SVS PC20-39 PC Plus Blown?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DustinTaj, Jul 19, 2006.

1. DustinTaj

DustinTaj Stunt Coordinator

I have a question:

I purchased a PC 20-30 PC+ subwoofer back in August of 2003 based on everyone's recommendation here. I set it up and calibrated it back then, with the help of Tom V. Nothing has changed in my system since. I sent SVS an email this morning but haven't heard a response yet. I am a little sad about how the sub sounds now.

Here's the basis of the email I sent them:

__________________________________________________ ______________
    Hi. I ordered an SV20-39 PC+ nearly 3 years ago next month. It has served me quite well, and I have been nothing but satisfied with it (until the last week).

I have a problem with it now and I'm not quite sure why. I am 99% positive the driver is "blown" or damaged in some way. It still moves and makes some sound but those sounds are scratchy, sloppy, inaccurate, and (honestly) horrible. I don't know what to do!

It's odd, too, because nothing has changed in my system since I've had it. I spent quite a lot of time when I got it with a SPL, talking with Tom V (and Ron S) about my room curve, output levels, etc. I had it set up and calibrated @ slightly above reference levels quite nicely.

I typically watch movies at about 15-20 dB less than reference level on my receiver. While watching "King Kong" about 2 months ago, it made a strange noise. It may have "bottomed out" (I presume) - because I heard it "clack" once during a low frequency passage. I PROMPTLY turned down the volume and shrugged it off as being a movie which had an odd amount of bass (which isn't true - I've watched several with more than this in it's life).

I didn't notice a problem again until last Saturday when I was watching "The Matador." I was watching at 15 dB below reference and during 2 unforseen and suddenly-loud passages it clipped / clacked / made noise. This isn't really a sub-killing movie either. So, I turned the subwoofer level down (on receiver) and the volume down and continued watching the movie.

Last night when I put on some music, I noticed it sounded HORRIBLE. I thought something was loose. I felt under the bottom and found that if I put my finger on the rubber surround to the driver on one side it cleaned up the sound and if I put my finger on the same rubber piece on the other side (180 degrees away) it did NOT clear up the sound - and actually made it worse. Maybe something is damaged on one side? Voice coil?

I fed it a solid low frequency signal to make sure something in the crossover wasn't wrong (allowing high frequency's through), and it still sounded just as bad. I've taken it out of service because I'm sure the problem is the sub.

But I don't know what to do! I honestly don't feel like I've ever done anything to abuse it. I consider myself to be someone who takes very good care of my equipment. I have been pretty consistent in my movies and music taste and volume levels, and until recently it has never come close to bottoming out. I'm SURE I've thrown louder, lower things at it in the past - THE INCREDIBLES never ever had a problem, even at loud levels. And, I've put on some of those horrible "bass" CD's for some of my bass-enthusiast friends and had it humming loudly with no problems whatsoever.

I was just wondering what I should do and what could have happened.

It should still be under warranty I believe.

FYI:
    The sub was fed via "Sub Out" on the receiver. The sub's amp was set at about 10:00 on the volume knob. The receiver was set at between 0 and +2 (depending on what was listened to).

What do you think has happened?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The scratchy sound would seem to support that the voice coil is fried. Bottoming out is never a good thing. How did you have the ports configured?

3. DustinTaj

stock port configuration.

I found this on avsforum (from Ron @ SVS)

hmm..."several times a movie, every day?" NO WAY. "A few times" - only recently and for no apparent reason.

4. John Garcia

John
    I'd expect even one bottoming out event can potentially cause this, and you've had more than one. Though I would say it isn't common for one of their drivers to have this happen in one instance, I'm sure it does happen from time to time. I'm also sure they will take care of you [​IMG]

Tom or Ron responded to another post here sometime back and the response was essentially the same as what you quoted.

5. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek

I'm confused.... wouldn't setting the receiver between 0 and +2 imply reference levels or 2dB above reference? How big is your room?

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Dustintaj,

I believe you have already talked to Erik and you have a new driver on the way. You are still covered under warranty so this won't be any cost to you(unless you decide to upgrade to the 12.3 at this time). Installation of the new driver(either the 12.2 or the 12.3) is easy and should give you a bit of a boost in max output capabilities too. Please email me ( [email protected] ) if you have any problems installing the new driver once it arrives.

>>>I'm confused.... wouldn't setting the receiver between 0 and +2 imply reference levels or 2dB above reference?

7. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Thanks, Tom. No matter how many times I am corrected, I still manage to forget about the AVR speaker level setting.

8. DustinTaj

Thanks so much Tom.

I haven't yet received an email or talked to Erik, but I'll keep an eye out for that.

Also thanks to the others who responded.

And, to further clarify your question Derek (which I believe Tom answered), I meant I was watching movies 15 - 20 db below dolby reference levels (on volume control). And, the sub is typically set via it's speaker setup at 0 to +2. My receiver is at "reference" at 62, and I usually watch movies in the 40-47 range or so.

-DD

9. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Thanks, Dustin. It looks like we both listen at approximately the same levels. Out of curiousity, how big is your room?

10. DustinTaj

You know, I honestly forget. I have all that somewhere. It's big due to it being my living room - vaulted ceilings to an open loft. Also open to the back (entry way) and to one side (dining room).

11. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

SVS has one of the best customer support setups in the game.

Also, for $99, might as well step up to the new 12.3 (waiting on mine to ship this week). Get better driver and another 3yr warranty on it.

12. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Perfect time to upgrade your driver while your at it. Seriously, it really would. The minimal cost since Tom is replacing it anyway, coupled with the added headroom and performance would serve you well.

13. meeks

meeks Agent

The $99 upgrade special is already over. I believe its $169 or so now.

14. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Of course he would need to work it out with Tom, but it seems he might have a credit (choice?) coming his way due to warranty driver replacement, that could be transferred to the new driver along with whatever it take$ to make up the difference..

15. DustinTaj

Hmm...

If you all think it would be worth the upgrade, maybe I'll talk to Tom and see what that would cost me and if he thinks it would be worth it or if there would be any credit.

I guess you all think the new driver is better than the old one, eh?

16. John Garcia

John
    There is no better time to do that upgrade than now [​IMG]

17. DustinTaj

I just wanted to extend a thanks to SVS for their help with this issue. They've been very professional from day 1! They are going to send me a replacement (12.2) driver for my damaged driver as soon as I can get this one to them.

I'm not sure I can afford the full upgrade price to the 12.3, so I don't think I'll be doing that at this time. I have other things I need to devote that money to right now, anyway (wife, 1-year old, new baby in October...).

My sub had an older 12.1 driver in it, so I'm thinking even the replacement 12.2 will be an upgrade for me anyway, both in sonics and build quality. I really know nothing about the 12.1 or the 12.2, so who knows. I'm happy with the fact that my damaged driver is being replaced.

Erik and Tom, you've been most helpful.

Thanks again,

-DD

18. DougDoe

DougDoe Agent

[​IMG]

I've emailed SVS on several occasions with no response....

19. John Garcia

John
    Call them.

20. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>I've emailed SVS on several occasions with no response....