What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

TV on DVD news roundup (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Well... they don't have all the numbers because they don't ask "hardcore collectors." I consider myself in that group based on the size of the collection and number of titles I purchase on a regular basis. I very rarely purchase MOD releases. IIRC I have 3 out of a collection of over 550 *series* which means *thousands* of seasons. The main reason I don't own more is that I refuse to pay the exorbitant price asked for these type of releases.

I'm sure the number crunchers at the home video divisions of Warner, Universal, etc ..., know that not every hardcore type is on board with dvd-mod (or bluray-mod). All that matters is "enough" hardcore folks are willing to buy dvd-mod releases at premium prices. (ie. The mod abstainers are not likely coming back).

I wouldn't be surprised if the first several batches of tv on dvd-mod releases almost a decade ago, were basically "trial balloons" to see what fraction of folks were willing to buy dvd-mod. Further tv on dvd-mod releases of shows which started off originally as wide mass market pressed dvd discs, likely provided more data of the % dropoff when the show went dvd-mod only.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
My only gripe is the price. And you can't wait for a sale because the price doesn't generally come down on them.

(On a tangent).

I get the impression dvd-mod (and bluray-mod) prices frequently remain skyhigh for very long periods of time. Basically rarely ever becoming dumpbin fodder.

Back in the day, I've read that new releases of music cds were highly dependent on first week to first month sales. After that first week to first month, sales typically fell to a trickle.

I suspected something similar might also be happening with dvds and blurays, where that premium skyhigh price only really lasts the first few months or so after release. As to why particular titles end up in the dumpbin after a year or two, I don't have much insight into this. (My guess is that distributors are showing their hand, and dictating how much "old" inventory they're willing to carry and the pricing).

Though in the case of dvd-mod and bluray-mod, I suspect the movie companies don't have to deal with large distribution networks dictating terms.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For DVD, there is no difference.

The other big thing aspect I view about dvd-mod vs wide market pressed dvd releases, is how something being released dvd-mod has a nasty perception of being a vote of "low confidence" in their own product. I don't know whether this is actally the truth, but unfortunately this has been my perception of it for over a decade.

Basically similar to the concept of "signalling" in economics.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Aw, sonofabitch, they dumped B99 on MOD instead of licensing it out.

Well, looks like the physical collection ends for me at S6, Because a 13 episode season is nowhere near worth 35 bucks.

Lets make a "dead pool" of what might go dvd-mod. :)

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
This may have been discussed already but has anyone pre-ordered the upcoming Shout release of Northern Exposure the complete Series? The price seems pretty fair at $0.44 per episode.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
I'm waiting on word about music - replaced or not - before deciding.

The listing on the Shout! website has the following disclaimer:

Note: Music may differ from Original Broadcast Version.

Suffice it to say this is likely a straight re-release of the Universal complete series.

Check out the comments in the Shout! listing, people are really giving it to them :D

Why bother re-releasing this series if you won't/cannot release it with the original music intact?!

Northern Exposure: The Complete Series

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I'm waiting on word about music - replaced or not - before deciding.
I've got some used copies of the first five season but still might order it to have a clean copy. I don't know much about the history of the releases but maybe the picture and sound would be cleaned up a little.

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The listing on the Shout! website has the following disclaimer:

Suffice it to say this is likely a straight re-release of the Universal complete series.

Check out the comments in the Shout! listing, people are really giving it to them :D

Why bother re-releasing this series if you won't/cannot release it with the original music intact?!

Northern Exposure: The Complete Series

It's disappointing they still can't get it right.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Flashgear, do you think Mill Creek might ever resume doing cartoons? There were a few Filmation cartoons that they didn't get around to releasing. US of Archie was one . . . . There were a few others, perhaps they could work on the Kids from CAPER, finish up Sid and Marty Kroft, etc?

Andy Mangels could use the work. I think he would enjoy doing extras on all unreleased cartoon and kid series from the sixties and seventies.

--jthree

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks