What's new

Tom V: question about svs and music (1 Viewer)

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
You might be talking about the 2nd track on one of the Sarah M albums--Surfacing I believe is the name of the album.
Right at the beginning of that track (and throughout the song) there is a *freaky* low bass note.
I know that bass note very well. The Surfacing CD was one of the CDs I used when auditioning speakers. You can hear that note on crappy PC speakers too, just not as clearly. It's more of a low electronic buzzing than a musical note, although it maintains the same pitch every time.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
I went home last night and dug out "Surfacing" to play track 2 on my Ultra. Good god--that's some crazy bass. Other findings:

If anybody has any Bjork, she's got some mean bass in some of her stuff.

Track one (Thousand Years) from Sting's "Brand New Day" album is awesome.

Anyone like Soul Coughing? Off "El Oso", Track 9 (Fully Retractable) has some low stuff.

Radiohead's "Amnesiac" and "Kid A" has some impressive bass too.

I'm systematically going through most of my DVD's and CD's since the arrival of my B-stock CS Ultra and S1000.

I've been smiling a lot more recently.

Thanks Ron and Tom,

Andy

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Take a listen to Track 11 on Tori Amos' "Strange Little Girls" album. There's some funky stuff there. Not quite as low as the one on the "Surfacing" CD, but if you have a decent sub, Track 11 will fill your room with rumbling bass waves. It's a very disconerting effect and the song as a whole will leave you a little weirded out.

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
Tom - can you take a look at "Telarc Surround Madness v5.1.03?" It is track one on the "Telarc 5.1 Surround Madness Sampler" DTS disc (CD not DVD) and as also on a few other DTS sampler discs. In the first 10 seconds there is some bass that seems to bottom out both my 16-46pc as well as a friend's plus, and a few minutes later when it sounds like they are walking through a barn it causes a similar clunk (only once, I think).
I looked at the driver while playing that first part of the track and it sure looks like it is extending a couple of inches, almost touching the bottom plate and there is a loud clunk a couple of times. Neither of us have ever consciously bottomed out a sub before, so I am not sure if this is what is really happening - especially since the base at that point is not too loud, we've heard a lot louder bass without that kind of clunk before and people have said "when you bottom out a sub, you will know it" but this just sounds like some rather muffled clunks. So far, it is the only track I've come across to do anything like this to my 16-46pc.
Here's a couple of semi-useful links to the disc, if you don't have it. I could probably arrange to have the first 20 seconds ripped and sent to you if need be.
Link Removed
http://www.digitaleyes.net/Details.cfm?info=402DTSCD

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
Jah-Wren,

How loud are you listening to this track? If it has extremely low bass and you are listening to it really loud then you could certainly bottom out the sub. Does the clip light flicker or peg on the amp of the CS+ your friend is using?

--Steve

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the clip light did flicker on his amp. But, the listening level is his regular listening level. It is not calibrated with a sound-meter, just 'ear-balled.' His sub is in his (unfinished) basement and we just noticed (listening to the apollo 13 track on the same sampler disc) that in the basement, the sense of bass is greatly reduced when compared to the rest of his house. Up stairs the walls are shaking, the windows rattling but in the basement, where the sub is, it is relatively calm and you don't feel much in your gut.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
The track that Tom measured for me is actually from "Angel", which has some roughly 10Hz stuff going on.
Here's the waterfall plot:
Link Removed
That's from my 16-46CS Subwoofer review.
There are some other interesting ones. The Lyle Lovett track Tom was thinking of has rather pedestrian 20Hz and just a very slight touch of sub 15Hz on it.
Here's the waterfall for the Lyle Lovett track:
Link Removed
You can check out a few more in my review, here's the link
Link Removed
Regards,

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I'm sure you've been really busy with the new drivers and the "secret" new product thats being introduced soon... but are you going to have the time to do graphs on any of this music anytime soon? And I also seem to remember someone requesting a graph for Unbreakable. If you could do that that would be awesome, but as I said, I know you've very busy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks