What's new

TV on DVD news roundup (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, we don’t have TSOD on a daily basis anymore, but they do come around once a week.
And, here’s their latest update

A lot of shows announced in a week. A massive Fox dump… a disappointingly large MoD Fox dump.
I guess someone can post this link weekly for those who don’t do Facebook (like me, actually), or if anyone comes across some interesting release news, throw it here for all to marvel at.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Well, we don't have TSOD on a daily basis anymore, but they do come around once a week.

And, here's their latest update

https://www.facebook.com/tvshowsondvd/posts/10156218795366063

A lot of shows announced in a week. A massive Fox dump... a disappointingly large MoD Fox dump.

I guess someone can post this link weekly for those who don't do Facebook (like me, actually), or if anyone comes across some interesting release news, throw it here for all to marvel at.

Thanks for posting the link. Boy, do I miss the website. I can count on 1 hand the websites I visit on a daily basis, and tvshowsondvd.com was one of them. Looking at that list, does FOX even do non-MOD releases anymore? And are they available somewhere else besides Amazon? Just curious about the possibility of being able to get pressed discs vs non.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for posting the link. Boy, do I miss the website. I can count on 1 hand the websites I visit on a daily basis, and tvshowsondvd.com was one of them. Looking at that list, does FOX even do non-MOD releases anymore? And are they available somewhere else besides Amazon? Just curious about the possibility of being able to get pressed discs vs non.

As far as I know, Fox's MoDs are all burned, not pressed.

But then, I got a copy of Bob's Burgers season 5 that was pressed for some reason after 2-4 were burned and 5 was listed as MoD, so I can't say with any certainty just what they'll do.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
^Reports are it was the same with the Daniel Boone Complete Series release from FOX. People getting pressed instead of burned...

True, my Daniel Boone from Fox is "pressed" not "burned" even though stated as MOD. I think they purposely keep the terminology a bit open-ended for flexibility. In one case, they may see a cost benefit in doing an initial run of pressed then moving to burned, in another case they may start with burned, but in neither case do they want the consumer to assume pressed. From what I read, whether pressed or burned, MOD can still hold true since the company doing the manufacturing and fulfilling of the orders may not actually assemble the sets until an order is placed (i.e., still Made on Demand even when pressed).

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
As far as I know, Fox's MoDs are all burned, not pressed.

But then, I got a copy of Bob's Burgers season 5 that was pressed for some reason after 2-4 were burned and 5 was listed as MoD, so I can't say with any certainty just what they'll do.

Yeah, it's very odd as to what you may get. With Last Man Standing, I received pressed for seasons 1 & 2, but burned for seasons 3 & 4; ordered them all at the same time.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
MOD means manufactured on demand. Meaning that they are made in small quantities and more are made as needed. These discs can be either pressed or DVD-R depending on what the studio decides. MOD does not mean DVD-R or BD-R. There is still a lot of confusion on this since the beginning of mod programs. This comes from the fact that for the 1st two years of MOD they were exclusively DVD-R. There are still many on facebook sites that believe Warner Archive Blu Rays are BD-R. They have never released a BD-R.

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
Any word on Warner Archive's July releases?

Hoping for more Alice, Step by Step, Perfect Strangers, Or Hangin' with Mr. Cooper.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Any word on Warner Archive's July releases?

Hoping for more Alice, Step by Step, Perfect Strangers, Or Hangin' with Mr. Cooper.

July releases have been posted:

Alice- Season 7

Knots Landing- Season 1 re-release
La Femme Nikita- Season 1 re-release
The Bill Engvall Show- Season 1 re-release

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Season 2 of "The Smurfs" would be beyond awesome....but it's never gonna happen.

Why do you say it will never happen- curious?!

I don't understand what is going on with this show, why have they not released any more seasons?! This was a very popular series and I thought with season 1 being re-released in one collection (instead of the volume crap they originally released), this might spur releases of more seasons but nothing has happened?! Why doesn't WB pass this off to Warner Archive, I am sure they would release the remaining seasons if this show were under their domain instead of being stuck in purgatory with Warner Home Video.

I cannot believe we have all seasons of The Snorks released but only one season of The Smurfs??

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
July releases have been posted:

Alice- Season 7

Knots Landing- Season 1 re-release
La Femme Nikita- Season 1 re-release
The Bill Engvall Show- Season 1 re-release

Very disappointing. It seems with the three re-releases WB Archives might be preparing them for for further seasons down the road. I'll bet that Alice will be done by November.

James

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Very disappointing. It seems with the three re-releases WB Archives might be preparing them for for further seasons down the road. I'll bet that Alice will be done by November.

James

IIRC, the Engvall show has already been released completely on DVD, and the Archives may have originally released the second season anyway.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Can't quite understand why we would need a re-release of "Knots Landing" Season 1 on MOD when it was originally released at retail on pressed discs? Just get seasons 3-14 out please Warner!!!! So frustrating!!!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Well. . . . I think VEI will release Evening Shade and Promised Land later this year. I also think that VEI will turn to other short lived Paramount releases in the next year like Jake 2.0 and John Doe. Hopefully VEI may take up the slack that we're seeing on other levels. News is so slow.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks