What's new

Tom V: question about svs and music (1 Viewer)

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Hey Tom, I was going back and forth with you on the home theatre spot board (carp) but I'm at work and forgot my password so I'll just post here.

My question is, for music only will there ever be a difference (other than pipe organs) between the 46+ and the smaller + subs as far as extention goes? Does no other instrument get low enough to make any difference at all? I know a bass guitar goes to around 40 hz I think, but what about the bass drum or bass that you hear/feel on a techno cd? If the organ really is the ONLY thing that will make a difference, then maybe I should consider the smaller cs+'s.

Thanks

Troy_K

Stunt Coordinator
Synth bass, like that you hear in techno and other music can go WELL below 40 hz. Subsonics (

some questions answered...
4 string bass guitars can go down to 40hz, 5 string bass guitars can go down to 32hz, bass drums have subsonics down to 7hz, and techno drums/synths can go well below 20hz. :)

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
I just looked around and found this web page that gives the lowest notes (and corresponding frequencies) for various musical instruments (not including synthesizers).
Apparently, the champion is a pipe organ in Sydney, Australia that can hit 8.18 hz. (Possibly within reach of a 16-46CS+ with two port plugs ??)
It also appears that the champion non-pipe organ is the much beloved octocontrabass clarinet which can hit 14.57 hz.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I've measured a lot of CDs, but it's extremely rare to see anything under 20hz besides pipe organs. There's always some weird stuff though...mostly backround stuff here and there. John Kotches and I found some strange stuff in a Lyle Lovitt track(or was it Sarah M?)...a low amptitude...rolling shudder in the 11-14hz range I think. BARELY audible...but there if you had a sub that could give it to you.

If pipe organs were not your cup of tea...I'd go with the 39s or the 31s for the loudest/cleanest music playback possible.(from the SV line).

"i"

TV

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
hey Tom- i found a song about a month ago that had some serious punch to it. is there any way of finding out how low the bass beat in Jay-Z's Hola Hovito is?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Sure, I'll do some more music measurements from my CD collection once the CS+ preorders are all shipped(next weekend should work fine).

Jay Z,Cypress Hill,Snoop,Beasties,Barry Manilow,Redman,Pod,Bizkit,P-roach,Gorillaz,,Ruff Ryders,DMC,all the classics...

Just email me/post any requests...and I'll do some 3-D waterfalls on them,

TV

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
TV,

You might be talking about the 2nd track on one of the Sarah M albums--Surfacing I believe is the name of the album.

Right at the beginning of that track (and throughout the song) there is a *freaky* low bass note.

I'm not what you'd call a fan of that artist, but my wife was listening to that CD the other day and when that track came on I rushed over to the CD player to hit "rewind" a few times. Never even heard that note with my last sub.

--Steve

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Beastie Boys - Putting Shame in Your Game (No. 9 on Hello Nasty): This song sounds AWESOME on my car stereo.

Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood : My favorite bassy song of last year.

Fear Factory - Shock : The metal band with the most bass. I've always wondered how low the double bass drums are and of course that EXPLOSIVE beat they throw in there.

Snake River Conspiracy - Casualty : Not sure if it's super-low, but damn is it super-loud.

Outkast - Rosa Parks, Prodigy - Smack my Bitch Up : These have what I refer to as aggrivating bass. It gets to be unbearable in my truck and makes you nauseated.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Leif, yeah I love Fear Factory. The do have a lot of bass in their albums, but the techno/metal remix of demanufacture has more bass than anything I've ever heard. I too wonder how low FF goes.

AaronMontgomery

Auditioning
I've got "The Great Fantasy Adventure Album" by Erich Kunzel & the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra and would like to see a waterfall on track 21 - "Jurassic Lunch". I currently do not have a sub in my system (SVS CS+ or PC+ in the near future) and this track crushes my puny Advent mains really hard. I don't hear anything, I just see the 8" woofs traveling far and fast. Tracks 3/5/19/20 might also be interesting to see.

These tracks are all astricked with the following caution:

Digital Sound Effects at high levels with infrasonic frequencies to 5 Hz. Please establish safe playback levels before playing tracks 3,5, 19, 20 and 21. Excessive playback levels could result in damage to equipment.

Let the testing begin!

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
aaron can you please post a link to an online retailer that sells that disc?! i'm really interested, esp since my 16-46CS+ should arrive next week!

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Check out Telarc's "Symphonic Star Trek". Specifically tracks:

"The Destruction of Praxis and Its Aftermath" (I want to do a waterfall on this one)

"Starship Flyby--Main Theme from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine"

"Humpback Whale Song"

And there might be others. These 3 were great. I've had this CD for years and never knew what kind of bass it had until I got my 25-31's. Very impressive.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Sheldon;

You may be surprised by how deep the bass goes in some music. Until I got my 16-46PC, I never really thought that I needed a music sub that could go below 30Hz, especially since I don't listen to rap and pipe organ music.

I've heard both the 16-46PC and the 20-39PC. Musically, they're both really good subs. Sonically they do have some interesting differences. I believe the 16-46PC is a smoother sub that will nicely fill in the lower end of the sound spectrum with tight and accurate bass. To this day, I'm surprised at how easy it is on the ears. The 20-39PC also provides great bass for music, but it sounds a bit more punchy than the 16-46PC. In other words, whenever there's a good bass hit, you'll feel it more in the air. I would imagine this would hold true moreso for the 25-31PC as well.

Of coure, I haven't heard the CS+ subs, so I can't say for certain if the same qualities will carry over to those models. However, I would think that some things would remain the same (deeper extension versus sheer SPLs).

In the end, whatever you decide to get will sound great and you will be more than happy with it.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Forgot about this one:

Mudvyane - Severed (Track 11 on 'L.D. 50')

Start the song off and nothing that special, then out of nowhere right at 1:05 there is a solid 20hz tone. (I was told 20hz, not sure though) Tried it with my pb12 tonight and noticed a little bit of sound. You could tell there was something going on. Kind of a fluffy sound, but it was there. When I play it in my truck, my battery gauge takes a major nosedive during that passage. My JL Audio 12w3s are in a sealed box so don't handle music that low very well.

Greg Lee

Agent
The album 'MOFRO' by a band called Blackwater has some good deep bass in it - it really gets my SVS25-31, and the mirror on the wall next to it, fired up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks