What's new

just got a new tv...again (1 Viewer)

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
after buying and returning more than one television i finally wound up with the new LG 37LH20 model.

it's a step up in size from the 32 inch i had but is 720 and not 1080. the picture is fine for me but my question is this:

it has a calibration program sort of like avia or video essentials but not as detailed. my concern is after i calibrate it the contrast setting is up around 90. the back light is at 50 and the others according to the calibration program are close to the middle.

as i said the picture is fine but i'm concerned about the contrast being set so high at 90. is that normal?

i have the avia calibration disk and will try it this weekend and do a comparison test.

thanks,

william

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

Sounds fine to me. There are two ways of controlling the overall light output of the set--increasing or decreasing the backlight brightness and increasing or decreasing the contrast setting. A dimmer backlight setting of about 50 enhances the contrast ratio--less light for the pixels to block when they're supposed to be black. The high contrast setting is giving you truer whites, and on an lcd set will cause no burn-in or premature dimming as it might with a phosphor based (plasma or crt) display.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
The contrast should be up as high as possible without clipping of the white signal. At that point you can consider lowering a bit if eye fatigue develops.

Depending on the black light....leave the contrast up and adjust the backlight for eye fatigue and daytime vs night time viewing.

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks