What's new

TV on DVD news roundup (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I never quite understood why Lucifer ended up being released on bluray. On the surface it seems like a rather generic cop show, superimposed with the "satan" thing.

The only semi-plausible reason I can think of offhand, is there's probably enough hardcore comic book folks buying it on bluray. (Lucifer was originally published on a DC comics sublabel Virtigo).

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
If one is using some adblocker extensions on FF or chrome, links to facebook will not show up at all and the post will appear completely blank.

I usually also put a hard coded link to the facebook pages of this type, to get around this "blank post" problem.

May 15, 2020 tvshowsondvd news.
I disabled them all and the warning still shows... I believe it is the new software here that is causing this all to break.

~Ben

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I disabled them all and the warning still shows... I believe it is the new software here that is causing this all to break.

~Ben

In another thread on here, this "blank post" issue was confirmed to be a property of the new software by one of the admins.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Do you think this new Bob Newhart Show release will have the six seasons' worth condensed into two cases with three seasons apiece, as opposed to the three cases w/two apiece of before?

Offhand I don't remember how many discs was in the complete series set.

If it is less than 24/25 discs, then I wouldn't be surprised if Shout uses those giant 24/25 discs cases like Paramount/CBS,.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

If it is less than 24/25 discs, then I wouldn't be surprised if Shout uses those giant 24/25 discs cases like Paramount/CBS,.

18 discs, IIRC.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Shout was able to restore more of the original music for Northern Exposure? I refused to buy the butchered versions that were released eons ago. I'd love to have this series as it was one of my very favorites, but I don't want butchered versions. Anyone heard anything? I'm guessing in this day and age, these are just ports over from the original Universal releases.

Yet another example of why I hold on the my off-air recordings of shows from the networks. Northern Exposure, Wonder Years, every Stephen Cannell series, Alf, etc,, etc.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

18 discs, IIRC.
The original Shout! release has 19 discs.

Since this is a rerelease I'd expect it to be packaged the same as before. At the worst, 2 seasons per case. I don't think Shout! has ever used a Megapak case.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Since this is a rerelease I'd expect it to be packaged the same as before. At the worst, 2 seasons per case. I don't think Shout! has ever used a Megapak case.

Correct! I totally forgot about the bonus disc.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

Perhaps similar to how Warner released the complete series dvd set of The Big Bang Theory, with four cases which held 9-10 discs per case.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Correct! I totally forgot about the bonus disc.

Hopefully this bonus disc is not dropped as a cost cutting measure, in this upcoming re-relese.

More generally in the case of Shout Factory and other smaller movie companies, I suspect such a re-release has to do with running out of the old inventory. The probably means new discs + packaging have to be manufactured.

The question is whether a packaging re-design is less expensive than the old packaging, and is worthwhile to do. For example, is a 24-disc giant case less expensive than six individual 3-disc cases? (ie. In comparison to possible returns from unplayable scratched discs in multidisc sets using 24-discs giant cases?)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I wonder if they'll do the same for Newhart?

Seems like three discs per season was the norm for Newhart on DVD, so if they were willing to double up the content for each individual DVD case in the set (i.e., package seasons 1 and 2 together in a single 6 disc case), it would only require a four case set.

Whatever form it could take, it would be nice for me if it happened since I only ever bought season 1. I suspect I'd save quite a chunk of change judging by the ~$25 per season prices that the individual Shout Factory season releases go for on Amazon.

Hopefully they'll resist the temptation to cheapen out on their packaging, unlike the path that CBS, Universal, and probably others have gone down.

I'm in the process of moving a lot of my large complete series DVD sets to a disc binder just because of how awful the cases then to be, with my Shout Factory complete series sets like Green Acres being some of the very few exceptions that will remain in their original cases.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks