What's new

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I have to wonder about that statement on the "Northern Exposure" Season 3 back cover that it includes "unexposed footage." Really? It includes pieces of never shot film left over in the original canisters?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Heh. Kino is re-releasing Wild Palms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Palms

I remember seeing it back in the day, and being completely disappointed when it didn't have that "cyberpunk" look and the storyline was difficult to follow. (It even had a cameo appearance of then-famous cyberpunk author William Gibson).

I watched it again in more recent times, paying more attention to the storyline. That's when I realized it was a subversive parody of quasi-religious style organaizations which have too much power/control in society. Very "cyberpunk-ish" in concept, without any Blade Runner style imagery.

Other than some new commentaries, it is not obvious what else is new in this Kino special edition. In the bluray version, did MGM do a new hd (or higher) resolution transfer? Or is it just a dumb 480i sd ntsc -> 1080p hd upscaling with a dumb static 4:3 -> 16:9 cropping ?

Wild Palms doesn’t have a prior Blu-Ray release.

MGM did put out a DVD version fifteen years ago.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
MGM did put out a DVD version fifteen years ago.

I had this version, which I found in a local dump bin for $5 a few years ago.

It reflected an older transfer which looked like it didn't have any restoration done at all. Possibly the same old transfers used for the original broadcasts from 25+ years ago.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I wonder if Shout was able to restore more of the original music for Northern Exposure? I refused to buy the butchered versions that were released eons ago. I'd love to have this series as it was one of my very favorites, but I don't want butchered versions. Anyone heard anything? I'm guessing in this day and age, these are just ports over from the original Universal releases.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have to wonder about that statement on the "Northern Exposure" Season 3 back cover that it includes "unexposed footage." Really? It includes pieces of never shot film left over in the original canisters?

According to this DVD Talk review of that third-season Northern Exposure release (written for the original double-sided edition), "unexposed footage" means "a few funny gag reels where people forget their lines or start to laugh."

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
According to this DVD Talk review of that third-season Northern Exposure release (written for the original double-sided edition), "unexposed footage" means "a few funny gag reels where people forget their lines or start to laugh."

You'd think that people in the film industry would know terminology better. Even gag reels are made up of exposed film. Unexposed film means literally that there is no image on it because it hasn't been exposed to light. Having been a photographer shooting on film during 20 years of my career before it all went digital, I always had lots of film unexposed in the canisters in the refrigerator or freezer. Before use, I defrost the film, load it in the camera and, well, expose it in the course of taking pictures.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
You'd think that people in the film industry would know terminology better. Even gag reels are made up of exposed film. Unexposed film means literally that there is no image on it because it hasn't been exposed to light. Having been a photographer shooting on film during 20 years of my career before it all went digital, I always had lots of film unexposed in the canisters in the refrigerator or freezer. Before use, I defrost the film, load it in the camera and, well, expose it in the course of taking pictures.

That's a great point-- you'd think they'd use better terminology for gag reels than "unexposed footage."

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, they did say “footage”, not “film”. So if we’re going to be pedantic, let’s be properly pedantic.

So, ‘unexposed footage’ could refer to footage the public hasn’t been exposed to before.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
You're looking under the wrong thing

Amazon product

Final Season. That's why you're not finding it. CBS loves that damn "final season" labeling. They've even done it to Gunsmoke.

They should at least call it "The Fifteenth and Final Season" or something like that for people who don't automatically know what the final season was.

I'll check next week at wallyworld when I do my weekly shopping.

(As a tangential followup, which might sound really stupid).

Yesterday evening I did my weekly grocery shopping at a nearby Wallyworld, where I ended up impluse buying the Criminal Minds final season dvd set. (I didn't go to wallyworld on the Apr 14 week of release).

Initially I was grumbling about paying slightly more than the amazon price, and the fact that I could have just waited another six months for it to slide into the dump bin. I even took the time to check the dvd discs when I was in the car, to see if there is any obvious extensive disc damage (from the factory).

What completely change my mindset suddenly when I was driving out of the wallyworld parking lot and waiting at the traffic lights on stop, was a Lamborghini driving up and stopping slightly ahead of me in the next lane in full view. It was a sight to be seen and made my day! :)

(I live in cities where Lamborghinis are extremely rare).

That extra $15-$20 first week/month premium price over the eventual dumpbin price for that Criminal Minds dvd set, was completely worth the "price of admission" to see an actual real Lamborghini right in front of me in full view. (The last time I felt excited to see a real Lamborghini, was at a car show more than 20 years ago). :)

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I decided to compare the picture quality between this Criminal Minds final season dvd set, with the original broadcasts from earlier this year (January/February 2020) which I haven't deleted yet from the dvr.

As far as I can tell from watching the screen really close at around 1 to 2 feet away from my 65" large screen tv, the picture quality differences are almost indistinguishable. (I always turn off any and all video "enhancements" features on the tv and bluray player).

In spite of Criminal Minds being shot with modern 2K/4K resolution cameras, it appears the video is put through a softening "crappy-fying" filter, which makes it look like y2k era ntsc quality video. (The original NCIS also looks like it is doing the same thing with a "crappy-fying" video softening filter).

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Heh. Delayed releases.

Perhaps not too surprising at this current time. Some of the dvd/bluray discs manufacturing plants were possibly closed down recently due to covid19 stay-at-home orders.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
That Eureka! complete series bluray set with 12 discs, appears to be consistent with 6 or 7 episodes per bluray disc.

season 1 = 12 episodes --> 2 discs

season 2 = 13 episodes --> 2 discs

season 3 = 18 episodes --> 3 discs ?

season 4 = 21 episodes --> 3 discs ?

season 4 = 13 episodes --> 2 discs

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member