1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

TV on DVD news roundup

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by The Obsolete Man, Jun 10, 2018.

1. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    Bob is a great guy, but I'd rather have 92 episodes of Jack by himself.

BobO'Link and MartinP. like this.
  2. Scamp

Scamp Stunt Coordinator

Jason
  3. MartinP.

MartinP. Supporting Actor

Martin
    In looking into this a bit further...the Jack Benny set comes in three volumes.

--The first volume (5 discs) are the 10 Jack Benny Specials plus the Tribute Special.

--The second volume (3 discs) is all of the 18 episodes in Shout's release The Jack Benny Program: The Lost Episodes collection.

--The third volume (4 discs) contains 39 episodes, 32 of which are the Jack Benny Program and 7 are other programs he appeared on. Mill Creek has a collection available listing 39 episodes which appears to be the same as this. Reviews on Amazon say the quality of it isn't so good, I wonder if this one will be the same.

I have the Lost Episodes Collection already. I'd like the specials, but if the quality of the Third Volume isn't any better than what the Mill Creek collection is, you can buy that for $16 or so.

Flashgear likes this.
  4. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    I saw that as well, Why would Time Life re-release poor quality PD episodes? This is Time Life were talking about, like Shout, they do their best to restore shows to the best of their ability and then add hours of features as well.

5. rmw650

rmw650 Second Unit

Richard W
    Really hard to figure out what TL does anymore with these releases, such as their futile attempt to sell the entire series of The 3 Stooges that already was made available for months and months on time...just another money grab by TL is how I'm looking at this and then figuring this is TL as well, how this might get distributed through the retail sector like they've been doing with the Roasts, Carol Burnett show and a host of other releases they made in the past via exclusives and such. Good set but I'll pass on this UNLESS they can make that first volume with the TV specials and tributes available separately at a reasonable cost, then I'm in.

6. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Once upon a time I would have agreed with this. However their latest 3 Stooges release appears to be nothing but a repackage of previously released material. Reports are they didn't even bother to change the original menus and nothing was remastered. Some of that material was originally a MC release. I have all the prior releases that make up the two TL packages and spent less than half what TL wants for their versions. Based on that release there's no way I'll purchase this one before finding out exactly what's been done.

Flashgear likes this.
  7. John*Wells

John*Wells Supporting Actor

John