1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

TV on DVD news roundup

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by The Obsolete Man, Jun 10, 2018.

1. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    When did Rocky and Bullwinkle fall into Public Domain?

Makes sense, if a studio only gives you so much to work with, then you do your best to make it as near perfect as you can and then blast the studio in the press release as to why certain items are missing.

2. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Yes Shout is distributer or middleman they can only work with what they have. They do additional cleanup and create their own special features but if the studio isn't willing to restore something and release it themselves chances are minimal work was done when they give it to a distributer.

Jack K and bmasters9 like this.
  3. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

It's a little more complicated than that. Each "episode" was made up of several segments -- cartoons, intros, bumpers, etc., all of which were mixed and matched over the years. The original shows don't match the later syndicated shows, and neither matches the DVD versions. For instance, Dudley Do-Right didn't appear until the show moved to NBC.

All the cartoons are present and accounted for, just not (apart from the Rocky & Bullwinkle serials) in the original running order.

(Also not included are "Twinkles," which originally played on both "Rocky" and "King Leonardo," and "Commander McBragg," which was in the syndicated show. Neither was produced by Jay Ward.)

4. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    Really, I didn't know that about Dudley Do-Right, I thought he was there from the very beginning. I didn't know about Aesop and Son until the DVD's came out.

Wouldn't the original running order be on the master tapes, providing that the masters still exist.

What is Twinkles never heard of that. I don't remember seeing that cartoon on either Rocky & Bullwinkle, Underdog, or George Of The Jungle.

5. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Wow! You must have seen some truly cut up episodes! I watched in the late 50s/early 60s. Where I grew up R&B came on after Captain Kangaroo for a while. I always liked Dudley Do-Right, Aesop and Son, and Fractured Fairy Tales but not so much Rocky and Bullwinkle. That was mostly because of the serialized nature of their shorts. I had to get older to appreciate them and older still to get all the puns. As an adult was when I truly began to enjoy everything that was on offer.

I had to look up Twinkles myself - even though I also watched R&B on ABC. Twinkles is a flying elephant in ~90 second shorts of an educational nature. It had a General Mills tie-in cereal. I have no memory of either.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jack K and Timothy E like this.
  6. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    I saw The Program Exchange syndicated series on Nick and Cartoon Network in the 90's. TPE didn't included Aesop & Son.
    I loved the whole show, even though so much of it went over my head. I too didn't get all of the references and jokes until I saw again when the DVD's came out in the early 2000's.

I've never seen Twinkles until now, From the cereal box illustration it looks like a Little Golden Books character.

MatthewA likes this.
  7. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Supporting Actor

Benjamin
    I truly remember the Aesop & Son segments when it used to be on Nickelodeon...

~Ben

8. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    Bullwinkle's Moose-O-Rama was on Nick from 1991-1995, I was 3 in 91 so I don't remember Rocky and Bullwinkle that much until I watching it again once it moved over to Cartoon Network in 1996 and stayed their until 2002.

MatthewA and ClassicTVMan1981X like this.
  9. John*Wells

John*Wells Supporting Actor

John
  10. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Wow, I'd forgotten all about that until now. Now that you mentioned it, I think those were just the same versions The Program Exchange had been sending out to stations since the late 1980s, only with Nickelodeon's custom intro replacing the standard Bullwinkle Show opening. They didn't have the synthesized recreations of original music that the concurrent Buena Vista videotapes had.

11. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

"Twinkles" best I can tell, was first shown on "King Leonardo And His Short Subjects," but also appeared on "Rocky And His Friends." It was included in the 15-minute syndicated version of "The King And Odie" in the 1960s, but not the 1980s half-hour syndicated version.

Some years back I got hold of a few color Underdog half-hours which seem to be from later Saturday morning reruns -- they have all four parts of an Underdog adventure within one half-hour show, and also include Twinkles. So whenever those are from, Twinkles may have been shown that late?

Jack K likes this.
  12. John*Wells

John*Wells Supporting Actor

John
  13. Mark_M8

Mark_M8 Auditioning

[​IMG]
    This is listed as being released this Tuesday. I haven't seen it announced anywhere.

bmasters9 likes this.
  14. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    If it's supposed to be released this Tuesday, then why was I able to procure a copy of it for just $20 at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville yesterday (which I was)?

Flashgear likes this.
  15. Mark_M8

Mark_M8 Auditioning

I don't know. Walmart website has it as a pre-release for 29.34. So, you got it for a good price. Have you looked at it yet? Any comments on the wide-screen quality?

Flashgear and bmasters9 like this.
  16. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Weird that this is widescreen only, and the BD is OAR. I pre-ordered from Amazon out of curiosity only.

Flashgear likes this.
  17. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    Well, to be honest, it looks the best on televisions that are actually made for widescreen (which the one in my bedroom is; my brother gave it to me for a Christmas present last year).

18. Mark_M8

Mark_M8 Auditioning

When Kevin Burns did the remaster, he stated they would release the OAR on Blu, and make the widescreen available on digital. They never showed up on digital, at least not yet.

Bryan^H likes this.
  19. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    The WS for Me-TV etc. where they have been shown

20. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr