What's new

TV on DVD news roundup (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I wonder if they'll do the same for Newhart?

Seems like three discs per season was the norm for Newhart on DVD, so if they were willing to double up the content for each individual DVD case in the set (i.e., package seasons 1 and 2 together in a single 6 disc case), it would only require a four case set.

Whatever form it could take, it would be nice for me if it happened since I only ever bought season 1. I suspect I'd save quite a chunk of change judging by the ~$25 per season prices that the individual Shout Factory season releases go for on Amazon.

Hopefully they'll resist the temptation to cheapen out on their packaging, unlike the path that CBS, Universal, and probably others have gone down.

I'm in the process of moving a lot of my large complete series DVD sets to a disc binder just because of how awful the cases then to be, with my Shout Factory complete series sets like Green Acres being some of the very few exceptions that will remain in their original cases.
While I know in most cases either six to eight half-hours or up to four one-hours is recommended for best picture quality per disc, I wonder what the minimum number of such episodes is?

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I wonder if they'll do the same for Newhart?

Seems like three discs per season was the norm for Newhart on DVD, so if they were willing to double up the content for each individual DVD case in the set (i.e., package seasons 1 and 2 together in a single 6 disc case), it would only require a four case set.

As was done on Barney Miller?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
For both The Bob Newhart Show and Newhart I am only missing their last two seasons, so it is a question of re-buying identical copies of content I already own.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The original Shout! release has 19 discs.

Hopefully this bonus disc is not dropped as a cost cutting measure, in this upcoming re-relese.

Hmmm .... The current amazon listing for this upcoming Sept 29, 2020 re-release of the Bob Newhart Show, mentions it being an 18 disc set.

If this ends up being the case, then they might be dropping the bonus disc.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Do to Covid, we have lost access to the USA. Because of this, I am attempting to buy things on my Amazon.com wish list here in Canada, although the price is sometimes double or triple on Amazon.ca. I collect all the season blu rays of "Fear The Walking Dead". Imagine my surprise when I discovered season 5 is only available on DVD on A.ca! Why would that be? I can order the blus from the US directly, but that is over $50.00. The same is true for Walmart Canada.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
More generally, I have to wonder if it is only really the hardcore folks who are willing to consistently buy the dvd-mod releases.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I'm guessing if Universal (and other movie companies) are able to figure out that it is only the hardcore folks who are consistently buying the tv season sets, then they're betting dvd-mod is "good enough".

The question is how exactly are they figuring this out.

From an outsider's perspective, I'm guessing the first step is they would look at how many inventory returns they are getting back, compared to how many copies were actually sold pos in the first few months after release (such as at wallyworld, bestbuy, target, amazon, etc ...).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well... they don't have all the numbers because they don't ask "hardcore collectors." I consider myself in that group based on the size of the collection and number of titles I purchase on a regular basis. I very rarely purchase MOD releases. IIRC I have 3 out of a collection of over 550 *series* which means *thousands* of seasons. The main reason I don't own more is that I refuse to pay the exorbitant price asked for these type of releases. Most rarely, if ever, go "on sale" and when they do it's typically at a price I'd expect it to sell for every day. The few I own went "on sale" at a price I was willing to pay.

And it's the same for movies on MOD. I've seen *pressed* titles go OOP (often selling for bargain prices in the process) and a few months later become a MOD at a price higher than the former MSRP for the pressed version. I've read nothing that proves to me such a pricing structure is justified.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Thinking about it more).

In principle, they also might be able to figure out approximately how many copies were stolen or slipping through the cracks via shoplifting/theft (ie. the discrepancy between the pos numbers + the number of copies returned, compared to how many copies they originally shipped out).

I don't have any insight into which types of dvd (or bluray) titles are stolen more frequently, and whether it correlates to the hardcore or non-hardcore types. (Over the years I have seen many dumpbin playstation and xbox titles where only the packaging was left over, after the discs were already stolen).

Also they can see how many illegal bootleg versions show up on places like ebay, amazon, etc .... or just googling in general.

For the latter case of illegal bootlegs, it might mean that enough non-hardcore folks might be fooled into buying such illicit copies unknowingly. Especially if the illegal stuff is released slightly earlier than the official release date of the real version, where non-hardcore folks might not be fully aware of the official release dates.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Do people still think MOD is inferior? WHY?
Or is that just their uninformed bias.

For DVD, there is no difference.

Regardless of the technical differences between dvd-r mod and pressed dvd discs and their purported (or imagined) longevity, I am not willing to "suspend disbelief" on this issue.

I will admit outright that I am extremely "brain damaged" on this issue. I am also very proud that I have an extreme prejudice against mod type releases. ;)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
@David Weicker

(With all that being said).

My reasons for such extreme prejudice are much more utilitarian/pragmatic, which is completely unrelated to the actual content of such discs.

Over the past half decade or so, I've been using a "jedi mindfuck" of "dvd-mod only = no sale" largely as a convoluted way of restricting my extreme ocd mentality of "impulse buying" and "compulsive completionist" collecting of dvds and blurays. My irrational prejudice against dvd-mod (and bluray-mod) is a vital underlying foundation of this coping mechanism.

Anti-ocd, anti-anxiety, etc ... type drugs have been completely ineffective at solving any of my extreme ocd problems.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
There is a difference. The MODs don't seem to get disc rot!

So far.

The dvd-r discs I've had over the years which failed, frequently were ones made after 2010. Typically they failed entirely and completely, where the computer could not even read the table-of-contents from such failed discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks