LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Last I looked, the syndication bible didn't show that HD transfers were available for season 11. So it will be interesting to see if it's remastered or if they're now repeating what they tried once with season 2 where they cheapened out and used existing tape transfers.

Edit: The text description sounds promising.

"Digitally remastered and restored from original 35mm film material for superior picture and sound."

So I suspect Bonanza fans don't need to be worried.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
Candy has an unlikely romance in "The Stalker."
Well, now my imagination is running amok. :lol:

There are gems galore in this 12-episode set. Little Joe perfects social distancing in the riveting story, "A Matter of Circumstance."
Heh! :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Flashgear, do you think Mill Creek might ever resume doing cartoons? There were a few Filmation cartoons that they didn't get around to releasing. US of Archie was one . . . . There were a few others, perhaps they could work on the Kids from CAPER, finish up Sid and Marty Kroft, etc?

Andy Mangels could use the work. I think he would enjoy doing extras on all unreleased cartoon and kid series from the sixties and seventies.

--jthree
I believe Andy Mangels wrote something back in the day when the "Archie's Funhouse" set came out, that he had written a booklet explaining about its contents -- it was a complicated release, combining elements of "Archie's Funhouse" and "The Archie Comedy Hour," the latter of which apparently doesn't exist in complete form -- not only were the one-hour shows cut into half-hours, some ending up as part of "Sabrina The Teenage Witch," but 90% of the song segments in the shows were lost. IIRC, they didn't even have every episode, and only a mute film print of the original show opening existed.

Anyway, he said due to cutbacks, they didn't include the booklet with the DVD set and he couldn't put the text on line because the distributor owned the rights to it. Furthermore, there would be no further DVD releases of the Archie series. Apparently they didn't sell well enough to finish them.

So this left "U.S. Of Archie" and "Archie's TV Funnies" (which really only featured the Archie gang in wraparounds) unreleased apart from four episodes of each which were included in an earlier set of DVDs offered through Archie Comics in the early 2000s.

"The New Archie/Sabrina Hour" did get released in Australia, in the form of re-edited half-hours under the title "The Archie And Sabrina Surprise Package" (apparently a title created for later cable TV reruns -- the series premiered too late to be part of the 1976 "The Archies" U.S. syndicated series). The songs are missing from these too.

So I also would like to see the rest of these Archie shows released, and if they somehow ever are, count me in.

By the way -- speaking of the 1976 "The Archies" syndicated rerun package -- it combined "Archie," "The Archie Comedy Hour" (cut into half-hours), "Archie's Funhouse," "Archie's TV Funnies," and "The U.S. Of Archie" (which the trade ads promoted as "educational" to entice stations to pick the series up to make points with the FCC).

The shows all had the same intro, a re-edited and redubbed version of the "Archie's Funhouse" intro but with new audio (it had a new theme song). The shows had their original closings but with an instrumental song dubbed over them as well.

What's bizarre is, most of the songs were present in these shows, but the ones from the second season ("The Archie Comedy Hour") for some reason used the picture elements but replaced the audio with new songs with "spoken" lyrics performed by Dallas McKennon (the cartoon voice of Archie). Why they did this is a complete mystery. And all this stuff created for the syndicated series, as far as I know, is lost, unless someone taped it when it was on. (I have read that these songs were released on an album, which is very rare today.)

Reactions: JamesSmith

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Anyway, he said due to cutbacks, they didn't include the booklet with the DVD set and he couldn't put the text on line because the distributor owned the rights to it.
How does a DVD distributor own rights to the text of a booklet?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
How does a DVD distributor own rights to the text of a booklet?
Well, you'd have to ask the author, but (assuming I am remembering this correctly) I guess it was written "for hire" for use in a DVD project released by the company (Genius Entertainment IIRC).

Reactions: bmasters9

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Speaking of "Knots Landing"......the newest update on the petition for the remaining seasons to be released on DVD......up to 1,471 signers!! Warner.....come on......get the seasons that the fans want.....we already have Seasons 1 and 2!!!

https://www.change.org/p/warner-brothers-complete-the-knots-landing-dvd-series-seasons-3-14
And as Benny Hill once noted:
"I've seen those American soap operas! I've seen their Dy-nasty, and their Flaming-o Road!...AND I've seen their Knots Landing!"

• Haha
Reactions: mrz7

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
Mark, I'm glad you can recall the specifics. I really wish somebody, somewhere could finish up the the sixties, seventies, and early eighties unreleased cartoons. Even things like Super President, the Mighty Heroes, the Reluctant Dragon, the Curiosity Shop, etc.

I'm just a nostalgic fool.
--jthree

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Do you think that when Bonanza is done (assuming it is, which I believe will be the case soon; I may be incorrect), CBS will put out a condensed all-in-one akin to their monster Gunsmoke release?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Do you think that when Bonanza is done (assuming it is, which I believe will be the case soon; I may be incorrect), CBS will put out a condensed all-in-one akin to their monster Gunsmoke release?
If ViacomCBS still has tons of old invenstry of Bonanza dvd discs collecting dust in their warehouses, then most likely.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16