What's new

AVIA or Video Essentials (1 Viewer)

tremojem

Agent
Real Name
Paraden Nakaneer
I am waiting for a year to bring in a professional to calibrate my Pioneer Pro-111FD per the salesman recommendation. So I was looking for a quick way to take a look at the proper settings for my display using a set-up disc...anyone out there have any suggestions about the choices above, thanks?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
A year? That sounds way too long to me. I have the DVE-HD combo disc, and I do not recommend it. After listening to the disc and reading on their website, I still can't figure it out.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I've used a couple of different versions of Video Essentials, as well as the original Avia Guide to Home Theater. I never had a problem with VE, but I know a lot of people who have found it confusing. Many of these folks prefer Avia. Avia II, which I haven't tried, is reportedly even more user-friendly.

Either will get you what you need, so ultimately it comes down to personal preference. You might want to rent so you can try before you buy. (Since it is a good idea to recalibrate periodically, it does make sense to own a copy of one of the calibration discs. Also if you're like most of us, you will become the de facto HT guru for your friends, and you'll end up calibrating a lot of their sets, as well. ;))

Do you have a Blu Ray player? I know DVE has a Blu Ray version, but I'm not sure about Avia - so that could also be a factor for you.

I'm also dubious about the salesman's advice that you wait a year before getting your set professionally calibrated. I've asked Gregg Loewen of Lion Audio-Video Consultants (who also happens to be one of the moderators of this forum) what his recommendations are.

Regards,

Joe

tremojem

Agent
Real Name
Paraden Nakaneer
Thank you for your helpful responses. 150 hours is the recommended break-in per ISF. I love the idea of renting the DVE...super, thanks. After I master it I can buy it then re-use it when necessary.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
100 - 150 hours is fine for a professional calibration.
DVE can be used immediately.
At 1 years time it should be recalibrated professionally.

tremojem

Agent
Real Name
Paraden Nakaneer
Hey Gregg, nice to hear from you. So if I get my Pioneer Pro-111FD professionally calibrated at 150hrs do I need to re-calibrate at 1 year? Aside from the earlier question, how often do you need to professionally calibrate displays? Hear is a real good question for you...how far off are these units from a professional calibration and how much difference would I really see? I am not looking to see if this is necessary or not, I think it is, it is just that I love this display and can't wait for increased performance after the professional calibration is complete and I realize one bad setting can make a huge difference, I just want to know from your experience, what is the difference from out of the box and what level of improvement I can realize. Also, there are many ISF professionals available in my area...how do I pick one...by test equipment listed, years experience, etc.? Thanks Gregg.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks