What's new

Calibrating LCD TV's Hue and Saturation (1 Viewer)

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
I did a bit of Googling and searching here and didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. Pardon me if it has been answered before.

I just upgraded my old Panasonic rear projection CRT HDTV to a Sharp LCD. I have the old Video Essentials DVD that I used to calibrate my old TV. In Video Essentials some of the parameters were set by observing "blooming" but I'm guessing that an LCD won't exhibit that behavior.

I calibrated the color on my old TV using Video Essentials to help me set the color and tint parameters and using the single color filter. But, my new Sharp LCD has separate sliders for hue and saturation for each of six colors.

If I buy Avia II or Digital Video Essentials, will they help me adjust my LCD TV without looking for blooming, and will they help me adjust the different colors' sliders for hue and saturation?

Which do people prefer, Avia II or Digital Video Essentials? Personally I find the menu navigation in the original Video Essentials to be painful. Do I want Avia II?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Use the blue filter for setting color and tint.

You can try the other filters for setting the other colors...but it will not work well. The blue filter may also not work well.

There are 2 things going on here....
1. the underlying gray scale needs to be set first.
2. the filters will most likely not match the displays color intensity so there will be inherent errors. It is best to do CMS (color management systems) with a spectro based device.

Gregg

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The blooming and needle bending tests pertain only to CRT based TV's. For those you need to turn down the contrast and do all the other calibrations around the lower contrast. For other kinds of TV's other than plasmas*, you can set the contrast anywhere you want but you should still try to get all the steps in the gray scale test pattern to be distinguishable. Calibrations will differ (starting with lower contrast) for dark room viewing compared with a room with windows unshaded in daytime.

The "hue" test pattern and the tint control is meant for NTSC analog video signals. You may find that you have to go back and forth (making settings iteratively) between adjusting the tint control for composite or S video and adjusting the red, green, and blue gain controls for component video and HDMI video signals and still end up having to use a midway compromise of sorts.

Video hints: Video Technicalia Made Easy

*Plasmas and direct view CRT's should have contrast set no higher than halfway. Projection CRT should have contrast set no higher than a third.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks