is 7.1 vs. 5.1? Also this system will be predominately used for HT (mostly streaming, occasional blueray, and maybe a gaming console hooked up to it)if that makes a difference. As mentioned above I have some DCM TImeFrame 600 speakers. Could I utilize these as FR and FL? If I shouldn't, no big deal. Also I'd like to purchase everything I need at once. I don't see myself upgrading or anything for many, many years, if at all. It's not a money thing, I just don't want to spend more than $1500.

So not sure how much that changes above suggestions but would appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks,
Ron

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Hey y'all,

So gotta couple questions and a change in $$$$. First, gonna up my limit to $1500. Second, how much better is 7.1 vs. 5.1? Also this system will be predominately used for HT (mostly streaming, occasional blueray, and maybe a gaming console hooked up to it)if that makes a difference. As mentioned above I have some DCM TImeFrame 600 speakers. Could I utilize these as FR and FL? If I shouldn't, no big deal. Also I'd like to purchase everything I need at once. I don't see myself upgrading or anything for many, many years, if at all. It's not a money thing, I just don't want to spend more than $1500.

So not sure how much that changes above suggestions but would appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks,
Ron
I would go with the receiver from Option #2 and the speakers from Option #1 and double the order on the bookshelf B4's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks