What's new

'THX Optimizer' question..? (1 Viewer)

julezberg

Agent
Real Name
Ian
Is there a reference level for the volume to calibrate the audio? Should i have the levels all set to 0db first? And what db reading should i be looking for on my SPL meter to calibrate to? And should i even be using the 'THX Optimizer' to calibrate audio/video?

I plan on getting the 'Avia II Disc' and 'Digital Video Essentials- Blu-Ray calibration Disc' (are these good choices, and necessary to have both??) soon, but i found the thx optimizer on my Indiana Jones dvd's and figured thx optimizer is better than nothing until i get the others. Is it??

Oh, and i DID do a search first and read through everything but found nothing on reference levels (for thx optimizer).

Thanks in advance.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

No problem.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

julezberg

Agent
Real Name
Ian
Thanks for the response David, but i'm still a little confused...

My question now is, to get the speakers to 75db do i set say the center speaker at 0db and turn up the main volume control until the SPL reads 75db for that speaker (center), and then calibrate each of the other speakers to 75db based off of that center speaker (which is at 0db still)?...sorry for the noobiness.

Also....so the 'DVE: Blu-ray calibration disc' includes the whole audio calibration process as well? i though it was just for blu-ray/hi-def video.

thanks.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What brand and model is your AVR?

Generally, you try to get each speaker to 75db by using the test tones. While the tone is playing, adjust the trim (+/- control for each speaker) up or down to get the correct volume. Do this for each speaker. When done, each speaker will be the same loudness. The reason we use 75db is because that is normally what the AVR MFG designed the tones for.

The DVE disc has both video and audio calibration. The first couple chapters are video, and a few at the end are audio. All the tests from the first disc (the DVD version) are there.

julezberg

Agent
Real Name
Ian
I have a Yamaha HTR-5840 receiver.

I think i figured it out.

And the DVE disc has both video and audio...GREAT! Can't wait to get that.

Thanks for the help David!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertigofilmfanman
Recent bookmarks